The Student Room Group

OCR Core Maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minecraft27
Same! I definitely got that!

You're all right, the answer that was posted on page 1 is wrong. The person mixed up x and y.

PS: Ignore my -1 reputation. I have NO IDEA how that happened...

Helping you out with a +1 haha

I can confirm it was 8x + y + 13 = 0
Reply 61
Coordinates of the transformed graphs, I got:
y = f(x) + 2 as (2,7)
y = f(2x) as (1,5)

Anyone get that?
What did everyone get for the question were you had to find the equation of line which goes through A and is perpendicular to AB, I got x +2y -19=0
I thought it was just k=-2 and k=-8 as it was finding a pair of coordinates?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peanut247
How did people confirm that the circle did not pass the x axis and also where you had to find the y coordinate of the intercept from the tangent lind?

The centre y coord + radius will give the coords of the highest point of circle which was 0. this proves it touched it but didnt cross.
Original post by rbh
Coordinates of the transformed graphs, I got:
y = f(x) + 2 as (2,7)
y = f(2x) as (1,5)

Anyone get that?

yeah :biggrin:
Original post by manchestermadnes
I thought it was just k=-2 and k=-8 as it was finding a pair of coordinates?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It asked for a range of values which means inequality.
I'm not sure if I did my cubic sketch correctly, it was a positive cubic right? So it was in quadrants 1, 3 and 4 due to it being effect by other terms and the gradient was +ve initially and negative at the end, I found x=-2 to be a maximum point as it's tangent to that point and is +be initially and intercepts y at -12 (I think) and it then it went through x=2/3
Original post by xx_Dan_xx
It asked for a range of values which means inequality.

It didn't ask for a range, it said a set of values. If the circle already has seet coordinates then you know exactly what k is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PeaceTreaty
I'm not sure if I did my cubic sketch correctly, it was a positive cubic right? So it was in quadrants 1, 3 and 4 due to it being effect by other terms and the gradient was +ve initially and negative at the end, I found x=-2 to be a maximum point as it's tangent to that point and is +be initially and intercepts y at -12 (I think) and it then it went through x=2/3

Yes it was a + cubic. You didnt need to find the maximum point. The question gave you the three roots whilst expanding gave you the y intercept. Type the equation into google to get the grapg to check whether it is right.

As for myself, I think all got full marks - any marks lost for not putting +- in some root equations so overall loss of 3 at most.
Reply 70
Original post by Jamsong
Does anybody remember the last question so that I can redo it now and check what answer I got ?

Find the equation of the tangent to the curve (2x-3)(x+2)2
It didn't ask for a range, it said a set of values. If the circle already has seet coordinates then you know exactly what k is

Posted from TSR Mobile

By "set of values" it means the range of values.
It wasn't asking for individual co-ordinates. It had to be an inequality written as -8<k<-2.
Reply 72
For finding the values of k, it was an inequality because it asked for where k was inside ​the circle, rather than on it.
For the last one I thought because it was a tangent the gradient would become 1/8 rather than -8 but obviously that's wrong having looked at other peoples answers. Anyone know how many follow through marks I'd be likely to get if I've done the rest right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You had to use the Point P and the Centre in Pythag when it was less than the radius^2. This introduces the inequalities giving you a ranges. K can be any coord between whatever the answers were. Because between those values the length was still inside the circle.

You were never given a length but only know it lies inside the circle which means the you had to add the inequality which was less than the radius squared.
Original post by xx_Dan_xx
Yes it was a + cubic. You didnt need to find the maximum point. The question gave you the three roots whilst expanding gave you the y intercept. Type the equation into google to get the grapg to check whether it is right.

As for myself, I think all got full marks - any marks lost for not putting +- in some root equations so overall loss of 3 at most.

I thought it was two roots, doesn't (x+n)^2 mean that there's a repeated root at x=-n?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(6,k) was 'inside' the circle, meaning it k could be anything between -2 and -8.
For showing how the circle does not lie above the x axis, I showed that because the radius is 5, it only touches the x axis and cannot go above with 2 calculations demonstrating this. Is that what you guys did too?
Anyone else get +-1/2 for the hidden quadratic?

5(x+1)^2 -3 for completing the square?

x+2y-19=0 for the perpendicular line (I don't remember exactly what I got. The plusses or minuses might be the other way round).
Original post by germankid101
For showing how the circle does not lie above the x axis, I showed that because the radius is 5, it only touches the x axis and cannot go above with 2 calculations demonstrating this. Is that what you guys did too?

yeah thats what I did

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending