The Student Room Group

AQA A2 French Unit 3 June 19th 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHumpadump
See that's the thing, I received good marks for all my practice essays and I never really gave a personal reaction with 'je pense que...' or 'cela me fait réfléchir à...' or whatever. This is making me worry now since my content, evaluation and evidence were pretty decent, just I've never heard about giving a direct personal response like that before.

I think it depends on the topic area, also- personal reaction can be implicit "I think that..." or less implicit, through your evaluation, because as you evaluate you're clearly reflecting on it personally??

I'm pretty sure past examiners' reports have spoken about how implicit they require it to be, but I can't remember exactly!
Original post by Anny Smiles
I think it depends on the topic area, also- personal reaction can be implicit "I think that..." or less implicit, through your evaluation, because as you evaluate you're clearly reflecting on it personally??

I'm pretty sure past examiners' reports have spoken about how implicit they require it to be, but I can't remember exactly!

Ah ok, it's just I'm stressing massively over this at the moment haha, ugh I came out of that feeling so good about it. Maybe my evaluation is decent enough to convey a 'personal response' then. Thank you for responding!

I think I'm going to go ask my teacher tomorrow just to be sure. Having ethics and french on the same day wasn't very fun.
Original post by TheBookOwl
Unofficial English to French

1. What is the best way of helping the poor in this country? = Qu'est-ce que c'est/Quel(le) est le meilleur moyen/la meilleure façon d'aider les pauvres dans ce pays?

2. Young people are especially vulnerable because of the high unemployment rate = Les jeunes sont surtout vulnérables à cause du taux de chômage élevé.

3. It is essential that they have CAN'T REMEMBER = Il est essentiel qu'ils aient... something

4. The government could help by creating more jobs = Le gouvernement pourrait aider en créant plus d'emplois.

5. We must listen to them and give them the hope they need = Nous devons les écouter et leur donner l'espoir dont ils ont besoin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would it not be cause du taux élevé de chômage'?

Oh, and do you reckon if I put espérance instead of espoir I'll get the mark?
Ah ok, it's just I'm stressing massively over this at the moment haha, ugh I came out of that feeling so good about it. Maybe my evaluation is decent enough to convey a 'personal response' then. Thank you for responding!

I think I'm going to go ask my teacher tomorrow just to be sure. Having ethics and french on the same day wasn't very fun.

Aaah! Same! OCR ethics? Were you isolated too??
Aaah! Same! OCR ethics? Were you isolated too??

Haha yeah, though the ethics questions were so nice it ended up being not too bad in the end. The special room they had for us was great though, far more comfortable than the sports hall or whatever.

Agh, I really need an A in this, it's what I want to do at uni haha.
Haha yeah, though the ethics questions were so nice it ended up being not too bad in the end. The special room they had for us was great though, far more comfortable than the sports hall or whatever.

Agh, I really need an A in this, it's what I want to do at uni haha.

I'm pretty sure I messed up util/sex but the free or determined one was nice :smile: And yeah, so much less stressful being in a smaller venue, that was nice!

I need an A or else I won't be going to my firm. I mean, my insurance is still a nice Uni, sooooo...? :L
I'm pretty sure I messed up util/sex but the free or determined one was nice :smile: And yeah, so much less stressful being in a smaller venue, that was nice!

I need an A or else I won't be going to my firm. I mean, my insurance is still a nice Uni, sooooo...? :L

Oh what's your firm and insurance? And yeah, conscience and determinsim were incredible questions! I can finally say I never had to do any applied ethics essay questions for AS or A2 so I'm happy about that.
Would it not be cause du taux élevé de chômage'?

Oh, and do you reckon if I put espérance instead of espoir I'll get the mark?

Isn't "taux de chômage" kind of a set phrase? In which case élevé would go afterwards. But grammatically what you put doesn't seem to be wrong anyway, they're probably both right.
And I put espérance as well, hoping they'll feel kind and give us the mark!
Original post by bananaminion
Isn't "taux de chômage" kind of a set phrase? In which case élevé would go afterwards. But grammatically what you put doesn't seem to be wrong anyway, they're probably both right.
And I put espérance as well, hoping they'll feel kind and give us the mark!

Eh, doesn't really matter anyway, and that's reassuring! I had a mental blank and forgot espoir for some reason haha. I mean it is a synonym of espoir so hopefully they'll count it.
Eh, doesn't really matter anyway, and that's reassuring! I had a mental blank and forgot espoir for some reason haha. I mean it is a synonym of espoir so hopefully they'll count it.

Haa yeah exactly, it's over now! I find that such a relief - I couldn't change anything if I tried.. yeah I think it's correctooo
Oh what's your firm and insurance? And yeah, conscience and determinsim were incredible questions! I can finally say I never had to do any applied ethics essay questions for AS or A2 so I'm happy about that.

Durham [A*AA] and Sheffield [ABB]... where are you aiming for?

Aaah no applied is where it's AT! Though I think I would've preferred them to talk about one aspect of sexual ethics specifically!
With personal reaction it always feels kinda fake but I do it anyway- e.g. in this exam for Sac de Billes I said that I could sympathise with Maurice because I also have a little brother close to me in age, so I could understand how difficult it would have been to take care of Joseph without patronising him. So incredibly cheesy, but c'est la vie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Durham [A*AA] and Sheffield [ABB]... where are you aiming for?

Aaah no applied is where it's AT! Though I think I would've preferred them to talk about one aspect of sexual ethics specifically!

Ah! That's where I'm hoping to go as well, AAA for french at Durham so this better have gone well! Would rather not go to Warwick...

Ugh I cannot Stand applied, I'm so glad it's over :u:
Ah! That's where I'm hoping to go as well, AAA for french at Durham so this better have gone well! Would rather not go to Warwick...

Ugh I cannot Stand applied, I'm so glad it's over :u:

Ah! That's cool! Which college? :smile: I'd combined honours in arts...

All my exams are done I am so thankful!
Ah! That's cool! Which college? :smile: I'd combined honours in arts...

All my exams are done I am so thankful!

St.Mary's (hopefully, if I get the grades ): ) you?

This essay business has really shaken my confidence...
St.Mary's (hopefully, if I get the grades ): ) you?

This essay business has really shaken my confidence...

Jo Butler <333 I fell in love so I'm going to be a bit [very] gutted if [when] I miss the grades :frown:

Mine was awful, I'm pretty sure I concluded all wrongly :frown:
Jo Butler <333 I fell in love so I'm going to be a bit [very] gutted if [when] I miss the grades :frown:

Mine was awful, I'm pretty sure I concluded all wrongly :frown:

I thought my essay was decent when I left the exam hall, it had all the right context and evaluation etc., it's just this 'personal response' criteria that has made me so worrisome. ): I was so happy earlier on today and now im panicking haha, the exam stress is meant to be over!

I hope you do get the grades! Durham is such a pleasant and wonderful university...
I thought my essay was decent when I left the exam hall, it had all the right context and evaluation etc., it's just this 'personal response' criteria that has made me so worrisome. ): I was so happy earlier on today and now im panicking haha, the exam stress is meant to be over!

I hope you do get the grades! Durham is such a pleasant and wonderful university...

The region questions really threw me. Then I panicked I'd answered it wrongly and in my panic then fudged up the coherency of the entire thing! So yeah, really annoyed with myself!

I'm pretty sure that you can get marks for it in your essay... I think they said so for regions like when there's been a question like "analyse the main advantages and disadvantages of living here, how much does geography contribute?" personal response comes more in the evaluating than the "I think"?
The region questions really threw me. Then I panicked I'd answered it wrongly and in my panic then fudged up the coherency of the entire thing! So yeah, really annoyed with myself!

I'm pretty sure that you can get marks for it in your essay... I think they said so for regions like when there's been a question like "analyse the main advantages and disadvantages of living here, how much does geography contribute?" personal response comes more in the evaluating than the "I think"?

Yeah I don't do regions, just un dramaturge francais ou un auteur francais, but in the essays I got marked back from my teachers I did pretty well so I assume my evaluation counted for that criteria, so hopefully it's still fine :/

I heard the regions questions weren't exactly pleasant, AQA can really dish out some bs occasionally. I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you think though!

Doing a region sounds so dull from what I've heard!
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I don't do regions, just un dramaturge francais ou un auteur francais, but in the essays I got marked back from my teachers I did pretty well so I assume my evaluation counted for that criteria, so hopefully it's still fine :/

I heard the regions questions weren't exactly pleasant, AQA can really dish out some bs occasionally. I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you think though!

Doing a region sounds so dull from what I've heard!

I've been doing fine in essays, but today's wasn't up to standard! I also did an author, but decided to do the region because I found the author dull, and hard to talk about!

The only thing is that the nasty questions weren't across the topics so the grade boundaries won't be affected:/

I found the region interesting, in a kind of reassuringly dull and simple way? Far easier and more objective than a book!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending