The Student Room Group

Manchester University vs Lancaster University, need help with insurance choice

I have decided already that my firm choice is the study abroad course in the Biological Sciences at Lancaster University, my offer is (AAA/AAB).

I can't decide on my insurance though. I can choose between a study abroad course in Environmental Biology at Lancaster (AAB/ABB) or Biology at Manchester University (AAA). I find the Lancaster course quite appealing, I like the atmosphere, I like that it seems to be quiet and small, and I love the fact that it has the study abroad option, they also seem more lenient with who they let in so there's less chance of me being rejected.

Manchester however, has a really good reputation, and it's easier for me to travel. Manchester also has higher requirements so as my insurance, not sure if that's a good idea. Also, it is a biology course after all so it probably has better career prospects than Environmental Biology (just an assumption). Can you even firm AND insurance at the same university? I just can't seem to decide between these two universities.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I had a firm (AAB) and an insurance (BBB) for the same university MChem/industry and straight MChem insurance. I was tempted to insure an offer for MChem/industry elsewhere but I decided in the end I really did like Sheffield. The second offer was actually lower than their standard (and really safe, even if my exams went horrible) so I just couldn't resist, in honesty :tongue:

I don't think putting Manchester as your insurance looks like a great idea on grades - it's all going to depend on what everybody else gets, how many offers they've made etc. I'd be surprised if Lancaster couldn't accommodate you and Manchester could, they're likely to be similar.

Do you know if there's any scope to change from environ. to the original course, when you're there? What do you want to do with biological sciences? I mean, in the environmental side of things then I can't see how there's going to be much in it with respect to employability. Obviously - if you're thinking of something broader or other then I can see biology being better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending