The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you can think on the spot, and write pretty fluently, then it is all OK.

Make up a few facts to back your arguments, from obsecure countries. A favourite one of mine is the Mexican Police chief state department officer.
Reply 2
Well for Critical thinking practice is pretty important so if you go to http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/docroot/qualifications/qualificationhome/showQualification.do?qual_oid=2072&site=OCR&oid=2072&server=PRODUKTION
you can try a paper, it has answers and it will help you get into the mindset of the paper, because it takes a while to get used to the kind of answer they want.

Louise
Reply 3
Thanks for your advice. :-)
Reply 4
Trust me there is a chance of doing well lol! I'm in Year 11 taking as critical thinking a year early, i tend to miss a lot of lessons,but recently took a mock exam from a past paper and scraped 60% a grade C without no revision or much attention as i'm busy doing GCSE'S,also we only have 1 hour a week through distance learning, and i don't hand in many assignments.

I'm not encouraging you to do this,or saying that you wil get higher or lower, but i'm clarifying that it's logical and quite straight forward if you know a bit of the stuff being taught! :cool:

The exam is multiple choice questions.so with luck u have generally 1/4 of a chance gettin any of it right.but then it gets harder!!lol :biggrin:
Reply 5
I do AS critical thinking, i haven't been for a while. i find it such a bore and waste of time. we spend the lesson watching videos, talking about the oscars, talking about posh and becks, it always seems like a bit of a 'anything' lesson and i think im gonna fail coz of it. what happens in other people lessons? x
Reply 6
princessb
I do AS critical thinking, i haven't been for a while. i find it such a bore and waste of time. we spend the lesson watching videos, talking about the oscars, talking about posh and becks, it always seems like a bit of a 'anything' lesson and i think im gonna fail coz of it. what happens in other people lessons? x

i once got serenaded in mine... don't think i went after that lesson. it's stupid and i got a C.

lou xxx
Reply 7
princessb

We worked from the AS CT book and did loads of practice questions

G
Reply 8
Stupid subject, we're being forced to do the AS in it. I got an A in the mock though so I don't have to go to lessons anymore, I just have to take the exam in June. I'm sure you'll do fine, it's not one of those subjects where you actually have to know anything
Reply 9
~Sam~
Stupid subject, we're being forced to do the AS in it. I got an A in the mock though so I don't have to go to lessons anymore, I just have to take the exam in June. I'm sure you'll do fine, it's not one of those subjects where you actually have to know anything

Hmm... that may be part of the problem as I tend to be better at things which involve memorising information and developing opinions on it before the exams...
Reply 10
StarBlueUK
Hmm... that may be part of the problem as I tend to be better at things which involve memorising information and developing opinions on it before the exams...

One teacher at my school said to someone who took the test....and i quote....

"This was a test of basic intelligence.....and you failed...."

:biggrin:

G
Reply 11
gzftan
One teacher at my school said to someone who took the test....and i quote....

"This was a test of basic intelligence.....and you failed...."

:biggrin:

G

That's really harsh! Your teacher should be sacked for saying something like that, as from what I've heard/read (and found from experience), critical thinking isn't easy!
Reply 12
StarBlueUK
That's really harsh! Your teacher should be sacked for saying something like that, as from what I've heard/read (and found from experience), critical thinking isn't easy!

Lol...he said it as a joke....it's not easy....that's right....but if you've done the practice questions....you shouldn't get a U! If you're interested in reading more about it....theres a book i've mentioned before...might wanna look it up....if you want just ask me..and i'll tell you.

G
Reply 13
gzftan
Lol...he said it as a joke....it's not easy....that's right....but if you've done the practice questions....you shouldn't get a U! If you're interested in reading more about it....theres a book i've mentioned before...might wanna look it up....if you want just ask me..and i'll tell you.

G

We've got the guy who thought up the damn subject and who writes and marks the exams coming into school sometime after easter to talk to us. whoop de doo. My teacher keeps going on about how lucky we are: "this is an amazing oportunity blah blah blah"
Reply 14
gzftan

G

I'm iinterested.
Reply 15
Critical thinking IS pretty pants in my experience, you don't have to practise at all.
Reply 16
fishpaste
Critical thinking IS pretty pants in my experience, you don't have to practise at all.

What grade did you get?
Reply 17
StarBlueUK
I'm iinterested.

The book is called:

Critical Thinking for Students by Roy van den Brink-Budgen

Mine was the 3rd edition...tells you everything you need to know for AS CT.

G
i tried doing it last yr, went to some of the lessons but it was r boring. I was predicted a D but didnt tke the exam because of a timetable clash. but in jan i did as gen studies, which we don't have lessons for and got an A. I think general studies is easier!good luck tho!

Latest