The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

The reputations of Exeter, Bristol and Durham?

I have to make my final choice of which Uni I want to go to soon and I have set my heart on Exeter really. I absolutely loved it! I could truly imagine myself there. However, I'm very concerned about the university's reputation/ranking: Is Exeter actually that good? (Hopefully). I would be turning down an offer from both Bristol and Durham... HELP!
Original post by dreamerkid
I have to make my final choice of which Uni I want to go to soon and I have set my heart on Exeter really. I absolutely loved it! I could truly imagine myself there. However, I'm very concerned about the university's reputation/ranking: Is Exeter actually that good? (Hopefully). I would be turning down an offer from both Bristol and Durham... HELP!

Overall both Bristol and Durham are generally viewed as having a better reputation than Exeter, however Exeter is still a University that has very good figures for graduate employment, and in some courses is very well respected.

What course are you applying for? If we knew that it would be much easier to give you an accurate answer.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
It's so strange that I've found this because i feel like I'm in exactly the same boat right now! I've applied for law at Exeter and Durham and I've been leaning closer to Exeter because it just feels right for me but I can't get over the worry that Durham has a better reputation and therefore will have better job prospects etc... would you say that Exeter has a good reputation too? I need help!!!
Also, what course have you applied for?
Reply 3
I decided to 'follow my heart' in the end and apply to Exeter to study Biology! Thanks for the reply though! I'm just hoping the differences in prestige of Russell Group universities isn't too significant in the job market!
Reply 4
Original post by angel456987
It's so strange that I've found this because i feel like I'm in exactly the same boat right now! I've applied for law at Exeter and Durham and I've been leaning closer to Exeter because it just feels right for me but I can't get over the worry that Durham has a better reputation and therefore will have better job prospects etc... would you say that Exeter has a good reputation too? I need help!!!
Also, what course have you applied for?

I applied for Biological Sciences. I honestly think you should just follow your heart and go where you prefer. I'm not sure if the difference in reputation is significant enough to let it change your decision, especially as most employers just flick over the degree to ensure it is sufficient before concentrating on the individual themselves. It was sad to let Durham go, but a friend of mine's Dad is the head of a banking firm and he said "a degree from either Exeter or Durham would bag you an interview, after that the degree is pretty much forgotten and they concentrate on the interview". Good luck with your decision though! Maybe see you at Exeter :smile:
Reply 5
Both seem rather interchangeable in terms of reputation for a lot of the courses and and in general. Also the difference between durham and and exeter is the type of campus aka exeter is a self contained campus whereas Durham is spread all of the city with halls and classrooms been right next to 'normal' buildings.
I had to choose between Exeter and Durham, but frankly, reputation didn't come into it.

All the Durham students I met were unpleasant and I didn't like the staff much either, whereas I got a really good feeling from Exeter so I chose to go there. It was definitely the right decision!!!

It's a beautiful campus, great staff, lovely city; all round amazing! (and I had a friend who went to Durham and she's not very happy at all)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending