The Student Room Group

how to revise for english lit a-level

hi! i'm a y13 student studying aqa a-level English lit and im really struggling to revise and im a bit lost about how to revise, does anyone have any recommendation?

I usually make flashcards with quotes and essay plans for characters/themes but I dont know if that's the most effective method of revision..

I've been stuck at around 17/25 since the beginning of year 12 and really want to move up to the next band and achieve an A in the final exams but I'm getting quite worried I won't

for context the texts I study are-
othello
great Gatsby
aqa love through the ages poetry
handmaid's tale
feminine gospels
a streetcar named desire

thanks in advance! <3
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by diyah.....
What kind of feedback do you get on your essays? Is it a consistent thing that you’re missing that’s limiting you from getting high marks?

hi! I think usually the general feedback is that my points aren't developed or high level enough so I think I need to do some wider reading, also I think my language analysis isn't as in depth as it needs to be- that's probably the part I struggle with most because I get hung up on trying to cram info and hit all the AOs that I don't focus enough on AO2
Reply 2
Original post by diyah.....
AO2 is one of the biggest AOs so if you began focusing more on that I’m sure your marks would go up. Try to avoid the kind of gcse style of analysis though where you might zoom in to single words. You will be awarded better if you talk about a writer’s style as a whole and what methods are typical of them. Structure also comes under AO2 so if you’re struggling to analyse language, that might be an easier way to hit ao2 more. You don’t need to go too in depth either, simply dropping in what perspectives or type of narration is being used can give marks.
If you don’t already, physics and maths tutor is a really good source for English! I think it should have all your texts on there except for feminine gospels.
yeah think I've been approaching it more in the gcse style with single word analysis, thanks for the tip I'll def check out PMT for resources! also do you have any advice on how to structure an essay? xx
(edited 1 month ago)
im year 11 considering lit and my school does the EXACT SAME texts as u.
i was wondering if u find them enjoyable? im reading gatsby and love it so far. also how many books outside of the set texts have u read so far? + could i also get ur lit grade at gcse?
thx a lot!
Original post by jadeiscool
hi! i'm a y13 student studying aqa a-level English lit and im really struggling to revise and im a bit lost about how to revise, does anyone have any recommendation?
I usually make flashcards with quotes and essay plans for characters/themes but I dont know if that's the most effective method of revision..
I've been stuck at around 17/25 since the beginning of year 12 and really want to move up to the next band and achieve an A in the final exams but I'm getting quite worried I won't
othello
great Gatsby
handmaid's tale
feminine gospels
a streetcar named desire
thanks in advance! <3
i do the same texts! for my revision i create essay plans, annotate extracts (helps to remember quotes in the context i could use them) and write the essays
othello
great Gatsby
handmaid's tale
feminine gospels
a streetcar named desire
thanks in advance! <3
Hi! I did English A level and got an A, and I would say the biggest things you can do to push you up into the next bracket are:

Develop your points. Can you do any further analysis before you move onto your next paragraph?

Level up your vocab! Instead of evil, can you put knavish? Can you find words that describe the characters that are advanced?

Ask your teacher which Assessment Objective you're missing! Do you need more historical context? Or perhaps more quotes? They will be able to direct you on improving your mark if you're willing to put in the work, you don't need to figure it out on your own.

Have a good day and I hope that helps!
Reply 6
I don't know if anyone has already suggested this, but read massively around the texts. Be familiar with, I would say, 5 other shakespearian texts, a couple, very familiar. Have enough extended reading that you have other novels to compare with each text you're studying.

Try and look for texts or plays of a similar genre or time period to be familiar with, not all of them need to be brilliant texts, but there is a line. I used a couple when I did handmaid's tale, one was Vox, which makes for a super easy thematic comparison.

For tragedy we were advised to read ancient Greek tragedies, so try and find some old and tropey texts to compare to as well.

I didn't do love through the ages, I did Eng Lit B, but I got an A* - still, some of my advice may not apply quite right.

Also, be familiar with context, be really familiar. Handmaid's tale is quite an easy one for that, as there is Margaret Atwood's intro where she talks about her inspirations, also AQA has guides if you need somewhere to start.

It's good to have a number of critical quotes on hand, as well, but it's also really useful to know where there coming from and have read a wider range of critical analysis anyway, because it helps your own analysis of the text.

I never did flashcards, but I found that one thing that helped make my arguments cohesive, was that I would explain them to someone else and run through all of the big points that could come up in questions and my thoughts on them - it's useful for this if the person you're explaining stuff to asks why a lot.
Reply 7
othello
great Gatsby
handmaid's tale
feminine gospels
a streetcar named desire
thanks in advance! <3

If you want to practice english literature and english language for A-levels AQA, you can use this tool: https://www.tilf.io

The way it works is simple: you add in the question, select the mark scheme and start typing your answer and it gives you feedback on what to improve and the grade based on the exam board you chose. Then you just keep improving the essay until you get the grade you want.
Reply 8
Original post by Lttale
I don't know if anyone has already suggested this, but read massively around the texts. Be familiar with, I would say, 5 other shakespearian texts, a couple, very familiar. Have enough extended reading that you have other novels to compare with each text you're studying.
Try and look for texts or plays of a similar genre or time period to be familiar with, not all of them need to be brilliant texts, but there is a line. I used a couple when I did handmaid's tale, one was Vox, which makes for a super easy thematic comparison.
For tragedy we were advised to read ancient Greek tragedies, so try and find some old and tropey texts to compare to as well.
I didn't do love through the ages, I did Eng Lit B, but I got an A* - still, some of my advice may not apply quite right.
Also, be familiar with context, be really familiar. Handmaid's tale is quite an easy one for that, as there is Margaret Atwood's intro where she talks about her inspirations, also AQA has guides if you need somewhere to start.
It's good to have a number of critical quotes on hand, as well, but it's also really useful to know where there coming from and have read a wider range of critical analysis anyway, because it helps your own analysis of the text.
I never did flashcards, but I found that one thing that helped make my arguments cohesive, was that I would explain them to someone else and run through all of the big points that could come up in questions and my thoughts on them - it's useful for this if the person you're explaining stuff to asks why a lot.

Omg I do English lit B can u help I am struggling
Reply 9
Original post by Nsdhfd
Omg I do English lit B can u help I am struggling

Hey, sure. Which papers specifically are you doing and is there anything in particular you're struggling with? Sorry for the late reply.
Reply 10
Original post by Lttale
Hey, sure. Which papers specifically are you doing and is there anything in particular you're struggling with? Sorry for the late reply.

Aspects of tragedy and political and protest
Reply 11
Original post by Nsdhfd
Aspects of tragedy and political and protest

Ah OK, awesome. Same as what I did.
So, for tragedy:

Read some Greek/Roman Tragedies. They have some really good, bare to the bones examples of quite a few common tropes, especially for Shakespeare. And there are good links to draw there. I'd recommend especially Women of Troy and Oedipus Rex.

Familiarise yourself with a couple of other Shakespeare plays, too. I don't know which one you're doing, so it may depend. Macbeth is a good comparison to Othello, in terms of the characterisation of women, you could also do a similar thing regarding Othello and King Lear comparing Desdemona and Cornelia. It does, as I said, depend on the specific play you're doing. But find a couple of plays with some common themes.

In terms of context, read around the eras the books/plays are both written and set in and try to see any biases in the written era. Common tropes also help here and the other ways they can be portrayed. See if there's any flower symbolism - if you do Keats, they'll be quite a bit. But this is also the case in Shakespeare. As somewhere to start, AQA has pdfs giving an intro to context and go from there. Also, are the texts the original source? If not, read the original source, too.

In terms of criticality, I'd say create mind maps of what critics have said on a variety of themes within each text. Also, you may want to find quotes from historical figures at the times that show why themes are shown the way they are - sometimes this helps, Shakespeare's plays were massively influenced by the opinions of the monarchs reigning at the time.

Familiarise yourself with 'tragic terminology', I guess. You want to be able to spot them and be able to discuss it, the typical stuff, but you can go more in detail. Hubris, Hammartia, Anagnorisis, Villain, tragic hero, turning of fortune, that kind of thing. It shows you understand the genre.

For Political and Social protest writing:

Create a mind map of notable points of protest. What is the author saying and why? Are the characters acting as the voice of author demonising industrialisation? Is anything in how the plot is unravelling belying the author's opinion on such a matter. Basically, what criticisms is the author making and how are they doing it. Are they criticising modern or institutional religion, censorship, the power of the masses or the power of authority? Maybe they are accentuating the powerlessness of certain groups, their voicelessness. These are all things of note to point out, because the author has often shown this for a reason.

For this paper a lot of context can come from, like tragedy, the era something is written in, but also, moreso in this case, the author. So focus moreso on the author's opinions and what their inspirations were in writing the text. Why they wrote it will often tell you what inspired them to do so, and what was happening wither historically or at the time that triggered it.

For criticality, it is much the same as for tragedy, however there is some unseen for this paper, so you'll want some more generic criticality points and info.

For others texts to compare, read around a bit. As I said, Vox is good for Handmaid's tale. I don't know what other texts you're doing. Lists of banned books, or previously banned stuff is a good place to start, or texts that are quite controversial. Anything really that is making a statement. You may also want to read something else by the same authors, that's useful, or a similar setting/theme.

I hope this helps, if there's anything more specific about the texts you do, I might be able to help more. I hope I haven't been too unspecific.

Also, it's a good idea to have a solid structure. Like Intro, for, against, conclusion. Bring up criticality again in the conclusion if you can. It was once suggested to me that you should start with the weaker of the two (when it's for and against). But your style may be different.
Reply 12
Here are a list of revision activites my teachers gave us !!

Flash cards - create flashcards for each of your Literature texts. Aim for cards which cover key characters and themes which include key quotations, relevant AO5 and AO3 that the theme or character relates to.

Knowledge Dumps - use a plain sheet of paper, in one colour, write down everything you can remember about the character or theme. In a second colour, use your books to fill in any information that you missed out.

Quick fire planning - past papers to plan out answers, thinking about the quotations, analysis and context that you would use and how you would structure your answer. Give yourself a time limit to test where your strengths and weaknesses are.

Practise your analysis but annotating extracts deciding on what you would talk about within a paragraph.

Watch revision videos on Youtube - Mr Bruff is really helpful!

Watch Massolit videos and make notes - you can use these for AO5 critical quotations too.

Listen to Revise English Lit podcasts from Seneca

Complete past papers using the AQA website

Ensure that you have AO5 for each of the texts

Revise subject terminology - make sure you can recognise specific techniques, especially poetic techniques. Don't forget to revise structure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending