The Student Room Group

GCSE Exam Advice!!!

Hi All,

I am planning to start revising now end of Feb and just wanted some advice whether this is too late to properly start revising. I have posted my mock grades underneath and would love some advice on how to improve. My aim is to get all grade nines in my actual GCSES and would love any advice on a plan from now to May.

Maths 9 (but I barely scraped it I would definitely appreciate some advice and resources for practice

English Literature- 9
English Language-9

Both of my English mocks weren’t full exams and our teacher for poetry power and conflict was awful so would love some more advice for revising this. I am doing Animal Farm, macbeth, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Biology- 9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
PE-9
R.S-8
Geography-8
German- 7 ( this is my weakest subject so would be especially grateful for more advice on this).

Is it too late for me to start revising and get all 9’s? Any advice for revising and resources would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aquasauce
Hi All,

I am planning to start revising now end of Feb and just wanted some advice whether this is too late to properly start revising. I have posted my mock grades underneath and would love some advice on how to improve. My aim is to get all grade nines in my actual GCSES and would love any advice on a plan from now to May.

Maths 9 (but I barely scraped it I would definitely appreciate some advice and resources for practice

English Literature- 9
English Language-9

Both of my English mocks weren’t full exams and our teacher for poetry power and conflict was awful so would love some more advice for revising this. I am doing Animal Farm, macbeth, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Biology- 9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
PE-9
R.S-8
Geography-8
German- 7 ( this is my weakest subject so would be especially grateful for more advice on this).

Is it too late for me to start revising and get all 9’s? Any advice for revising and resources would be greatly appreciated!

No, you should definitely be fine if you review constantly in small amounts from now. Make sure to space out revision and stay consistent. Revise old content and make sure you know the basics really well - we tend to skip this because we assume that we already know it when really, any sort of gaps in basic content can cost you grades.

I did my GCSEs last year (I had reduced content because of Covid) and revising it was straight forward. I started revision very late and still got amazing grades (9s and 8s). You will most probably get the grades you want as you’re starting revision way before than I did🤣🤣 Good luck!
Hi All,

English Literature- 9
English Language-9

Biology- 9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
PE-9
R.S-8
Geography-8

I'm also in this situation although not as high grades (mostly 7s and a few 9s) and I am only revising for mocks and plan to start directly after so around maybe next Tuesday as my last mock is on Monday but I also need advice.
What subjects and exam boards do you guys do? Maybe i can help with revision sources that worked for me
Original post by Hawraa.A
I'm also in this situation although not as high grades (mostly 7s and a few 9s) and I am only revising for mocks and plan to start directly after so around maybe next Tuesday as my last mock is on Monday but I also need advice.
Hi All,

English Literature- 9
English Language-9

Biology- 9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
PE-9
R.S-8
Geography-8

main recommendation would be do practice questions little and often!!

im in y11 too and your grades honestly seem amazing to me and was wondering how you revise, in particular: englihs lit + lan, bio, chem, phys, geo and rs.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by firefly27
No, you should definitely be fine if you review constantly in small amounts from now. Make sure to space out revision and stay consistent. Revise old content and make sure you know the basics really well - we tend to skip this because we assume that we already know it when really, any sort of gaps in basic content can cost you grades.

I did my GCSEs last year (I had reduced content because of Covid) and revising it was straight forward. I started revision very late and still got amazing grades (9s and 8s). You will most probably get the grades you want as you’re starting revision way before than I did🤣🤣 Good luck!

Oh my gosh! Your grades sound amazing! Congratulations ☺️☺️. Can I ask when you started revising and any top tips for approaching revision and planning it out?
Reply 6
Original post by million.
main recommendation would be do practice questions little and often!!

im in y11 too and your grades honestly seem amazing to me and was wondering how you revise, in particular: englihs lit + lan, bio, chem, phys, geo and rs.

Thanks for the advice! Honestly I didn’t really revise for my mocks but also I really do feel the teachers picked out quite easy subjects in our school which doesn’t help at all so I think those grades are a product of that!

Have you started revising yet and if so what have you done?
Reply 7
What subjects and exam boards do you guys do? Maybe i can help with revision sources that worked for me

Hi thanks for the help,

I am doing
AQA Maths
AQA German
AQA Geography
AQA English Lit/Lang
AQA R.S
OCR Gateway Chem/Bio/Physics
OCR Gateway PE

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Maths ~ Edexcel
English Lit ~ AQA
English Lang ~ AQA
Triple Science ~ AQA
R.E ~ AQA
French ~ Edexcel
History ~ Edexcel
Physical Education ~ OCR
Oh my gosh! Your grades sound amazing! Congratulations ☺️☺️. Can I ask when you started revising and any top tips for approaching revision and planning it out?

Thanks so much 🫠 I’d say I started revising like a month before exams, even left some revision until the day before/hours before the exam. Keep in mind that I did have reduced content because of Covid so I don’t think I would have been able to do that during normal exams.

my personal methods for revising were to just make sure I knew the content. I’d watch short videos on a topic, write down notes and reread them, right after I’d do short practice questions and test myself and correct them. I’d make a note of the things I got wrong/forgot and kept revising over those every few days. Flash cards didn’t work for me, I guess just rewriting short notes helped but it’s different for everyone. I like to condense the information into a couple of easy words to remember.

In terms of planning, there wasn’t really a plan, I just knew I wanted to get a decent amount of revision done every day/every other day

Hope this helps and lmk if you want my insta or anything for more help haha
Hi thanks for the help,

I am doing
AQA Maths
AQA German
AQA Geography
AQA English Lit/Lang
AQA R.S
OCR Gateway Chem/Bio/Physics
OCR Gateway PE

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

The only exam board we have in common is AQA Geography. For me I loved the geography papers because it’s mainly just content recall. Make sure you know the content really well and make mind maps of things. I could maybe try and find some of mine if you wanted!
Original post by Hawraa.A
Maths ~ Edexcel
English Lit ~ AQA
English Lang ~ AQA
Triple Science ~ AQA
R.E ~ AQA
French ~ Edexcel
History ~ Edexcel
Physical Education ~ OCR

I did the same maths and French exam board as you. Maths I guess just keep practicing, don’t let yourself forget the methods. I liked using the gcse maths tutor on YouTube. French, practice and get your teacher to mark your work, memorize set phrases etc. My most used phrase in my French exam was ‘c’est mieux de rien’ which means ‘it’s better than nothing’. I think I used it 3 times in all of the writing paper questions.

I also did AQA science but I did double science. Now that I’m doing alevels there’s not much difference between double and triple
Original post by sum.jmb
The only exam board we have in common is AQA Geography. For me I loved the geography papers because it’s mainly just content recall. Make sure you know the content really well and make mind maps of things. I could maybe try and find some of mine if you wanted!

Hey thanks so much for the reply! If it wouldn’t be too much of a problem it would be really helpful to have some of your mind maps!
Original post by sum.jmb
Thanks so much 🫠 I’d say I started revising like a month before exams, even left some revision until the day before/hours before the exam. Keep in mind that I did have reduced content because of Covid so I don’t think I would have been able to do that during normal exams.

my personal methods for revising were to just make sure I knew the content. I’d watch short videos on a topic, write down notes and reread them, right after I’d do short practice questions and test myself and correct them. I’d make a note of the things I got wrong/forgot and kept revising over those every few days. Flash cards didn’t work for me, I guess just rewriting short notes helped but it’s different for everyone. I like to condense the information into a couple of easy words to remember.

In terms of planning, there wasn’t really a plan, I just knew I wanted to get a decent amount of revision done every day/every other day

Hope this helps and lmk if you want my insta or anything for more help haha

Thank you! This is really helpful
Hi All,

English Literature- 9
English Language-9

Biology- 9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
PE-9
R.S-8
Geography-8

Hi,
I am also revising for Maths right now and I found bunch of past papers here: https://edumentors.co.uk/blog/gcse-maths-past-papers/.
Also I joined their discord server a while ago (they had airpods giveaway and I'm a sucker for free things lol) and last week we had a GCSE simulation. Tutors from there are going to check our papers and give us feedbacks. It was actually good for practice and as far as I know they plan on doing more simulations so you might try that as well. They have their discord server link at the bottom of the page from the link above.
I think I also came across the past papers of other subjects as well. Not sure about German but check out their website just in case.
P.S don't worry and don't stress yourself. You will do great!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi All,

English Literature- 9
English Language-9

Biology- 9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
PE-9
R.S-8
Geography-8

Heya!
Don't worry you should be fine as long as you continue to study hard :h: If it helps, Study Mind has tons of free resources that can help you out with your revision!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Hi All,

English Literature- 9
English Language-9

Biology- 9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
PE-9
R.S-8
Geography-8

Hey btw your mock grades are amazing! We also did the exact same books for English! I don’t think it’s late at all if anything it’s just about enough time and you could possibly get grade 9s if you genuinely sat and revised everyday. I started full revision about April May time and I genuinely believe if I started earlier I could’ve gotten higher but I managed to earn grade 7s and 6s even tho my mock grades were like grade 3s. It really depends how much time you will take out to revise everyday.

For maths what helped me the most was tons of past papers and then just making sure you understand the methods because most likely they always get repeated style of questions and also watching every possible maths topic and finding every possible question they could come up from that topic just so your extra prepared. Hope that is helps and goodluck!
Hi All,

English Literature- 9
English Language-9

Biology- 9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
PE-9
R.S-8
Geography-8

I hope it isn't to late to start revising as this is what i am counting on. I am only doing better than you in physics and far worse in other subjects you are doing, especially English. For physics just make sure you know how to use the equations because even though we will be given the formula sheet, it is good to know how to use them so less time is wasted on these questions. If you get the maths down in physics there isn't many marks that you need to get on the actual physics to get a 9.
Original post by Athena77
I hope it isn't to late to start revising as this is what i am counting on. I am only doing better than you in physics and far worse in other subjects you are doing, especially English. For physics just make sure you know how to use the equations because even though we will be given the formula sheet, it is good to know how to use them so less time is wasted on these questions. If you get the maths down in physics there isn't many marks that you need to get on the actual physics to get a 9.

HI thanks so much! the thing is the maths is what really trips me up in physics! How do you reccomend practicing? Also my mock grades were only like that because the grade boundaries were very low at my school so I would'nt worry much at all, i don't really trust those grades lol!
Original post by sum.jmb
Have you got insta or snap where I could send them to you? I don’t want everyone having them🫠

No i don't sorry! Can you Pm me them or send them by email?

Quick Reply

Latest