The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by samba
As I said, you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, whether RVP/Rooney or both are off, or how much we have to spend. We're hardly 'overstocked' - we have 1 striker, RVP. And hernandez.

First of all you just mentioned 2 strikers, and we have 4 btw. And yeah you have no idea either, all of that is just speculation and until someone comes out and says that either rvp or Rooney are leaving I'd be vehemently against this transfer.

Why do we even need to replace Rooney or rvp with Cavani? We have no centre midfielders why aren't we spending 60mil on one or two of those? 60mil is almost double our record fee ever why on earth do we need to spend it on a striker when we have one of the best in the world and we literally have no centre midfielders, no decent left back and in desperate need of a cb as our 2 most experienced ones are leaving.

Even if we do have 150mil to spend were then spending a third of it on a striker literally addressing none of our problem areas with a huge chunk of our budget already gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Instead of spending 60 million on someone like Cavani, another high profile player such as Vidal who would probably cost a bit less (30-40mil?) and would most likely end up being more effective in the long run would be better
Reply 182
There are loads of names being thrown around in here, but I don't see many of them as being very likely. I think United will end up buying lesser known players, as they're not in a great position to go out and buy the big names. If someone like Vidal was available, plenty of clubs would be in for him, and United wouldn't be high up on his list.
Yeah, you do have a point. I've always really liked Vidal so I'm probably biased and want him to come more than anything, the chances probably aren't that likely I guess.
Reply 184
Original post by xDave-
There are loads of names being thrown around in here, but I don't see many of them as being very likely. I think United will end up buying lesser known players, as they're not in a great position to go out and buy the big names. If someone like Vidal was available, plenty of clubs would be in for him, and United wouldn't be high up on his list.

We have the monies. Only teams with more money than us are bayern and Madrid and neither of them would probably sign Vidal as both have very good midfielders already. Due to ffp we could easily outbid City or Chelsea, City apparently getting a heavy fine and restriction on champions league squad size due to failing ffp so they need to be careful now. PSG same although not sure if they will stop their heavy spending even if they do get the sanctions so maybe they could outbid us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saf94
We have the monies. Only teams with more money than us are bayern and Madrid and neither of them would probably sign Vidal as both have very good midfielders already. Due to ffp we could easily outbid City or Chelsea, City apparently getting a heavy fine and restriction on champions league squad size due to failing ffp so they need to be careful now. PSG same although not sure if they will stop their heavy spending even if they do get the sanctions so maybe they could outbid us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you still only have a limited amount, first it was 200m being thrown around, now its 150m. i doubt youll spend over 100m tbh. A fine to City/Chelsea/PSG is literally less than a slap on the wrist, nothing will happen wrt to squad size in CL either. Arsenal also have around 100m to spend but again we wont spend all of that, we also need a WC striker but we know thats unlikely to happen so would settle for the likes of Mandzukic or Drmic (Inb4 Arsenal are smalltime).

You'll get a few household names and a few unknowns/potential players, but not a full team of galacticos or a full team of young prodigies which has been suggested.
Reply 186
Original post by Saf94
Due to ffp we could easily outbid City or Chelsea, City apparently getting a heavy fine and restriction on champions league squad size due to failing ffp so they need to be careful now. PSG same although not sure if they will stop their heavy spending even if they do get the sanctions so maybe they could outbid us.

I don't think a fine is going to stop them, not will losing a few players from the huge squad you can list. They can even appeal that ruling yet, if they decide to.

Original post by Saf94
We have the monies. Only teams with more money than us are bayern and Madrid and neither of them would probably sign Vidal as both have very good midfielders already.

Bayern probably wouldn't go for Vidal, but Madrid would certainly be interested. Barca would probably be interested too, and Chelsea could do with revamping their midfield. City would probably go for him if he was available too, and there's no reason why Liverpool wouldn't consider it. PSG might not go for him, but Monaco may well do. So there are plenty of clubs that can spend equal to or more than what United would offer, and they can all offer big wages too. And they can offer Champions League football (as can Vidal's currently club), with the prospect of winning trophies domestically too.

So buying big name players will be very difficult.
Reply 187
Why do I keep seeing Vidal's name popping up in this thread?

Last I heard he was very happy at Juve?
Original post by zKlown

Yeh you're right, he isn't going anywhere. I've said this in here and in other places so many times, he's got Juve's titles tattooed on his arm ffs.
Original post by zKlown

This.
Reply 190
:reddevil:
Reply 191
So, what's up with Januzaj? I'm guessing Giggs didn't play him because he wanted experienced players on his debut? Any noises from OT about him?
Reply 192
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
you still only have a limited amount, first it was 200m being thrown around, now its 150m. i doubt youll spend over 100m tbh. A fine to City/Chelsea/PSG is literally less than a slap on the wrist, nothing will happen wrt to squad size in CL either. Arsenal also have around 100m to spend but again we wont spend all of that, we also need a WC striker but we know thats unlikely to happen so would settle for the likes of Mandzukic or Drmic (Inb4 Arsenal are smalltime).

You'll get a few household names and a few unknowns/potential players, but not a full team of galacticos or a full team of young prodigies which has been suggested.

Not a bad post really. Truth is we have no idea how much it actually is, or whether we'll spend it all in the summer and aim for the title, or aim to stabilise and then spend jan/next summer. We also have no idea whether Rooney/RVP, or both will be going, and won't for a while. Nobody knows what the hell is going through the glazers minds really.

I suspect we'll go for a mix of experience and some youngsters, but we won't know who for a while.

I'd like to say to the people on this thread my 'realistic targets' post was just that, a list of names we could/should feasibly target. The likes we WILL target a player like Tah for example, are very low. If I had to pick one target off that list who I feel would be a perfect fit, is available, and is cheap, it'd be Balanta, but I'm almost certain we won't get him either. We MIGHT get one vidal, one di maria, plus a shaw or something, but who knows.

Please don't take my posts too seriously; it's just a [fairly educated] fans views of who I'd like to see us bring in.
Original post by sr90
Yeh you're right, he isn't going anywhere. I've said this in here and in other places so many times, he's got Juve's titles tattooed on his arm ffs.
Tbf, that doesn't really mean much. It would mean a lot if you had a brain but the vast majority of people, especially footballers don't. They will tattoo the name of a girl they have been dating for a couple of months on their arm ffs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 194
Vidal would only leave to bumper up his wages and/or attempt for a UCL medal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope we don't give it to giggs
People need to realise that we'll never sign Vidal. No chance.
Reply 197
Original post by Over2you
Also, who's dictating who we're signing? As far as I know, we don't have a manager!

Rooney, of course. :lol:

Poor fella
I was going to put a tenner on Athletico to win the Champions League midway through the group stages but never got round it. Absolutely gutted lol

Latest