The Student Room Group

Why is religion against sex?

Sex is great, I don't see why religion makes it morally wrong if it's not cheating. And it's unfair because god created all those thirsty guys who dream of sex in the first place, full of sexual hormones after puberty and the same god says they can't have sex
Religion is against extra-marital sex, not sex as a concept
God created men with desires, but the point is for you to have self-control, and not do earthly things when you shouldn’t be. Sex is a soul tie, one should not have multiple soul ties, hence one should not have many sexual partners.
Reply 3
It appears to me to be about control. If you can aspire to dictate what people to do in this personal area you’ve truly got the grip of your disciples. It absolutely incredible what religion can get away with but of course the crazy double standards, lives and hypocrisy that this leads to is phenomenal
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

This. I think that religion believes that you should have sex for necessary reasons i.e to procreate/for reproduction purposes, but someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
Despite me no longer being religious, I can agree with the religions on this one (I don't agree with the idea that you shouldn't have sex before marriage though) but people are free to do what they want. What you do behind closed doors is none of my business.
Reply 5

So students can't have sex as students can't be married obviously
Original post by Zarek
It appears to me to be about control. If you can aspire to dictate what people to do in this personal area you’ve truly got the grip of your disciples. It absolutely incredible what religion can get away with but of course the crazy double standards, lives and hypocrisy that this leads to is phenomenal

This as a well in my opinion
So students can't have sex as students can't be married obviously

There is no reason why students can't be married - I know a few religious couples who got married at uni.
Sex is great, I don't see why religion makes it morally wrong if it's not cheating. And it's unfair because god created all those thirsty guys who dream of sex in the first place, full of sexual hormones after puberty and the same god says they can't have sex

Which religion?
Reply 9
There is no reason why students can't be married - I know a few religious couples who got married at uni.

Students usually can't be married, they're not working and struggling even to pay students expenses so how can they get married? Most students aren't married so they can't have sex according to religion
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
Which religion?

Most of them, Christian and Islam don't let you have sex unless with strict conditions such as being already married, can't divorce either so you can't ever have sex with someone else other than that one. If you're gay you can't have sex ever
Most of them, Christian and Islam don't let you have sex unless with strict conditions such as being already married, can't divorce either so you can't ever have sex with someone else other than that one. If you're gay you can't have sex ever

I mean, there are actually a huge number of religions outside of Christianity and Islam (also Christianity has very varied views on sex depending on the exact variety of Christianity it is), and some of them have much less to say on sex - and a number in fact have sex directly being part of it.

Don't say "religion" when you mean "Christianity and Islam" because they represent a fairly narrow range of religious beliefs - while they are widespread that does not mean they are representative of religion in general and it would be misguided to assume they do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending