The Student Room Group

Clearing Uni

I'm considering the possibility of applying through clearing to a university that requires a grade 6 in mathematics, while I currently hold a grade 5. I'm curious if there's flexibility in the clearing process, and if there's a chance the entry requirement could be changed. Am I finished or is their still hope/possibility.
Original post by ghggh
I'm considering the possibility of applying through clearing to a university that requires a grade 6 in mathematics, while I currently hold a grade 5. I'm curious if there's flexibility in the clearing process, and if there's a chance the entry requirement could be changed. Am I finished or is their still hope/possibility.

Iffy. Ask them now.
GCSE requirements are usually inflexible, even in clearing. But as above, you can ask.
Original post by Admit-One
GCSE requirements are usually inflexible, even in clearing. But as above, you can ask.
I’m having the same issue, do you think it would be best to ask now or through clearing when the university may be more lenient obviously because, it’s clearing.
Original post by enthusiast00
I’m having the same issue, do you think it would be best to ask now or through clearing when the university may be more lenient obviously because, it’s clearing.
There’s no harm in asking now and then again if the course is actually in clearing. I suspect it’ll depend on how desperate they are to fill places, which they may not know until results day.
There's still time to enter yourself for GCSE Maths this year - if you're confident about coping with a degree that requires a 6 grade then it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to get a 6 grade.
Original post by Admit-One
There’s no harm in asking now and then again if the course is actually in clearing. I suspect it’ll depend on how desperate they are to fill places, which they may not know until results day.
Yeah that’s what I think aswell because, right now they wouldn’t be as desperate than they are after exam results.
Original post by ghggh
Universities dont alter their GCSE Maths requirement. It is thee because of the Maths content of the course and is what they feel you need to succeed. You could try during clearing but it is very unlikely to change. You need to resit your GCSE Maths to get a higher grade or look at universities that only require grade 5.
If you dont meet the GCSE requirement it will be an instant rejection - even in Clearing.
Reply 9
Yeah that’s what I think aswell because, right now they wouldn’t be as desperate than they are after exam results.
I have already contacted a couple of unis about this and they told me it’s unlikely for them to change their gcse requirement however it depends on the situation on the results day.
Saying again:

There's still time to enter yourself for GCSE Maths this year - if you're confident about coping with a degree that requires a 6 grade then it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to get a 6 grade.
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities dont alter their GCSE Maths requirement. It is thee because of the Maths content of the course and is what they feel you need to succeed. You could try during clearing but it is very unlikely to change. You need to resit your GCSE Maths to get a higher grade or look at universities that only require grade 5.
Not necessarily I’ve been given unconditional offers with a grade 5 for grade 6 courses
Not necessarily I’ve been given unconditional offers with a grade 5 for grade 6 courses
That isnt the norm. The uni must be desperate for students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending