The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RVP

Mata
Januzaj Vidal Herrera Di Maria
:nooo:

Spoiler

Reply 5981
Why are people calling a man who scored 36 goals in all competitions last year including goals in El Clasico/CL Semi Final etc. And 20 goals the season before whilst on the wing to accommodate Falcao a flop because he didn't score for Spain in a World Cup where a) everyone schooled them and b) they were not set up to his strengths so it was obvious that he wouldn't excel? It's a bit baffling tbh the guy hasn't even played a match yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5982
Sad to see a team with so fee English players, but it has to be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Why are people calling a man who scored 36 goals in all competitions last year including goals in El Clasico/CL Semi Final etc. And 20 goals the season before whilst on the wing to accommodate Falcao a flop because he didn't score for Spain in a World Cup where a) everyone schooled them and b) they were not set up to his strengths so it was obvious that he wouldn't excel? It's a bit baffling tbh the guy hasn't even played a match yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know man.

It's not even like its his first good season as well. scored 20 goals the season before and at Rayo Vallecano got 11 goals in 17 appearances. Honestly see this working out like Sturridge to Liverpool. They've both undergone similar career paths, they've played as forwards out of position, went on loan, did well there. Come back, do ok in their first season. Play in their preferred position the next season and have a standout season.

They're around the same age too and if I'm being honest begs the question, why did Chelsea sell Sturridge?
(edited 9 years ago)
I dont see the need to buy a CB, just promote one from the youth squad

Y'all might think im crazy but if we strengthen the midfield then the defence will be appropriately protected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

if we want to stay, or should I say, climb back to the top, it is much needed.
Original post by jam278
Not really a poacher. He's a target man, he has decent enough finishing personally.

Torres was also the best CF in the world, he got injured, lost his pace and has been rubbish since. Anybody suggesting we go for an injured player for 50M+ is deluded, you're even assuming that Monaco want to sell, and that Falcao wants to go. This is football manageritis.

Cavani will cost a shedload and the quicker people realise that we aren't going to pay 50M+ for another striker the sooner they'll realise why we aren't going for Cavani and Falcao. We chased for Rooney last summer, because he was valued by us for around 35M, we then buy a striker around 32M the next summer. Is this a coincidence, or is it the profile of player we were searching for up top?

We don't have the money for a Cavani, simply because of FFP, it's unwise to go for him. There is also the style of play argument, Costa plays in a team that closely resembles Atlético Madrid in playing style. PSG do not play the same football as Chelsea, neither do Monaco.

Quite clearly you didn't watch Costa last season because he is not a target man. He scored one or two headed goals last season. Most of his goals were scored with good movement leaving him in one on one situations with the opposition keeper.

The fact that you compared him to Drogba before is funny, because the two players are nothing alike.
Original post by little_tom
Quite clearly you didn't watch Costa last season because he is not a target man. He scored one or two headed goals last season. Most of his goals were scored with good movement leaving him in one on one situations with the opposition keeper.

The fact that you compared him to Drogba before is funny, because the two players are nothing alike.

I have watched his movement, even for spain you see him make runs in behind the players but the players play too slow to actually make use of his runs and he's not the fastest player around so you have to release him in early. However the guy can hold up the ball very well. Probably more complete forward than target man tbf. I say he's not a poacher as he can link up well with the other players.

When did I compare him to drogba as well? I've never compared him to Drogba. That was clearly kutta saying that he doesn't see a Drogba type player in him, not me saying that he plays like Drogba.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5988
Chelsea thread please :teeth:

Thank you please.
Reply 5989
Original post by Rafa

Thank you please.

Why? It's the off-season, it's all interlinked anyway :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
I don't know man.

It's not even like its his first good season as well. scored 20 goals the season before and at Rayo Vallecano got 11 goals in 17 appearances. Honestly see this working out like Sturridge to Liverpool. They've both undergone similar career paths, they've played as forwards out of position, went on loan, did well there. Come back, do ok in their first season. Play in their preferred position the next season and have a standout season.

They're around the same age too and if I'm being honest begs the question, why did Chelsea sell Sturridge?

Cause they had your favourite player Fernando Torres banging in the goals :ahee:
Reply 5991
Original post by FKLW
Why? It's the off-season, it's all interlinked anyway :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok please :teeth:
Original post by Rafa

Thank you please.

Meh, people went into discussion about whether United will make 4th on the Arsenal thread and there's a convo on United spending money on the Liverpool thread.

Lets not mention the repeated digs at Liverpool's spending. It happens on these threads.
Reply 5993
Original post by jam278
Meh, people went into discussion about whether United will make 4th on the Arsenal thread and there's a convo on United spending money on the Liverpool thread.

Lets not mention the repeated digs at Liverpool's spending. It happens on these threads.

Apologies mate, I didn't realise. I don't get out much past the United Soc :redface:
Reply 5994
This is what I mean. You know what I'm talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5995
Original post by FKLW
This is what I mean. You know what I'm talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean?
Reply 5996
Not gonna say but the true people know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5997
Fair enough.
Original post by Rafa
Fair enough.

No worries. Every football thread for the summer is interrelated xD.
Original post by Dirtybit
RVP

Mata
Januzaj Vidal Herrera Di Maria

:nooo:

Spoiler

Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

English players offer no more value any more unless they come from the youth academy. Look at how much we paid for Shaw, if he was French you could half the fee. Not to mention how overrated some English players are. Just look at the England team lol, Germany played a "Young" team back in 2010 and they got to the SF, we played our "young stars" in 2014 and got kicked out at the group stages without winning a game. There is a lack of talent, and of the few talented players left, they are really expensive. If you apply the basic economic theory of supply and demand, there is a small pool and talent and high demand thus they are expensive.

To fix the problem we need to increase the pool of talent:

Which would give clubs with the talented young English players less room to bargain :smile:

Latest