The Student Room Group

Access Course

Is it possible to get into a decent university for mathematics via an access course? I would prefer to do a joint major of mathermatics and physics. I have seen that some universities accept it but I have been told that A level students take precedence. The most elite universities wont accept it(not alone anyway) and the few that I have seen suggest you take the AEA or STEP exams. I don't know where I would take these. I have heard they are harder than A levels.
Reply 1
There's a member on this website that got into oxford(law)with just an access course...
idk if that helps much,sorry :/
Reply 2
Original post by XaberrantX
Is it possible to get into a decent university for mathematics via an access course? I would prefer to do a joint major of mathermatics and physics. I have seen that some universities accept it but I have been told that A level students take precedence. The most elite universities wont accept it(not alone anyway) and the few that I have seen suggest you take the AEA or STEP exams. I don't know where I would take these. I have heard they are harder than A levels.

It all depends by what you mean by a "decent" university. It's unlikely that an access course would give you the sort of background you'd need for an intensive course at a top university, and maths is a subject that is highly foundational i.e. builds on prior knowledge and skill (unlike, say, Law which doesn't have any absolute prerequisites).

Have you already completed A Levels? What grades / module marks did you get?

AEA and STEP are administered by exam boards in the same way as A Levels, so you would have to find yourself an exam centre that would allow you to sit them as a private candidate, but they are tough - you don't just sit down for a week and practise A level questions then expect to be able to pass them!

There was a guy on here a couple of years ago who got really bad A level grades but was passionate about studying Maths or Physics. He did a Foundation Degree somewhere and then I think he was accepted onto a Masters course at Durham, so it's not impossible to take a non-standard route as long as you accept that it requires time and a lot of hard work!
Reply 3
I'm currently 29 and had unconditional offers this year to study physics at King's College, Queen Mary's and University of Hertfordshire.
I completed the first year of an Open University Natural Sciences degree to gain a Certificate in Higher Education. In the modules I chose to do a 30 credit maths module and a 10 point astronomy module.

When doing my research I found that many universities would rather have A levels, however this can be difficult as a mature student. Access courses are great, but universities (especially Oxbridge and other Russell Group) will favour applicants with a levels. I made the decision to go for a level 4 qualification (Cert HE) over an access course (level 3) making sure I had appropriate evidence of an interest in the subject and mathematical ability.

It is very important to show evidence of what you can do! How do I know this? I applied last year with my current qualifications and didn't get any offers. This year I applied again and sent of portfolios containing mathematics and physics assignments that I completed for the OU. Got 3 offers.

There are pro's and con's to going through this route, however, I think it shows the uni you are capable of degree level study.

I didn't consider applying to Oxbridge as I felt I'd never stand a chance of getting in. My average result through my Cert HE was about 85% (which probably equates to 3 - 4 A* grades over chemistry, biology, physics and maths.) To be entirely fair, I didn't expect to get offers from King's or Queen Mary's. So maybe I should have tried, but I am very happy with my firm option, it would have been my first choice anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by davros
It all depends by what you mean by a "decent" university. It's unlikely that an access course would give you the sort of background you'd need for an intensive course at a top university, and maths is a subject that is highly foundational i.e. builds on prior knowledge and skill (unlike, say, Law which doesn't have any absolute prerequisites).

Decent for me would be a university degree that actually leads to gainful employment. Many people I know that went to universities below the top 50 are unemployed. Only the people from top 20 universities and/or Russel Group ones got a good job afterwards. There were few exceptions which were people with internships, experience, contacts, exceptionally skilled etc. Ideally I would like to get into somewhere like Kings College, Maybe even UCL at best. I know anything higher than that is out of my league. I don't want to go to anywhere below the status of somewhere like Queen Mary University. Prestige does matter since graduates are a dime a dozen now.

Original post by davros

Have you already completed A Levels? What grades / module marks did you get?

No I haven't completed A levels before. Actually I had a year 5 education in mathematics till recently. I am doing the GCSE right now and finished the material some months ago. So I literally did all those years of schooling in 6 months and that's not all I was doing. THey predicted me an A* since I get around 56+/66 on the practice papers. so I am going through a pure maths now. http://tinyurl.com/pgcef5b I hope I can finish finish the whole A level material by the end of the year then I can just focus on understanding. Depending on the difficulty of the STEP exams I may not be able to fully understand everything in time. I did some AMC questions and they make the GCSE and AS questions look like a joke. Even better olympiad type questions are beyond me. If the STEP exams are like that then i'll need 2-3 more years to prepare.

Original post by davros

AEA and STEP are administered by exam boards in the same way as A Levels, so you would have to find yourself an exam centre that would allow you to sit them as a private candidate, but they are tough - you don't just sit down for a week and practise A level questions then expect to be able to pass them!

There was a guy on here a couple of years ago who got really bad A level grades but was passionate about studying Maths or Physics. He did a Foundation Degree somewhere and then I think he was accepted onto a Masters course at Durham, so it's not impossible to take a non-standard route as long as you accept that it requires time and a lot of hard work!

Actually I think I may be good enough to go into research and contribute something useful but if I'm not then I would like my degree to be respected by employers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by benh84
I'm currently 29 and had unconditional offers this year to study physics at King's College, Queen Mary's and University of Hertfordshire.
I completed the first year of an Open University Natural Sciences degree to gain a Certificate in Higher Education. In the modules I chose to do a 30 credit maths module and a 10 point astronomy module.

When doing my research I found that many universities would rather have A levels, however this can be difficult as a mature student. Access courses are great, but universities (especially Oxbridge and other Russell Group) will favour applicants with a levels. I made the decision to go for a level 4 qualification (Cert HE) over an access course (level 3) making sure I had appropriate evidence of an interest in the subject and mathematical ability.

It is very important to show evidence of what you can do! How do I know this? I applied last year with my current qualifications and didn't get any offers. This year I applied again and sent of portfolios containing mathematics and physics assignments that I completed for the OU. Got 3 offers.

There are pro's and con's to going through this route, however, I think it shows the uni you are capable of degree level study.

I didn't consider applying to Oxbridge as I felt I'd never stand a chance of getting in. My average result through my Cert HE was about 85% (which probably equates to 3 - 4 A* grades over chemistry, biology, physics and maths.) To be entirely fair, I didn't expect to get offers from King's or Queen Mary's. So maybe I should have tried, but I am very happy with my firm option, it would have been my first choice anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping the STEP exam would provide evidence for my mathematicaly capability. I am worried I might not be able to get a 1 which they usually require. However as long as I get a conditional then it's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest