The Student Room Group

AQA DT Prod3 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dezza1994
Hey, I only talked about two products one is b32 for bauhaus and one is the super lamp for memphis. Do you think I would get marks because it says use a range of products....

Yeah it would if the question specifies a range of.product it wants to see a range of products that reflect the criteria of good products with two differnet design movements. Like i said how post modernist focus on aesthetics rather than function and use of colours i mentioned memphis products like the room divider and the super lamp..but i then mentioned the juicy salif and how it was avaliable in three colours gold black.and silver. Which is reflected in the iphone5s which illistrated the use of colour in iconic products. As both the juicy salif and iphone is regarded as good design. I done the similar for.bauhaus as well..i went for a contrast of function with bauhaus then a contrast with looks of the product as well i feel it shows your understanding of good design in a range of products etc.
Original post by RyanFidler
Yeah it would if the question specifies a range of.product it wants to see a range of products that reflect the criteria of good products with two differnet design movements. Like i said how post modernist focus on aesthetics rather than function and use of colours i mentioned memphis products like the room divider and the super lamp..but i then mentioned the juicy salif and how it was avaliable in three colours gold black.and silver. Which is reflected in the iphone5s which illistrated the use of colour in iconic products. As both the juicy salif and iphone is regarded as good design. I done the similar for.bauhaus as well..i went for a contrast of function with bauhaus then a contrast with looks of the product as well i feel it shows your understanding of good design in a range of products etc.

sh*t
sh*t

Just gotta wait until results day buddy.
did anyone do question 2 ?
its about the how CAD improve concept development, communication in design team, product testing and prototype
Hey, I only talked about two products one is b32 for bauhaus and one is the super lamp for memphis. Do you think I would get marks because it says use a range of products....

I doesn't necessarily mean that you will drop a lot of marks. If you have talked about each of those products in depth can justified your points then you could still get quite a lot of marks
its about the how CAD improve concept development, communication in design team, product testing and prototype

Yeah, although I didn't really want to, best of a bad bunch! What did you write about for each of the four things?
I don’t think it was a bad paper. It’s a little out there in places and tries to send you off at a tangent. If you stuck with the main theme of the questions you’d have been fine.

The only one I couldn’t have anticipated was the way they worded the good design final question. That was a little out there in terms wording. They were asking what a good design is and to choose it from a specific era or movement. The list is endless but you should have talked about aesthetics, materials, processes etc.
Reply 187

I did this question! I wrote about development where you can makes changes and developments to a CAD drawing easily, can render them and put them in photo-realistic environments to show to the customer. I also wrote about engineering drawings here.
For communication in the design team I struggled a bit! I wrote about how the designs could be send all over the word via e-mail etc. and that changes could be made to them and sent back for improvements.
For product testing I wrote about cars and engine testing. I also wrote about CAD programmes being able to tell you weights of products if they were made from certain materials and also limits of curvature for methods of production.
Lastly the prototying I linked it to rapid protoyping saying that a prototype could be produced straight from a CAD drawing using processes such as 3D printing and CAM milling machines and then I talked about the advantages of this.
What did you do?
What did people say for the very last question on the two design movements? I said bauhaus and memphis. So basically modernist and post modernist.
Reply 189
Original post by Ellie Oakley
The boundaries are really low for this exam meaning you can drop 30 marks and still get an A. If you've got 3 A's you will have a good amount of UMS to count towards it. I'm sure you did better than you think you did :smile: x

i'm just really down about the last question, i completely went off on a tangent, and i'm kicking myself as i knew everything about systems i just didn't spot it in the question like everyone else did, i basically talked about the change from glass bottles to plastic bottles due to the development in blow moulding which is fit for mass manufacture and talked about all of the benefits of this movement from glass to plastic and how this met consumer demands by being lower cost and lightweight whilst also having the same properties the previous bottle had, i know that's all probably wrong but i just feel like i can't even pick up a single mark there, so frustrating when you work your ass off and it doesn't even come down to not knowing your stuff. just makes me sick to think that i could have to take a year out to re-sit with the possibility that i may do the same next year!
Original post by Sjcw
i'm just really down about the last question, i completely went off on a tangent, and i'm kicking myself as i knew everything about systems i just didn't spot it in the question like everyone else did, i basically talked about the change from glass bottles to plastic bottles due to the development in blow moulding which is fit for mass manufacture and talked about all of the benefits of this movement from glass to plastic and how this met consumer demands by being lower cost and lightweight whilst also having the same properties the previous bottle had, i know that's all probably wrong but i just feel like i can't even pick up a single mark there, so frustrating when you work your ass off and it doesn't even come down to not knowing your stuff. just makes me sick to think that i could have to take a year out to re-sit with the possibility that i may do the same next year!

Thats actually good example to use! It was quite an open ended question and the development of processes could probably be used to answer it, given that you've related back to the question and given some valid arguments I would say there's opportunity for a lot of marks there, answers are often open for interpretation by the examiner, read over the mark schemes, you'll see they're open ended in what gets marks,

Don't worry about it!
Reply 191
I did that question, helped having done business studies and the fact my college took us on a trip to the Jaguar manufacturing plant to see manufacturing processes such as JIT, TQM, Kanban and cell manufacturing being used first hand helped. I think the question was looking more for the likes of these techniques. Still don't think I was able to go into enough detail cos I was running out of time :-/
Anyone do question one? About colour, texture and images? It was so vague I couldn't think of anything to say.... bit of a mind blank, just talked about colour on milk bottles and texture on hand grips! I also couldn't answer any of the second part on technology advancements... I knew very little about it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Student2117
Anyone do question one? About colour, texture and images? It was so vague I couldn't think of anything to say.... bit of a mind blank, just talked about colour on milk bottles and texture on hand grips! I also couldn't answer any of the second part on technology advancements... I knew very little about it

I done that question i talked about a standard tv remote and adapted tv remote like bigger buttons, bigger size to accomidate grip, grooves in the buttons to increase ergonomics of the product, contrasting colours in bigger bolder font to make it easier to use. I specified that product would be addopted for the artirtis elderly and visually impared due to the increase in size etc. I then talked about a electronic toothbrush and using TPE to know when the blind person has the tooth brush in their mouth and TPE on the buttons so sensos relies on turning it on and off rarther than vision. I mentioned inclusive design and how functionallty and ergonomics is cruical to enusre a products success to a range of poeple.

With the technological development i talked about miniastursation and microchip. I used reffernces as the Sony Walkman 1979 to the MP3 players and the trend of miniastursation that, it followed. I then mentioned how the microchip speeds up the process in which mobiles carry out tasks, as i mentioned the old nokia phone was so technoligcal developed it began to crash, incontrast with the Iphone 5s the speed in which it carries out tasks is sifficantly quicker due to the microchip.
Reply 194

I answered that question. I wrote about the colour of bins to help people recycle, safety features of implementing colour such as thermochromic inks to warn people when a kettles boiled. Grips used on handles to improve ergonomics and reduce spillages. It was hard to think of things for it though
I pretty much said the exact same as you, hopefully that's a good thing!
Original post by Circa1801
I was debating this too, as someone else said, I think it was talking about how things have changed to required flexible systems, QRM and JIT production, such as how the ford model T was mass produced and now cars are more commonly batch produced to order with options etc, that's how I understood it.

This was the one where you had to choose a specific industry wasn't it? I did cars, i went on about the production lines, like Nissan and how it vastly improves efficiency and then stuff about how CNC turning is a lot more accurate than done by a manual centre lathe. I know I didn't write enough for 20 but hopefully at least 12 marks.
Original post by RyanFidler
I done that question i talked about a standard tv remote and adapted tv remote like bigger buttons, bigger size to accomidate grip, grooves in the buttons to increase ergonomics of the product, contrasting colours in bigger bolder font to make it easier to use. I specified that product would be addopted for the artirtis elderly and visually impared due to the increase in size etc. I then talked about a electronic toothbrush and using TPE to know when the blind person has the tooth brush in their mouth and TPE on the buttons so sensos relies on turning it on and off rarther than vision. I mentioned inclusive design and how functionallty and ergonomics is cruical to enusre a products success to a range of poeple.

With the technological development i talked about miniastursation and microchip. I used reffernces as the Sony Walkman 1979 to the MP3 players and the trend of miniastursation that, it followed. I then mentioned how the microchip speeds up the process in which mobiles carry out tasks, as i mentioned the old nokia phone was so technoligcal developed it began to crash, incontrast with the Iphone 5s the speed in which it carries out tasks is sifficantly quicker due to the microchip.

Ahhh I completely misread that question! I was going to talk about using braille ect but when they put the all in bold I though I couldnt use braille as it is only relevant to blind people, I realize now that that actually includes all people... ahhh im so silly!

I really had a mind blank on the technological developments, I mentioned nanotechnology and digitalisation but could not think of any way to elaborate on it..... really flunked that exam
Out of curiosity, say I got a C in this exam, but got two A's at AS and an A/A* in my coursework this year, what does anyone think that may round to overall? Really need a B at least overall :frown:
Reply 199
Out of curiosity, say I got a C in this exam, but got two A's at AS and an A/A* in my coursework this year, what does anyone think that may round to overall? Really need a B at least overall :frown:

I should think you will still get a B with strong marks like that should you get a C in the exam. I just got an A in my coursework last year, got a D in the exam and scraped a B by one mark. I should think you will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest