The Student Room Group

I just don't understand ESKERS!

Please can someone help me for my As geography exam, I just don't understand eskers at all, I have asked my teacher who didn't help me very much at all and I have looked on the internet. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. Many thanks in advance!!!
Reply 1
Original post by E.Thomas
Please can someone help me for my As geography exam, I just don't understand eskers at all, I have asked my teacher who didn't help me very much at all and I have looked on the internet. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. Many thanks in advance!!!

Coolgeography.com is good for cold environments.

But anyway.

As you know they are a landform of fluvialglacial (meltwater).

Basically melt water is high due to seasonal variations i.e. summer melting. This causes the meltwater which is carrying a lot of sediment (mainly smaller due to attrition). The melt water goes into tunnels. The water is so fast it can go up small gradients due to hydrostatic pressure. When the winter months come the sediment is dropped due to a decrease in velocity. Then the glacier overtime retreats leaving either a small or very large sinous ridge called an esker. It is sinuous because the tunnels are bendy like meanders.:biggrin:
Reply 2
Thanks so much for your help, my teacher made it so much more complicated than what you did. It makes sense to me now so thanks very much. :biggrin:
If there is anyway I can return the favour with advice or tips let me know and I will try my best to help.
Good luck for your exam/s!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending