The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bigrico
Hello there,

I thought I would start up this thread becuase I am sick and tired of religion infringing on my everyday life even though I choose to be non-religious.

I have had several bad experiences of this recently and just wish to be able to live my life free from religion.

Anyone else got any points?

I would prefer if only non-religious people answered as I am not interested in religious peoples points of view.

And before anyone has a go at me and says I am being racist, I was asked not to raise points in any of the religious soceities as I am not of that religion and I respected that wish.

whats worse is when religious leaders migrate onto random television channels trying to inflict their views on people who arn't part of their religion.

I'd ban all religions about the same time as I'd abolish the monarchy.

10inchpianist
Religion will be around untill the day the Earth is engulfed by the Sun, years into the future. To put in simply humans need religion as much as plants need light. You might not like it, but it'll never go away so deal with it. But you could make your own country and impose a Stalinist rule of no religion

:rolleyes:

What about all the people on this earth at the moment who arn't needing religion and are getting on perfectly well as it is?

Jerby
Why hasn't this thread been deleted? bigrico, you have entangled yourself in a pitiful web of contradiction, .

Arn't religions themselves created from pitiful webs of contradiction, thus to discuss them one can only delve deep into the tangle oneself.

Reply 61
Jums
Wise words. No religion should be taught at schools on a national level. At private church schools, fair enough, but to force religion onto young pupils at an institution they are legally obliged to attend is the first step along an (admittedly very long) road to religious brainwashing.

I never took RE lessons - are they biased towards Christianity? I find that hard to believe!

It is a waste of time to try to force people to become Christians by cramming it down their throats - look at Bigrico for proof. It's like trying to force a couple to marry!
Reply 62
I am a non-believer, I think all religion and the belief in gods and deitys is a load of nonsense.

But that is my belief, I dont wish to force it on anyone, nor do I wish ill on anyone who is a believer.

Unfortunately I am not able to go about my daily life without religion and its followers infringing on it.

Apparently because I dont believe in religions I am not allowed to hold opinions on them either, yet religious followers can call me blasphemous, infidels, satan or whatever, this is what annoys me and gets my back up.

Why in the 21st century can a man who does not believe in any religions not be allowed to?
I'd love to join :biggrin:
The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not.

Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.
Dyakson

It is a waste of time to try to force people to become Christians by cramming it down their throats - look at Bigrico for proof. It's like trying to force a couple to marry!

Look at Islam for opposition.
Reply 66
Id love to join, there are many things that annoy me about religion in general. If religion was not about brainwashing from an early age then surely we would all know many people of many different religions? I only know christians. Why should religious beliefs depend on where you are born? Why is our national anthem have god in it "God save the queen" (how many times we hear that and how stupid is it? lol).
When choosing as school or college, do you know where you were on the waiting list? I could have went to a place called carmel. Number 1 people on there lists are local catholics with the grades, then catholics from anywhere with the grades, then locals with the grades, then non locals with the grades, then any catholics without the right grades and then the rest. I got As and A*s but was not considered local. So, i was on the 4th rung of the priority list, how ridiculous was that, and how annoyed do you think i was for being rejected? This college requires bs to get in normally, whilst the only ones near anyone can get in. How on earth is this fair?
Imo, religion should not be taught anywhere, unless as an adult when you can make an informed decision yourself whether you want to be religious or not. Then, im sure religion would be nowhere near as widespread as it is now, if anyone believes that it would be is only fooling themselves.
MBenno

When choosing as school or college, do you know where you were on the waiting list? I could have went to a place called carmel. Number 1 people on there lists are local catholics with the grades, then catholics from anywhere with the grades, then locals with the grades, then non locals with the grades, then any catholics without the right grades and then the rest. I got As and A*s but was not considered local. So, i was on the 4th rung of the priority list, how ridiculous was that, and how annoyed do you think i was for being rejected? This college requires bs to get in normally, whilst the only ones near anyone can get in. How on earth is this fair?

Is this a faith school? If not, then i'd think you were delusional.
Reply 68
Normal college. It only becomes a problem with popular courses, i of course wanted to do maths, french, history and physics, all popular courses, there were too many higher priority history people ahead of me, lol.
MBenno
Normal college. It only becomes a problem with popular courses, i of course wanted to do maths, french, history and physics, all popular courses, there were too many higher priority history people ahead of me, lol.

So you're saying that in a normal college which is supposed to be unbiased in selection of individuals according to religion, they would reject you due to you being a non-believer? Of catholicism or Christianity? I highly doubt that...
Reply 70
I mean a normal catholic college, nothing catholic about doing maths, french, history and whatever, dont know about tutorials or whatever. The same problem is in the schools aswell, people who must go to a catholic school or absolutely mustnt go end up having to take buses out of there area. This is a big topic of discussion in my area as the planning of knocking down schools/building new ones has been around for a while. A few years back i remember there was talk about knocking down one of the primary schools, there were 3 very close, 1 was catholic, and guess which one was immediately ruled out? Due to the support of the church and no other reason, lol. Its ridiculous.
Ah if it's a catholic school then there might be favouritism shown towards applicable candidates.
Reply 72
And you think thats fair the catholic one is the best one around? and some none catholics are forced to seek another college that accepts lower grades and performs worse in exams?

Latest

Trending

Trending