The Student Room Group

AS AQA English Literature A: Struggle for identity (16/05/14) - Wider Reading quotes?

Hello!

I figured this could help not only myself but others for tomorrow.. Would anyone be willing to share any key quotes they found in their wider reading?

Personally, I don't feel I have enough to cover the potential topics in the contextual section so it would be very much appreciated! :colondollar:

Thank you!
Reply 1
What wider reading texts have you covered?
Original post by abig4il
What wider reading texts have you covered?

In depth, as in, read properly: (I'm mostly find relevant quotes from books, reading the synopsis and context)

Prose:
Oranges are not the only fruit
I know why the caged bird sings

Poetry:
Auden:
Musée des beaux arts
If I could Tell you
Refugee Blues
Funeral Blues
O What is that sound

A lot by Simon Armitage (so I won't list those) as well as a lot in Jackie Kay's Life Mask collection

Drama:
The Hostage
Streetcar Named Desire
Top Girls

So.. not a lot really.. :s-smilie:
Caged bird -
"Being aware of here displacement if the rust on the razor that threatens her throat" ; accentuates the harshness of racism and sexism if even a young child can recognise it
"Heavy burden of blackness" - when she's going to the dentist, this burden is apparently worse than going with a tooth ache because of her racist dentist
"I'd rather stick my finger in a dogs mouth than a *******" - quote from the dentist
During the boxing match where if Lewis loses it will be 'the end of the world' - hyperbole:wink: exaggerating how for angelous community the fight is a big deal because if the white kid wins it just demonstrates white supremacy

And In the same chapter Lewis is winning and a guy in the shop 'cackles like a hen and falls silent' - dehumanises the black guy even in a positive situation and he falls silent because he is technically laughing at a white guy losing and all the racism and kkk has lead to him being scared of voicing his opinion
When she describes her skin colour she says it's an "unnecessary insult"

Refugee blues- quotes aren't 100% accurate for this
"I saw a door opened for a cat; but they wasn't German Jews'; displays how even animals have a higher status than the Jews, accentuating the anti-semitism of nazi germany
"I can see the fish swimming as if they are free; only ten feet away from me"; shows how close they are to those who have real freedom but will never truly have it themselves
"I imagine a building... With a thousand windows and a thousand doors; but none of them for us" - accentuates how they are rejected by society
(Many of the quotes in this just accentuate their displacement)

I always like to link repetition or anything about racism to MLK's I have a dream speech - obviously the repetition of 'I have a dream' as it displays the passion and determination of the black community

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending