The Student Room Group

what uni to firm for mech eng?

Ive applied for mechanical engineering next year and am interested to going to these universities:
University of Manchester - A*A*A
University of southampton- A*AA
University of birmginham-AAB

Im predicted A*A*A* so i should be alright with applying and am hopeful to get those grades or atleast A*A*A.

Ive visited southampton and thought it was alright but wasnt a massive fan but could defintely live there and its course is good and as i would like to go into F1 they proivde a masters in race car aerodynamics which would be great. However i was wondering if anyone could give insight on which out of the three would be best to go to interms of completeing a beng in mehcnical engineering as i can always go to southampton after
completing Beng or Meng elsewhere.

Im also wondering if anyone knows what its like to live at these places as i could be spending the best part of 3-5 years at them depending on the course.
Reply 1
Consider the following:
- Which university will allow you to pop home in those moments of "I just need to see Mum and Dad"?
- Which university offers additional extras such as leadership and study skills?
- Which university has good pastoral support that you can access to help you with life's decisions?
- Which university is located in a town you would enjoy living?
Original post by hotpud
Consider the following:
- Which university will allow you to pop home in those moments of "I just need to see Mum and Dad"?
- Which university offers additional extras such as leadership and study skills?
- Which university has good pastoral support that you can access to help you with life's decisions?
- Which university is located in a town you would enjoy living?

this is what im trying to gauge from poeple experinces and views and knowlede of what the courses are like and what its like to live in these places. I mean the first question would be soton or brum as im south west. they all provide formula student with southampton being the best however that does not really matter as its the experience which is valuable. I think id like living in manchester but thats relaly the point of this post for people to put there honest reviews of the course and town to hepl me make my choice as im strugling abit.
Reply 3
Original post by charlie.R.12
this is what im trying to gauge from poeple experinces and views and knowlede of what the courses are like and what its like to live in these places. I mean the first question would be soton or brum as im south west. they all provide formula student with southampton being the best however that does not really matter as its the experience which is valuable. I think id like living in manchester but thats relaly the point of this post for people to put there honest reviews of the course and town to hepl me make my choice as im strugling abit.

But you won't get anything meaningful in that respect because there is no person on this planet who has attended all three universities doing the same courses you are applying for and as such will be able to give you meaningful feedback I am afraid. Things to consider:-

- Did you like the lecturers / course staff you met during open days / interviews?
- Did you get a good feel for the place?
- Does the university have clubs / societies / offer extras that would appeal to you?

It is a long time ago, but when I went to the Aston University open day, I just knew it was the right place for me. I loved the city centre location, the staff, the students, the campus - pretty much everything. It just had the right feel. I can't really say why.

My wife recently applied to MMU for nursing having rejected Manchester University. She really liked the staff and found the stuffiness of the fact Manchester dines out on its Red Brick status a bit superficial. She made the right choice for her.
Ive applied for mechanical engineering next year and am interested to going to these universities:
University of Manchester - A*A*A
University of southampton- A*AA
University of birmginham-AAB

Im predicted A*A*A* so i should be alright with applying and am hopeful to get those grades or atleast A*A*A.

Ive visited southampton and thought it was alright but wasnt a massive fan but could defintely live there and its course is good and as i would like to go into F1 they proivde a masters in race car aerodynamics which would be great. However i was wondering if anyone could give insight on which out of the three would be best to go to interms of completeing a beng in mehcnical engineering as i can always go to southampton after
completing Beng or Meng elsewhere.

Im also wondering if anyone knows what its like to live at these places as i could be spending the best part of 3-5 years at them depending on the course.

Hi,

Lancaster University Mechanical Engineering student here! Though I haven't attended any of those universities I have sisters who went Manchester University and I, myself, was offered a place there. I can tell you this much. The reason I chose Lancaster University instead of Manchester was because of:

Distance: Lancaster is a commutable distance from my parents and since I can drive I made the decision that I would much rather save money and live with my parents than shell out on accommodation, food, utilities etc. I know this is something that might be a big factor for most people considering the current cost of living.
Expense: See above. But also Lancaster is considerably cheaper than other universities.
Campus Uni: Though I loved the concept of Manchester having so many options and so many great things to do constantly - I also realised just how much of a distraction that could become. And though I generally am not an easily distracted person, I also couldn't predict the people I would become friends with and the influence they would have on me, and ultimately I didn't want to risk it. Also there's something homely about campus universities - where everything is a cycling/walking distance and amenities aren't far. The people I've found are much more welcoming too.
Support: Lancaster Uni in my experience has offered me some of the best support I could have asked for. Most of my lecturers are almost always there for me academically and personally and their wellbeing services are great from my experience. Manchester I haven't heard many great things about their support where they expect students to be very independent - but again this could be based on only experience.
Academics/Job oppts: I knew I wanted a job in the North West close to home so I wanted to make sure the university I chose was nearby as generally university has contacts in the companies surrounding the university. So they can assist you with them more than say you lived in the North West but wanted to get a job in London. Also Lancaster's academic history has been amazing - so no complaints there.

These aren't all the reasons, but they're some. And hopefully you can take a similar approach with your university searching.

I hope this helps!

- Amaani (FST Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

Lancaster University Mechanical Engineering student here! Though I haven't attended any of those universities I have sisters who went Manchester University and I, myself, was offered a place there. I can tell you this much. The reason I chose Lancaster University instead of Manchester was because of:

Distance: Lancaster is a commutable distance from my parents and since I can drive I made the decision that I would much rather save money and live with my parents than shell out on accommodation, food, utilities etc. I know this is something that might be a big factor for most people considering the current cost of living.
Expense: See above. But also Lancaster is considerably cheaper than other universities.
Campus Uni: Though I loved the concept of Manchester having so many options and so many great things to do constantly - I also realised just how much of a distraction that could become. And though I generally am not an easily distracted person, I also couldn't predict the people I would become friends with and the influence they would have on me, and ultimately I didn't want to risk it. Also there's something homely about campus universities - where everything is a cycling/walking distance and amenities aren't far. The people I've found are much more welcoming too.
Support: Lancaster Uni in my experience has offered me some of the best support I could have asked for. Most of my lecturers are almost always there for me academically and personally and their wellbeing services are great from my experience. Manchester I haven't heard many great things about their support where they expect students to be very independent - but again this could be based on only experience.
Academics/Job oppts: I knew I wanted a job in the North West close to home so I wanted to make sure the university I chose was nearby as generally university has contacts in the companies surrounding the university. So they can assist you with them more than say you lived in the North West but wanted to get a job in London. Also Lancaster's academic history has been amazing - so no complaints there.

These aren't all the reasons, but they're some. And hopefully you can take a similar approach with your university searching.

I hope this helps!

- Amaani (FST Ambassador)

Im not too far from southampton and its one of the only unis aswell as bath that i have visited and quite like it. I thinks its more well respected for its aeronautical/mechanical engineering degrees then manhester so i reckon ill go there. Living prices im not sure about but ive saved up from working for two years so not a massive concern.

Its also a split campus so both of best worlds so after hearing what you said i think im going to firm there. Its also got strong ties wiht formula 1 and a strong formula student team i believe which is also very helpful and a pull factor. Thanks for the info on manchester i reckon ill firm southampton and insure birmingham.
Im not too far from southampton and its one of the only unis aswell as bath that i have visited and quite like it. I thinks its more well respected for its aeronautical/mechanical engineering degrees then manhester so i reckon ill go there. Living prices im not sure about but ive saved up from working for two years so not a massive concern.

Its also a split campus so both of best worlds so after hearing what you said i think im going to firm there. Its also got strong ties wiht formula 1 and a strong formula student team i believe which is also very helpful and a pull factor. Thanks for the info on manchester i reckon ill firm southampton and insure birmingham.

That sounds good! I wish you all the best! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest