The Student Room Group

Which do you think is more annoying? Cyclist or horse riders?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTownGirl
There's no such thing as 'road tax'. It's called 'car tax'.

It's actually called vehicle excise duty and is based on pollution emitted etc and since horses a) release methane and b) **** on the road, they should be charged the top band of it :h:
Original post by yo radical one
It's actually called vehicle excise duty and is based on pollution emitted etc and since horses a) release methane and b) **** on the road, they should be charged the top band of it :h:

Pedestrians and cyclists also release methane, would this mean they'd also have to pay it... and have to pay more after eating Indian food? :s-smilie:
Original post by yo radical one

Except that it's not really. Classic cars are often the most polluting and they're exempt from VED.

Maintenance of the roads comes out of council tax, and since that's something everybody feeds into, everyone gets use of them.
Original post by Flauta
:eek: Hope everyone was alright?

I assume so, I didn't stick around beyond leaving my number as it was all a bit much. Noones contacted me as of yet so I'm assuming nothing serious happened.
Horse riders are by far the worst.

(1) They think they own the road, and act like it. Usually middle aged, posh ****s.
(2) The animals crap all over the road. Health hazard as well as traffic hazard too.
(3) Horses are extremely unpredictable. You cannot honk your horn either to warn riders, due to this fact.
(4) Horse riders generally have poorer control over their animal than cyclists do over their bikes (duhh).
(5) the list goes on...

Once had a horse rider appear out of nowhere on an A road crossing and began to cross, the stupid woman just expected the driver of the car I was in to stop immediately, despite being only several meters away whilst travelling at around 30 mph. Never longed so badly before to smack some common sense into someone.

Horses should be banned off the road completely (except in police/tactical situations), its the 21st century, not the middle ages.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cyclists for sure. The reason for that is i encounter them pretty much on a daily basis in my area.

But really both are annoying.

Especially encountering either on a dual carridgeway.
Original post by Drewski
For no good reason.

If anything, cyclists should be 2 abreast as it encourages drivers to overtake them properly - like they would another car - rather than just try and squeeze by. The amount of times I've been clipped by wing mirrors by people who's depth perception is **** is beyond reason.

This is why they ride in the centre of the road on some occastions. It's because I don't want to be overtaken at that time or if you want to your going to have to do it properly. It's usualy coming up to junctions or rbouts etc when I want the lane to myself. It gives me greater road presence.

It is abused by a few though and shouden't be helf for long.
Reply 47
Let's put this "two abreast" notion into perspective!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOGp7xF7eZs

LOL

No cyclists were harmed during the making of this film.
Reply 48
Original post by Pegasus2
...why they ride in the centre of the road on some occasions... coming up to junctions or rbouts etc when I want the lane to myself. It gives me greater road presence.

This!

It's called the alpha position and should be used only when a situation presents particular risks. As some of the more vulnerable road users, cyclists are very aware of personal danger (barring a fair few loonies) so they take measures to minimise the risks at stress points. Its for the good of everyone at that point, because even a conscientious motorist can lose situational awareness at times, and no cyclist wants to die because of their own or someone else's inattention. It's just cranking down the danger level to one we can all live with.

I think if all motorists got on a bike once or twice to appreciate the cyclist's PoV the roads would be a better place quite quickly - because then they'd see some of the reasons cyclists need to preemptively protect themselves. Perhaps car-on-bike offences (hate stuff, although some genuine accidents too if the incompetence is bad enough) should be punished by 12 months cycling to work... that'd learn 'em!
Reply 49
Definitely cyclists.

Horseriders tend to be a lot more courteous when it comes to traffic and aware of their surroundings.
Reply 50
Original post by Henrikh
Definitely cyclists.

Horseriders tend to be a lot more courteous when it comes to traffic and aware of their surroundings.

My wife rides a horse, a motorbike, a bicycle, she flies light aircraft, she drives (oh, and walks too, anyone that thinks a pedestrian can't be a menace should spend an afternoon driving or cycling around Bath!). In her case she's mindful of the different requirements and dangers of each mode of travelling, as do I (I just don't ride horses because they can now and then decide something for themselves - which sometimes ends well but sometimes doesn't).

An idiot on the road (or in the air) is usually an idiot no matter what mode of travel they decide to use to demonstrate how stupid they are. It's their attitude and irrational sense of entitlement that's everybody else's problem, people get aerated when the perceive someone else infringing on their "rights" and lose perspective, going on to create a situation that is a problem for everybody. The road isn't the place for trying to "make a point" or "teach someone a lesson" but too often there's some a$$hole content to do just that. My concern is for the mentality of people that create forum threads on who is the worse menace on the roads (and conveniently omits all possible options in the poll to demonstrate their bias). Doing that is probably just one step prior to doing something stupid on the road.

The best attitude to take is to hope that Darwin chooses some large immovable object to remove the doofus from the gene pool, not to take the responsibility upon ourselves! Chill!
Original post by Joinedup
2. they [horses] don't poop on pavements where people have to walk very often, mostly it lands the tarmac where the cars can just squash it

My 1 inch wide bicycle tyres don't do that, lol
Reply 52
Original post by KrishanC93
My 1 inch wide bicycle tyres don't do that, lol

Treat it like an inverted pothole - don't aim for it! And come back later with a supermarket bag and a trowel - your roses will thank you for it. Unlike the stuff dogs leave behind, it is surprisingly um, wholesome, although being a rose probably helps.

When our horse moults in spring we even bring hunks of soft white fur back home and leave it in the garden where the birds building their nests can find it (and that can get pretty hilarious, think sparrows with RAF-style handlebar moustaches) - horses are pretty recyclable! But that's enough about food labeling and health scares...
Reply 53
Original post by RFa
Treat it like an inverted pothole - don't aim for it! And come back later with a supermarket bag and a trowel - your roses will thank you for it. Unlike the stuff dogs leave behind, it is surprisingly um, wholesome, although being a rose probably helps.

When our horse moults in spring we even bring hunks of soft white fur back home and leave it in the garden where the birds building their nests can find it (and that can get pretty hilarious, think sparrows with RAF-style handlebar moustaches) - horses are pretty recyclable! But that's enough about food labeling and health scares...

The frustration with horse mines here isn't the dodging the piles but how it then rains and produces a massive road wide puddle of diluted horse **** which you then get sprayed with when you cycle through it.

I'm firmly in favour of horse poo having to be cleared up.

Around my way cyclists seem very sensible so I would vote for horse riders who here seem to have bizarre expectations of how little noise it is possible to make with either my car or motorcycle (neither are quiet). I'm rather sick of the scornful looks I get as I try to sneak past.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
As a cyclist horses scare me.
As a horse, cyclists scare me.
Those damn horse riders, constantly getting in my way!
Original post by Rakas21
Car drivers.

As somebody who believes in the superiority of trains and likes the bicycle i believe that car drivers are the enemy.

this ^

there are some cyclists who behave like ********s but there's a hell of a lot more car drivers making dangerous and selfish manouvres, I've nearly been hit several times on my bike all because cars wouldn't wait like 2 seconds so they could move where they wanted safely

a car tried to overtake me on a roundabout while I was in the middle of the lane the other day, what is wrong with people...

Original post by The Jargen

Two can play at that game:

Reply 59
Horses on bikes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending