The Student Room Group

Revision Advice

Hello everyone! I am currently sitting my N5 exams, 2 down 4 to go, and I am looking for your advice on the best way to revise. My current strategy is to work through the course and summarizing my notes as I go. I then dedicate the last 5 days before the exam to do past papers.

I have used this approach to revise for my Mod Studs and English exams but I'm starting to feel this isn't the best way to go about it. What do you think? Should I be doing it a different way? Is there any improvements I could make to my current approach? Your response would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

P.S If anyone has tips for how to write faster they would be greatly appreciated too!
Original post by WilliamWallace1
Hello everyone! I am currently sitting my N5 exams, 2 down 4 to go, and I am looking for your advice on the best way to revise. My current strategy is to work through the course and summarizing my notes as I go. I then dedicate the last 5 days before the exam to do past papers.

I have used this approach to revise for my Mod Studs and English exams but I'm starting to feel this isn't the best way to go about it. What do you think? Should I be doing it a different way? Is there any improvements I could make to my current approach? Your response would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

P.S If anyone has tips for how to write faster they would be greatly appreciated too!

There isn't really a best way to revise. All depends on the person, how they learn and even the subject.

Eg for my Highers, I mainly just did past papers for maths and sciences because there wasn't much to know and more to work out.

For geography and economics (and a lesser extent biology) I wrote out summary notes and then learnt them. I started with past papers about a week before exams. So if summary notes work for you then I'd go for that. But I would also try and introduce questions earlier - not necessarily past papers, but questions your teacher has given you or make your own. I think I've heard that mods tends to be quite predictable so you should be able to make your own questions.

And as I said different people learn in different ways. It might be worth making flash cards and mind maps, as a lot of people find this helpful (I prefer boring bullet points :tongue: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alas, I have tried to work out this problem for the past two years and as I approach my final set of exams I will try to find that out!
However, over the years (especially writing notes quickly in class) practice seems to have helped a bit.
Good luck in the rest of your exams! :grin:
Reply 3
As stated, everyone learns in a different way - the trick is to find what works for you.

The least boring way to revise for me is doing past papers, and it's great because it is, obviously, entirely relevant to what you'll be doing. However it's not the best way to refine areas of your knowledge that are lacking (generically; not specific exam questions).

For this I tend to read over my notes in class a piece at a time and put this to memory. Writing down notes is extremely useful - engaging in a variety of 'activities' will make you memorise easier, e.g. writing/reading out loud as opposed to reading only.

Making notes from scratch, in an easily comprehensible style that suits you, is also very effective (for me at least). I sometimes use class notes to create neat, organised notes on Word. I rarely do this because it's very time-consuming, but there have been occasions where the untidiness of my class notes has compelled me to produce something better. Also: the irony is that I never need to use the notes again; making them puts everything into my head.

Some people like computerised notes, some prefer paper. Colour seems to be useful too. Especially for girls.

Hi as previously said it depends on the person... I'm doing my nat 5 as well so I feel your pain with the work load to memorise :/ ! But what I find the easiest is to do what Ecasx said. I write notes and make like a "book" for each subject with the key things I need to know! I know it takes time and that, but it also improves your hand writing and how fast you write. Also listen to your favourite playlist just before you start to revise - apparently that relaxes your mind, I do that all time but not sure if it "relaxes" my mind hahaha. Remember to always takes breaks because you cant over study. Give yourself like an hour or half and hour break for every 3 hours you revised. But yeah that's what I do for revision might not work for you, but you can give it a go ! GOOD LUCK in your exams everyone ! Mines maths :frown: just fantastic....
Well, I'm studying for my highers right now, and I find that flashcards, writing out notes and doing past paper questions are helpful. But that's just me. Honestly, I would suggest that you just try out different revision techniques and see which one works best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending