The Student Room Group

What's the difference between halls and private halls anyone ?

Reply 1
Not a lot in my experience, halls are inherently quite naturally communal and social places. You might find non uni students in your private halls but it's unlikely, that's about it.
Reply 2
So basically their practically the same. But are they the same for the social side of uni as well ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jordanking
So basically their practically the same. But are they the same for the social side of uni as well ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends. Uni halls tend to have criteria as to who can apply or who gets priority i.e. only those going into first year or only those living a certain distance away and only those studying at the uni which owns them where as anyone in any year & uni can apply to live in private halls (unless they are reserved by a specific uni). I've no personal experience of private halls but I've heard they can sometimes be quiet due to generally being full of 2nd years + and international students who want to get there heads down and work. If your trying to decide I'd go for uni owned unless the uni has hired out the whole hall as that's the best way to meet other freshers from your uni.
Reply 4
Thanks for you help I think I can only go for private halls as I live 5 miles away from the uni its self, is thief still a chance of normals halls ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Private halls are often quite an expensive option and usually the contracts are quite strict. Even if you drop out, you will usually have to pay rent for the whole contract, whereas in university halls they will usually let you out of the contract early.

If you only live 5 miles away from the uni, why are you so keen to move into halls? Finding a house share with other students, or staying at home for first year are likely to be better options than private halls.
Reply 6
Thanks for the help, I want to gain more independence and gain the social side of uni if you get what I mean .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending