The Student Room Group

Advice for starting year 11

Hi there, I’m a year 10 student going into year 11 in September. Is there anyone here that can give me some advice for year 11? Thanks <3333
Hi! Unfortunately there probably isn’t much advice I can give you that you haven’t already heard, but I’ll go ahead anyway.

In the next few weeks do try and relax, but it would be helpful to go over and practice anything you struggled with in year ten mocks if you haven’t done that yet, this should give you a good mindset going into year 11!

Once you start year 11, the main thing is to revise early and consistently. You’ve got mocks at the end of the autumn term - they aren’t anything to worry about, but they are the perfect opportunity to solidify everything you know so far. Study little and often, keep up with classwork, and if you haven’t done so yet follow my best revision tip:

Make your own set of notes using the specification. Honestly, I only started doing this right before final exams and I wish I’d done so earlier. Even the best teacher misses some stuff out, and putting headings directly from the spec in your notes means how you revise mirrors how it will be assessed. Use the spec to find out what exactly you need to know, then bring together all your resources (textbooks, class notes and revision guides) to write out what you need to know. Do this and exam period will be so much easier, I promise!

Most importantly, figure out what works for you. There are so many study resources out there and everyone has different opinions, but the best revision is what gets facts into head and makes sure you go into your exam prepared for anything the examiners throw at you. You lucky thing have the time to try everything and figure that out!

Finally, look after yourself. You know the drill - sleep, drink, eat, move, all the stuff that your body needs so the brain can work well. Don’t overwork yourself - remember, little and often and you’ll be just fine. Everyone gets through year 11, even if it’s tough! Good luck, and let me tell you, it goes fast!

Side note: how much you revise early on also depends on the homework you get. In year 11 most of my teachers gave me very little structured homework, so if I didn’t self study the only work I did was in lesson times. Your teachers might set lots of revision tasks and practice questions as homework, in which case you don’t need to self study as much. Just be sensible, and again don’t overwork yourself!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, i’ve just sat my GCSE’s and i’m predicted mainly 8s and 9s so im probably qualified enough to help.

My biggest advice going into year 11 is to have fun, the year will be over way before you know it and you won’t see half those people ever again.

Exams wise, try to have your revision resources completed by like February at the latest, so that throughout exam season you can focus on actually revising topics rather than making those resources. Take your mocks seriously, as if you revise for those efficiently you’ll really lessen your workload in May as most of the content you’ll already know off by heart.

Year 11 definitely had its stressful moments, but I also made quite a few good memories. Your grades and school life aren’t that important compared to your own personal well-being so please try and relax throughout the year too.
Try not to stress right now, you're on holiday! Enjoy the break, Yr11 is not that bad it more about being organised!
-Primrose Kitten, Mr Bruff and Free GCSE Science Lessons on YouTube will save you during mocks
-Keep on top of homework - if you do a homework well enough it usually means when it gets to your exam you barely need to revise that topic
-Revise for mocks but don't stress too much, use it as an opportunity to learn how you learn so your revision is more effective for the real exams
-Start properly revising for exams during/after the Feb half term, doing little bits leading up to exams is less stressful for most people than cramming
Most importantly though, try and stay calm! GCSE's are important and you need to try your hardest but that doesn't mean working 24/7
Thanks for all your advice!!! I’m aiming for 8s and 9s in all my GCSEs so I am going to do a lot more study in Year 11, from the very start of the year. I mostly did pretty good in my Year 10 mocks, but I really want to do even better in Year 11!
Original post by sophie hart
Try not to stress right now, you're on holiday! Enjoy the break, Yr11 is not that bad it more about being organised!
-Primrose Kitten, Mr Bruff and Free GCSE Science Lessons on YouTube will save you during mocks
-Keep on top of homework - if you do a homework well enough it usually means when it gets to your exam you barely need to revise that topic
-Revise for mocks but don't stress too much, use it as an opportunity to learn how you learn so your revision is more effective for the real exams
-Start properly revising for exams during/after the Feb half term, doing little bits leading up to exams is less stressful for most people than cramming
Most importantly though, try and stay calm! GCSE's are important and you need to try your hardest but that doesn't mean working 24/7

Thanks so much!!! All the websites you recommended I have already started using for revision in Year 10, for my year 10 mocks and I mostly did pretty good in my mocks, and I really appreciate your advice!! Thanks <333333
Original post by christian2351
Hi there, I’m a year 10 student going into year 11 in September. Is there anyone here that can give me some advice for year 11? Thanks <3333

Heya! Make sure to stay on top of your revision - don't leave it until the last minute! Make sure to organise your time and schedule out your week. Also, make sure to utilise free online resources! There's tons of help available online so make sure to use it well! To get you started, Study Mind offers tons of free resources to help you with your revision!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
From a less academic standpoint: try to have as much fun as you can! Year 11 was one of the best years in secondary school for me.
You might be anticipating constant stress and anxiety but don't put yourself through it twice remind yourself of the support of those around you and the goal you're aiming for!

I hope you have a great Year 11 and make some great memories along the way. :smile:
Hi! I've just finished year 11 so hopefully my advice is relevant.
First things first if you're planning on using flashcards, mindmaps etc for revision you need to make these as soon as possible so you can start actually revising from them as early as possible.

Some may disagree with this next point but I say start revising from the start of the year/October half term. Don't do anything crazy like 6 hours a day, 7 days a week but instead do an hour a night, 3-4 days a week. This helped me so much because then when it came to mocks/the real exams it was a lot easier for me to increase my revision hours and also meant that I didn't have to do as much as some others may have had to because I'd been revising all along and therefore felt more confident in my understanding.

If you get to mocks etc and you can't find motivation to revise, try those live study sessions on youtube as I personally found those really helpful and stopped me from using other apps on my phone.

Finally, year 11 goes by SO QUICKLY honestly so try to make the most of it despite how stressful it can be, and remember that your mental health is really important and more important than grades- don't push yourself too far
My best advice is probably that burnout is real and hard. Don't overwork yourself to the point of collapse.

In terms of revision, don't just recreate notes. Go through your old yr 9/10 work and use everything thats useful. My biggest waste of time was making new notes and then realising I already had them from previous years.
Practice papers will save your life! Don't underestimate how useful they'll be - learning mark schemes are the best way to ace exams, especially for things like biology.

Also, not to scare you but this could be a hard time for friendships - especially close to exams. Everyone gets stressed and people clash over the smallest things, its hard but remember that its most likely not your fault. If a friend is distracting or isn't supportive, don't study with them. Sometimes school work and friendships won't mix and thats alright.

With your free time, work out something that completely removes you from your learning. Personally, I got a Saturday job, it allowed me to get out of the studying frame of mind and a chance to try something different. Work and stress can easily build up in yr 11, especially if you have other things going on. Take the breaks you deserve and try not to let things get overwhelming.

I promise yr 11 isn't all doom and gloom and you'll make some great memories. Just don't forget to keep everything in a balance. Hope that helps :smile:
Hello.
I remember feeling somewhat stressed this time last year, so firstly, do not worry if you feel the same :smile:. It all works out eventually.
Here's my advice:
1. Organisation. Make sure you have a clear, structured system of organisation of your files.
2. Time management. Manage your study time around extracurricular activities/relaxation.
3. Planning. I didn't do this enough come Y11 May/June and it was really hard to revise. Maybe make a comprehensive (but realistic) timetable and keep track of what you're doing.
4. Notes/flashcards/mindmaps (whatever works for you). Have them ready in advance. Set aside time every week to do this as it will save valuable revision time.
5. Revise for smaller internal tests. It helps to consolidate your knowledge throughout the year so there's less to learn at the end.
6. Similarly, revise for the mocks.
7. Do not overdo it as this will lead to burnout. Pace yourself.
8. Identify areas of weakness and sort these out asap e.g.: attend subject surgeries, ask teachers etc.
9. ALWAYS refer to the specification. It's a really clear, concise way of making notes.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by tinydance.r
Hi, i’ve just sat my GCSE’s and i’m predicted mainly 8s and 9s so im probably qualified enough to help.

My biggest advice going into year 11 is to have fun, the year will be over way before you know it and you won’t see half those people ever again.

Exams wise, try to have your revision resources completed by like February at the latest, so that throughout exam season you can focus on actually revising topics rather than making those resources. Take your mocks seriously, as if you revise for those efficiently you’ll really lessen your workload in May as most of the content you’ll already know off by heart.

Year 11 definitely had its stressful moments, but I also made quite a few good memories. Your grades and school life aren’t that important compared to your own personal well-being so please try and relax throughout the year too.

What revision resources did you use?

Hi! I have a few tips:

1. Look after yourself. Get enough sleep! SO many people don't do this and spend the whole night revising but this is not effective and you won't learn anything the next day. The NHS says to aim for 8 - 10 hours.

2. Study consistently. Little but often! Just do an hour or two every school night and then more at the weekend. The main thing is to make revising a habit so that when it comes to your GCSEs, you won't have to force yourself to revise as you'll already be doing it. Make sure you take regular breaks and don't let studying interfere with your social life etc.

3. Find out what works for you. Highlighting notes and passively reading texts DO NOT WORK. You must use active recall - such as blurting, flashcards, re-writing from memory and so on.

4. Have fun! I know that Year 11 is stressful, but it doesn't have to be ! Make sure to go out with friends and enjoy yourself.

5. Eat well and exercise :smile:
Year 11 feels ages ago now for me as a 19

I got through y11 because i didnt have any friends or anything so every spare moment I had I revised.

If you do have friends (which most people do), youll all hopefully be in the same boat, so put stuff off until exams.

Don't stress too much about your mocks but at the same time treat them as if they are your actual exams

Revise whenever you can.
Reply 14

my computig teacher did not teach me one thing so I was left all alone in year 11, what I did was I bought a computing revision note passport with all the info and learnt that- i learned everything from it and it was so helpful- I got an A* (grade 9) in that subject- does anyone want the link to it?
Reply 15
Original post by Atonomy
my computig teacher did not teach me one thing so I was left all alone in year 11, what I did was I bought a computing revision note passport with all the info and learnt that- i learned everything from it and it was so helpful- I got an A* (grade 9) in that subject- does anyone want the link to it?

'Yes please, I've had the exact same experience with my computer science teacher in Year 10. Going in to Year 11 now and this could save me.'
Reply 16
Original post by Atonomy

Yes please, I've had the exact same experience with my computer science teacher in Year 10. Going in to Year 11 now and this could save me.

Quick Reply

Latest