The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/june2010-qp/6PH04_01_que_20100618.pdf

someone please help me with question 16? how does a capacitor provide constant voltage?
Reply 41
Original post by shona_x.
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/june2010-qp/6PH04_01_que_20100618.pdf

someone please help me with question 16? how does a capacitor provide constant voltage?

I got stuck on this question before
basically what i understood by my physics teacher is that capacitor charges up very quick but discharges very slowly(exponentially) so by the time voltage drops and rises capacitor discharges very little. so with little fluctuation it is kept about constant.
hope it helped :smile:
Any predictions that might come up in this paper? I think there will be a big question on transformers they have hardly used that in past papers.
Original post by Bella_R95
Any predictions that might come up in this paper? I think there will be a big question on transformers they have hardly used that in past papers.

Any notes on transformers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jtbteddy
Any notes on transformers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

® Transformers work by electromagnetic induction. An alternating current flowing in the primary coil produces a magnetic flux. The magnetic field is passed through the iron core to the secondary coil, where it induces an alternating voltage of the same frequency.
® Step up transformers increase voltage by having more secondary coils.
Step down transformers reduce the voltage by having fewer coils in the secondary coil
Reply 45
Has anyone got any useful revision notes on this unit ?
Reply 46
Original post by 13142vp
I got stuck on this question before
basically what i understood by my physics teacher is that capacitor charges up very quick but discharges very slowly(exponentially) so by the time voltage drops and rises capacitor discharges very little. so with little fluctuation it is kept about constant.
hope it helped :smile:

Thanks for this!! Helped a lot x
Reply 47
Original post by 13142vp
cool thanks
question 13 part (b)
see attached

Where did you get this paper and do you have unit 2 jan 2014 ?
Reply 48
Original post by mar007

see attached i got the unit 5 one as well :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by mar007

uploading unit 2 question paper giving me problems
Wohoo at last found the Unit 4 Thread :P
How are we all feeling? Prepared?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
How to do UNIT 4-JAN 2013 paper question 15 c) ii) I know we are suppose to use a quarter instead of three quarter but I still can't get the answer.
1402189853379.jpg
Guys an explanation to why b is the answer would be appreciated:tongue:

Not by process of elimination pleaee
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mar007
How to do UNIT 4-JAN 2013 paper question 15 c) ii) I know we are suppose to use a quarter instead of three quarter but I still can't get the answer.

Well, youve got the value of the initial current and the voltage. V=IR, so use that to find R

Youve also got the value of the tine constant which = RC, so use that to find C
Reply 55
Why do you know the current or emf is induced ?
Reply 56
Original post by JoshThomas
1402189853379.jpg
Guys an explanation to why b is the answer would be appreciated:tongue:

Not by process of elimination pleaee

Switch is opened

Magnetic field in right coil collapses

Left coil quickly reacts by producing a large EMF to compensate for the change
Reply 57
Original post by mar007
Why do you know the current or emf is induced ?

Simply put, when talking about magnets and coils, the magnetic flux induces an EMF. Always. Sometimes, if the resistance is low enough, this will mean a current, but not necessarily. So you always put EMF.
Reply 58
Original post by Nough
Simply put, when talking about magnets and coils, the magnetic flux induces an EMF. Always. Sometimes, if the resistance is low enough, this will mean a current, but not necessarily. So you always put EMF.

I'm still confused with it. D:
Original post by MO2898
Switch is opened

Magnetic field in right coil collapses

Left coil quickly reacts by producing a large EMF to compensate for the change

Thanks a lot!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending