The Student Room Group

Do You Need A Degree To Succeed Nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

yeah...dont let those celebs with no degrees fool you...thy r extremly rare cases.if you want a stable job and house secruity then u need a degree in this day and age.Benefits dont cut it...
Well I would say experience matters more than a degree. .. There are many instances where people had succeeded even without a secondary level education. .. It all depends on their inner mind.. leaders are born, not made.. have a group of positive people around you and success will definitely follow you...
It depends.

You get those people who don't go to uni because they doss around on benefits/don't work hard enough to get great A-levels and whatnot.

Then you get those people who go to uni because they feel they must, don't take it seriously and end up graduating with a low 2:1 at best and absolutely zero extracurriculars, who will probably do a Masters or take a gap yah to "buy time" and "gain life experience" and wind up asking Daddy's friends to sort them a nice job down the investment bank they run. If they are not middle class, all the PARDYING HARD will probably leave them in pretty much the same situation job wise they would have been had they left school directly, albeit with 3 years and a good chunk of money thrown down the drain to boot.

Then you get those people who make the most of the uni experience, study hard, and also balance it out with work experience/extracurriculars as well - whether they look for internships, grad schemes or whatever, they are basically what employers look for.

There are also those people who never go to uni or choose to leave before graduating, anyone from a famous actor or actress or musician to a businessperson like Alan Sugar or Branson (or even Zuckerberg/Gates, who dropped out) with a dream who are willing to work their ass off and I do mean work their ass off, their path is extremely risky but as you can tell it also has great reward.

TL:biggrin:R - no. It depends on you, a degree is not everything. Like everything else it's what you do with it that counts.
It depends on the career that you want. I know a lot of people who have hardly any qualifications at all, never mind a degree, and are on 6 figure salaries and are very successful. Sometimes it is true that it is who you know not what you know.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
You don't need a degree to do those things :s-smilie: My dad's a partner in an accountancy firm and never set foot in a uni.

I agree with you as a management student. And you don't have to have a degree to be successful.

In the business field, professional qualifications like CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Account) and CFA (Chartered Financial Account) are much more valuable than a management degree.

University degrees are more about networking, peer/teacher support, making friends and having fun.
I think a lot of biased opinions have been shared on this thread. As a non graduate and being someone who is unlikely to ever get a degree. I hope I can sustain an average job one day. I have a lot of GCSE level qualifications which may seem like a waste if time but I achieved a lot of it whilst working. May try something a little higher next time and fingers crossed
Reply 86
I think it really depends on what you want to go for. There are many jobs you can be a success at and make a good wage with without a degree or any form of higher education, but then their are other careers where without a degree your chances of getting into it and being successful are between slim to none. I personally want to be a game developer, some people teach themselves enough over the years that they're able to become successful at it without a degree, but those are quite rare, and most of those who are successful have a relevant degree. Whilst you can learn most of it at home, there are some things that are too advanced it seems to be taught anywhere but university's, and that's why I think a degree gives you an edge in this field, but like I said, it really depends on what job/career you are going for as to whether a degree has any relevance or use.
Reply 87
I graduated four years ago and a degree has not been at all helpful in attaining work in my field so unless you are going for a career that requires you to have a degree and is in demand then it would be good for this case.

SUCCESS itself depends on what the individual refers to as success you see so it really depends what you mean by your question.

Speaking in terms of educational success then of course it is an achievement in your academic career but for anything else that is up to the individual to decide their own success.
Having a degree makes you worth very little to employers these days.
Having no degree makes you worth nothing.
Original post by MrSupernova
Engineering: yes. The others: no. Geography isn't exactly much more useful than English you know; I'm fairly sure it's the degree with the highest unemployment rate. Salaries in the sciences (especially academia) are rarely anything to write home about; it's almost enough to make any aspiring chemist turn to cooking meth

Heisenberg!!!
Original post by swagyolo420
No i got to like level 126 on runescape with just a rune scimmy, never touched a degree ever. Does a degree help you slay a level 300 mutant fire dragon? Na didnt think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No but did you get 120 summoning...
Original post by A5ko
No you don't.

Experience and proof you are capable of doing the job is all that is required.

If I were an employer, why would I take someone who has the theory behind the subject, over someone who has proven ability and experience.

Sorry but this is absolute rubbish.
Na, youtubers earn **** loads for talking to a camera.
Reply 93
You don't need it, but it will be a lot easier to achieve your goal if you have a degree
Reply 94
Original post by Geeky_Reader
You don't need to get a degree to be successful. Look at mark zuckerberg, he dropped out of school yet he owns one of the biggest social networking sites.

He is one in like several billion people who has made it. Stop using him as an example. The only reason he dropped out was because Facebook was already becoming notoriously popular at the time he was studying. He basically KNEW he would become rich.
Reply 95
Not of course you don't. Get a trade and you're sorted for life. Work your way up in a private company. Start your own business. A degree isn't necessary to succeed.
Reply 96
Original post by Sophsha
Na, youtubers earn **** loads for talking to a camera.

It's extremely hard to get that many views though...
Original post by AnharM
It's extremely hard to get that many views though...

Not if you're attractive and talk nonsense
Reply 98
Original post by Sophsha
Not if you're attractive and talk nonsense

True...such is life haha
Original post by AnharM
He is one in like several billion people who has made it. Stop using him as an example. The only reason he dropped out was because Facebook was already becoming notoriously popular at the time he was studying. He basically KNEW he would become rich.

Okay then

what about....

Albert einstein
walt disney
richard Branson (self made billionaire)
colonel sanders (the king of KFC)
charles dickens
harry Houdini
princess Diana (she dropped out at 16)
bill gates
steve jobs

Quick Reply