The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I agree though. That 20mm 0.5F question could have been FAR more clear.

If I ever meet the guys who make these papers I may have to restrain myself.
Original post by phypsymat
Did anyone else not understand question 13 in section A? it was about two points and the distance between but I couldn't understand what they wanted so I wrote down part of the question: "when the distance between the points is 20mm, the force they exert is 0.5F. what is the distance, d? 7mm, 14mm, 15mm, 28mm."
There was no other information so isn't the distance 20mm as stated..? or am I the only one to misunderstand this..?

This confused me so much, I just thought 'they've answered their own chuffing question here'

Then I realised that that was the distance for 0.5F and they wanted the distance for F (1F).
I think I ended up dividing 20 by root 2 (as force is proportional to 1/r^2) so kinda inversed it all? It came out as 14.142.... so just assumed it was 14.
Took me ages though to understand what it wanted me to do aha!
Reply 1582
Original post by Boyd Fisher
SECTION B- Answers I can remember and stuff: CORRECTED

Question 1: Gravitation (14 marks)
1) Vector quantity-- force per unit mass on a small test mass placed a distance r from the CoM of an object (2)
2) derive: g=GM/(R+h)^2 (2)
3) Force= 2450N (3sf) (3)
4) prove time period is around 7.97hrs ish, then say 3 orbits in 24hrs (5)
5) any polar orbitting satellite uses e.g mapping, weather... and explanation (2)

Question 2: Fields (10 marks)

1) Force acts to the left; anthying like direction of field is N-->S, attracts positive side, opposite charges, all of that (2)
2) Use F= Wd/distance, forgot number sorry :/ (2)
3) Use E= F/3e, again forgot number soryy (1)
3) Force acts downwards, must be perp. to direction of current and field, apply Flemmings left hand rule (2)
4) proof of number of electrons, normal (1)
5) B= 0.16T ; could have worked out with BIl or BQv (2)

Question 3: SHM (14 marks)
1) elastic and gravitational potentials (1)
2) This was bit tricky, depends on where you said GPE= 0, but general concept is or normal SHM, maybe mention air resistance and friction which could cause energy loss too (2)
3) time period= 0.8s, general explanation about number of maximums or number of times total potential= 0 (2)
4) draw -cos graph, should have had 1.5 waves (2)
5) k=21.6 N/m (3)
6) prove its 43mm i think i got :biggrin: (4)

Question 4: Capacitors (12 marks)
1) C= 61.3 x 10^-6(3)
2) R= 8.4 x 10^5 (3)
3) 6 marker: Could talk about, flow of electrons from B to A, rate of flow decreases with time, V of capacitor increase with time, V or resistor decreases with time, when fully charged, V on capacitor= same as pd supply and that on R is 0. Electric energy--> KE to move electrons--> chemical in storage in capacitor. When switched moved, voltage, current and charge over capacitor drops...and more but too much typing

My markscheme page 73 >>>>> this bs because you copied me ffs :P
Original post by Felix Ivers
This confused me so much, I just thought 'they've answered their own chuffing question here'

Then I realised that that was the distance for 0.5F and they wanted the distance for F (1F).
I think I ended up dividing 20 by root 2 (as force is proportional to 1/r^2) so kinda inversed it all? It came out as 14.142.... so just assumed it was 14.
Took me ages though to understand what it wanted me to do aha!

chuffing hell mate, that's what i put too!!!
SECTION B- Answers I can remember and stuff: COPIED

Question 1: Gravitation (14 marks)
1) Vector quantity-- force per unit mass on a small test mass placed a distance r from the CoM of an object (2)
2) derive: g=GM/(R+h)^2 (2)
3) Force= 2450N (3sf) (3)
4) prove time period is around 7.97hrs ish, then say 3 orbits in 24hrs (5)
5) any polar orbitting satellite uses e.g mapping, weather... and explanation (2)

Question 2: Fields (10 marks)

1) Force acts to the left; anthying like direction of field is N-->S, attracts positive side, opposite charges, all of that (2)
2) Use F= Wd/distance, forgot number sorry :/ (2)
3) Use E= F/3e, again forgot number soryy (1)
3) Force acts downwards, must be perp. to direction of current and field, apply Flemmings left hand rule (2)
4) proof of number of electrons, normal (1)
5) B= 0.16T ; could have worked out with BIl or BQv (2)

Question 3: SHM (14 marks)
1) elastic and gravitational potentials (1)
2) This was bit tricky, depends on where you said GPE= 0, but general concept is or normal SHM, maybe mention air resistance and friction which could cause energy loss too (2)
3) time period= 0.8s, general explanation about number of maximums or number of times total potential= 0 (2)
4) draw -cos graph, should have had 1.5 waves (2)
5) k=21.6 N/m (3)
6) prove its 43mm i think i got :biggrin: (4)

Question 4: Capacitors (12 marks)
1) C= 61.3 x 10^-6(3)
2) R= 8.4 x 10^5 (3)
3) 6 marker: Could talk about, flow of electrons from B to A, rate of flow decreases with time, V of capacitor increase with time, V or resistor decreases with time, when fully charged, V on capacitor= same as pd supply and that on R is 0. Electric energy--> KE to move electrons--> chemical in storage in capacitor. When switched moved, voltage, current and charge over capacitor drops...and more but too much typing

You fag
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2667354&page=73&p=48110969#post48110969
Original post by vanitak
there was this qn in mcq: at a certain voltage, energy= 1600 microjoules and V-2=400 microjoules. I think the answer was 200 microfarads. Does anyone remember what question number this was? Really freaked out cause I think my shading got mixed up. Thanks!

Original post by Gillerz
It said what is the distance for force F, i got 14mm

Original post by Fatini999
That was 20mm for 0.5F. Need to work it out for F.

Couldn't do it so guessed it

It was 200 microfarads yes

That distance one was 14mm because F follows an inverse square law so to decrease F by a half we need to increase distance by root 2 and 20 divided by root 2 is 14.1421... therefore 14mm 2sf
The force on the electrons is definetly out of the page. They specifically asked for force on electrons not wire so second finger must be in opposite direction to current
Original post by Gillerz
chuffing hell mate, that's what i put too!!!

Loving it, exactly what I put
Original post by lebron_23
Ha! I wish it had gone badly. This was way worse than bad.

They said stop writing and I had 12 multiple choice left hahah
Original post by K_o_46
The force on the electrons is definetly out of the page. They specifically asked for force on electrons not wire so second finger must be in opposite direction to current

Still downwards ... ... The wire only moves downwards due to a downwards force on the electrons ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Namch

He posted his first draft on page 66. Please have some respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Goods

Posted from TSR Mobile

He found out his version was ****, so copied that guys...
Reply 1592
Original post by Goods

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao
Reply 1593
Original post by Math12345

Trust me

Who cares really. I can't be bothered to sift through 15 pages for a mark scheme. reposting it every 3 pages is nice.
Original post by Goods
Still downwards ... ... The wire only moves downwards due to a downwards force on the electrons ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Downward.
Use the direction of the current in your left hand and it shows downward. The electrons are forced downward.

If you looked at each electron, they'd move in the opposite direction to current So you'd use the direction for the current. Which they give you. And using that = downward force.

Also, it's just logic- if all the electrons moving in the field feel a force upward but the current causes the wire to move downward then you're thinking about it wrong!
Original post by C7jnr
i knew the formula for orbital period, but i didnt get the right answer for some reason so what i did is turn 8 hours to seconds, then i put my formula= what 8 hours in seconds is, do you think i could have conned the examiner

You might have got the force wrong in the previous question? so ECF, and you'll get method marks for the formula. so no I don't think you'll have 'conned' them, rather demonstrated you understood the principles and what do to, just didn't get the right answer. so like 4/5 marks maybe? :smile:

But its clearly not a copy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Namch

hahaha well, if you check page 67 youll see that mine was first. so erm, im expecting an apology for that :tongue:

hehe dw, seems like we got the same stuff soo not complaining :biggrin:
Reply 1599
hahaha well, if you check page 67 youll see that mine was first. so erm, im expecting an apology for that :tongue:

hehe dw, seems like we got the same stuff soo not complaining :biggrin:

120 ums each so standard :P

Latest

Trending

Trending