The Student Room Group

A level vs GCSE information/questions :)

Hey, I'm in year 11, doing my GCSEs now. Next year, I'm doing AS Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and French. I have a few questions to people doing A levels, which I would really appreciate if you answered! Thanks!
1) How hard are A levels compared to GCSE?
2) Which do you prefer: GCSE or A level?
Hey! I'm doing Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics, so I can give you my opinion on these!

1) Lots of people in my year are failing pretty hard, even now, right before exams. These were people who excelled at GCSE. For them: A-Levels are tough. However, me and a couple of friends have been working consistently from the start of the year, and are generally hitting close to full marks in each subject. It's purely down to work ethic - none of us are really 'naturally intelligent'. To summarise this, if you put the effort in, it's easy. If you don't, it isn't.

Just a side note: for Maths if you're anything like me, and pretty much everyone else, at the start of the year it'll be a real struggle. You essentially just have to work through this for the first 2 months or so and it'll start to make perfect sense. Unless you're super natural maths genius/Asian.

2) I prefer A-Levels. Despite the hugely increased work load, which is consistent throughout the year. A-Levels are just more challenging - and you don't have to do those subjects that you must utterly despise (English). :P

Quick Reply

Latest