The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doctoreleanor
I got towards the plate on the left and -30, not sure if that's right though! :smile:

Think thats what I put as well :smile:
Reply 1181
Original post by EdenHazard
Did anyone get a big value for resistance? like to the 6 I think it was?

think I got like 480000 ohms or something. Must be wrong but then again the current was very low so i've absolutely no idea. I just numbers in the formula.
Reply 1182
Original post by Bob296
what did everyone get for the displacement from point p on that circle question (section a)?

Original post by Bob296
what did everyone get for the displacement from point p on that circle question (section a)?

0.16m
The gpe and elastic potential are equal at equalibrium

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danielmoreton12
What did you get?

B :biggrin:
Original post by Ryejd
I mentioned that the electrons accumulate on the plate, and this results in the flow of electrons reducing as they experience and electrostatic force of repulsion.

I don't know man, this wasn't a great paper for me

That's spot on mate that's exactly what happens!
Original post by doctoreleanor
I got towards the plate on the left and -30, not sure if that's right though! :smile:

I said this as well, because the field was going to the right (more positive to less positive) so a negative ion would experience a force to the left, being attracted to the more positive plate. And since it's attracted, it loses energy.
(Could be wrong though don't take this as the answer)
Reply 1188
Original post by BigBadJFly
I thought that geostationary was used for communications :s-smilie:

They can be, but non-geostationary can be as well.
If you've ever used a Satellite phone, you'll know that you sometimes have to wait for a satellite to move into your range. They're comms satellites and they aren't geosynchronous
Did anyone get the resistance value for the capacitance question to be around 540?

Snap!
Original post by Davelittle
Towards X and it gained 30eV of potential energy because you were moving it in the opposite direction to the force

I said to left, but I put that it lost PE though, but that was just a guesstimate :biggrin:
Reply 1192
Original post by wofldog
As I recall there were no units on the Y-axis; nowhere does it indicate the potential energy was 0 when it was minimum. For some reason in physics you're allowed to draw axes which don't start at 0 (?!?!).

I thought it did say zero at the bottom. It didn't put a max value on the y-axis but I remember being confused that it said zero at the bottom of the y-axis. Maybe it didn't and i'm being a fool but I thought I saw a zero.
Reply 1193
Original post by Mandragoran
0.16m

you mean 1.6m? if so then woop woop!
Original post by jcarz
think I got like 480000 ohms or something. Must be wrong but then again the current was very low so i've absolutely no idea. I just numbers in the formula.

Me too, around about 430000 I think

It doesn't lose (-)30ev of potential energy it gains it, you're moving it away from where it wants to go (opposite direction to the force) so have to put work in to move it therefore it gains 30eV of potential energy
Reply 1196
Original post by Ryejd

nice!!:biggrin:
Reply 1197
Original post by jcarz
Agreed. Surely it's not zero at any point?

Its zero at the equilibrium position because all potential (elastic or gravitational) has been converted to kinetic energy
I got the time period for the spring wrong
Will I get error carried forward for the spring constant?!?! :'(
Original post by Bob296
you mean 1.6m? if so then woop woop!

Whatever twice the radius was is the answer, that has been on so many old spec papers!

Latest

Trending

Trending