The Student Room Group

Oldest a 17 year old can date

Heyy 👋 my boyfriend is 17 and I'm a older only my close friends know about us, I was just curious to what you'd consider the oldest socially acceptable age for him to date and what also the oldest age would be that's not as socially acceptable but still reasonable

Scroll to see replies

It's hard to say because everyone has different opinions. I'm 19 and would feel a little strange even dating a 17 year old because we are at totally different points in our life. The oldest socially acceptable age is probably like 20? I think that's a bit too much of a gap personally though. As long as everyone is happy and there's no power imbalance do what you want
16-18 is always a bit of a grey area. The way I think about it is, 17 is a child. Although if you were a few years older it wouldn’t be so much an issue, as a 19 year old I would not date someone under 18. Would it be somewhat okay to date a 17yo? Most likely. I would not be comfortable in it myself.
I think of it as they are literally in year 12 whilst I have had a gap year and going to uni next year; we are at very different stages of life.

I’ve met people who are 21 and 17 and to be that was on the line!
A friend of mine is 18 almost 19 and with a 24yo, if I didn’t know him personally (and know he’s absolutely perfect for her)I would not think it was great. But they also met at work and I feel like age is a bit more irrelevant when you all work together.
But if you are older than 19 I would say until they turn 18 atleast it’s seen as less socially acceptable.
How old are you ? You are both over 16 and you aren’t in a position of trust so I guess you shouldn’t be bothered about other people’s opinions ??

Normally the guy is older in these relationships is another factor. I’m 18 and wouldn’t date anyone under 17, but that’s me.
9+10=21
Original post by Laurenalexa.x
It's hard to say because everyone has different opinions. I'm 19 and would feel a little strange even dating a 17 year old because we are at totally different points in our life. The oldest socially acceptable age is probably like 20? I think that's a bit too much of a gap personally though. As long as everyone is happy and there's no power imbalance do what you want

What's considered a power imbalance if both people in the relationship are happy I think it should be fine, I just wanted everyone's opinion on at what point it might not be.
Original post by ALEreapp
16-18 is always a bit of a grey area. The way I think about it is, 17 is a child. Although if you were a few years older it wouldn’t be so much an issue, as a 19 year old I would not date someone under 18. Would it be somewhat okay to date a 17yo? Most likely. I would not be comfortable in it myself.
I think of it as they are literally in year 12 whilst I have had a gap year and going to uni next year; we are at very different stages of life.

I’ve met people who are 21 and 17 and to be that was on the line!
A friend of mine is 18 almost 19 and with a 24yo, if I didn’t know him personally (and know he’s absolutely perfect for her)I would not think it was great. But they also met at work and I feel like age is a bit more irrelevant when you all work together.
But if you are older than 19 I would say until they turn 18 atleast it’s seen as less socially acceptable.

I'm 22 soon to be 23 so slightly younger than your friends girlfriend, I think It should matter too much as long as everyone is happy. I was just trying to figure out if some people might be against it simply because of what society is accepting towards
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 22 soon to be 23 so slightly younger than your friends girlfriend, I think It should matter too much as long as everyone is happy. I was just trying to figure out if some people might be against it simply because of what society is accepting towards

should not I mean
I'm 17 and wouldn't date anyone who is already at or been to uni. It's just two different ways of life.
How old are you ? You are both over 16 and you aren’t in a position of trust so I guess you shouldn’t be bothered about other people’s opinions ??

Normally the guy is older in these relationships is another factor. I’m 18 and wouldn’t date anyone under 17, but that’s me.

I'm 22 I think people just have different preferences personally I prefer someone's who's younger as they also look younger for longer which I prefer.
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
9+10=21

.?
21 is the max. It was a reference to a vine video.
.?
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
21 is the max. It was a reference to a vine video.

Oh okay I'm 1 year old which isn't much of a difference
What's considered a power imbalance if both people in the relationship are happy I think it should be fine, I just wanted everyone's opinion on at what point it might not be.

A power imbalance would occur when one person is much older than the other or in a position of trust/ power e.g., a teacher of any kind (Inc sports/ hobbies)
It really depends on where you are in your life. Uni students or workers dating high school/sixth formers is a little sus, for example.
I was 17 when I dated a 24 year old.
Nobody found it weird.
I married him

So 25 ish thereabouts I reckon for socially acceptable, but really it's legal even if the older person is 95.
Reply 17
19 is probably the max for me but mainly due to the fact that 17 in sixth form age whereas 19+ is uni and a uni student with a sixth former just feels odd
The bottom line: If there are no red flags and there's mutual compatibility, go for it. This is for dating.

If it escalates to sex, do be reminded the legal age of sexual consent in the UK is 16.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending