The Student Room Group

New Edexcel mathematics GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenOfThem
Hate?

Perhaps you could explain your opinion so that I can understand it

What do you think the purpose of Foundation GCSE is?
What do you think an employer or a student understands by a grade E/F/G in Maths?
What do you think an employer should be able expect from a student with a "good pass" (currently a C grade)?

the point of foundation is for the less able students and tp preent them from getting a U grade.

Well if you got an E/F/G it means you are not that clever.

Attaining a C would mean you know maths and can apply it in real life.
How is

Something that does not challenge able students

Something that does not prepare for an appropriate A Level

Something that means universities can no longer rely on a C grade student being suitable for degree level study

Fair for everyone?

We all have different abilities,thought processes, experiences and genes so why is a class full of individulas tested by the same means?
Original post by German123
I think its a bad idea for the Government or politicians to decide what should be on that maths syllabuss. The reson for this is that school teachers know their students better so i think it would be fair for the maths techers or the head of maths in ecah school to have a say dont you think?

Also some opinions could be one sided so it would be fair to interview the majority about this....Its realy bad that the reality is that maths teachers cant have a say in this.:mad:

There is never a single view amongst supposed experts in a field. By handing over decisions to politicians changes can be made. Whether change is even necessary/desirable is another matter.
Original post by Mr M
There is never a single view amongst supposed experts in a field. By handing over decisions to politicians changes can be made. Whether change is even necessary/desirable is another matter.

Sir if you dont mind me sking...do you agree with the changes?
the point of foundation is for the less able students and tp preent them from getting a U grade.

So it only has a negative purpose?

Well if you got an E/F/G it means you are not that clever.

So you want to continue with a specification that tells us nothing about lower ability students - how do they benefit from a qualification whose only purpose is to label them as "not very clever"?

Attaining a C would mean you know maths and can apply it in real life.

That would be great - sadly the current spec does not do this at all - so why do you want to continue with it?
We all have different abilities,thought processes, experiences and genes so why is a class full of individulas tested by the same means?

We do indeed - why are you so keen on maintaining a system that tests everyone by the same means?
Original post by newblood
i think this is definitely better than just having easy GCSE maths that everyones passes as it currently is.

When you say 'pass' do you mean at grade G or grade C? A significant proportion of students do not achieve grade C.
Sir if you dont mind me sking...do you agree with the changes?

I think the demand at Foundation Tier is too hard. I'm quite happy for the Higher Tier demand to increase. I facepalmed at the introduction of a ninth pass grade. What we need is fewer pass grades not more!
So it only has a negative purpose?

So you want to continue with a specification that tells us nothing about lower ability students - how do they benefit from a qualification whose only purpose is to label them as "not very clever"?

That would be great - sadly the current spec does not do this at all - so why do you want to continue with it?

I think you should relax....Well attaining an E/F/G Grade at maths GCSE can get you somewhere unlike when atteining a U so there is a purpose. Also an E/F/G is considered as a pass but not with in the standards(5A*-C in cluding English and maths) and a U(Ungradeable is considered as a fail) So surley it is better to sit the founation and not risk getting a U grade which is a fail dont you think?
Original post by Mr M
I think the demand at Foundation Tier is too hard. I'm quite happy for the Higher Tier demand to increase. I facepalmed at the introduction of a ninth pass grade. What we need is fewer pass grades not more!

well in my opinion the demand for both tiers is to high and should remani the ay it was. It looks like both paper are filled with AS maths content.

Original post by Mr M

Sir it is esay for people like you to say. How about the less able students who would have to take the higher paper regardless of their ability on foundation E/F/G) in order to pass as it is easier for you to pass on the higher than foundation.
We do indeed - why are you so keen on maintaining a system that tests everyone by the same means?

well in my opinion it is playing safe.
I think you should relax....Well attaining an E/F/G Grade at maths GCSE can get you somewhere unlike when atteining a U so there is a purpose. Also an E/F/G is considered as a pass but not with in the standards(5A*-C in cluding English and maths) and a U(Ungradeable is considered as a fail) So surley it is better to sit the founation and not risk getting a U grade which is a fail dont you think?

I think you have lost your train of thought

Where have I suggested that a U grade is a good idea

I think I made it pretty clear that believe there should be a qualification suited to less able students that deals with functional skills - I believe that the current spec (and the new one) does a massive dis-service to students who are mathematically weak - your suggestion seems to be that the current foundation meets the needs of these students - I can assure you that it does not.
well in my opinion it is playing safe.

Well I have to say that, imo, is an awful reason for maintaining the status quo

We have a poor maths GCSE that serves almost no individual and certainly does not provide society with mathematically literate individuals

To keep it because that is "safe" or easy would be lazy

Change is needed, sadly I do not think Gove has made the corret changes
Sir it is esay for people like you to say. How about the less able students who would have to take the higher paper regardless of their ability on foundation E/F/G) in order to pass as it is easier for you to pass on the higher than foundation.

Hang on

When you talk about "the less able" are you actually talking about students who scrape a C rather than mathematically weak students?
well in my opinion the demand for both tiers is to high and should remani the ay it was. It looks like both paper are filled with AS maths content.

There are two Tiers so it isn't one exam for all.
Hang on

When you talk about "the less able" are you actually talking about students who scrape a C rather than mathematically weak students?

what i mean the people who struggle to get a C as the questions are too demanding-baisically mathematically weak stuents.
Well I have to say that, imo, is an awful reason for maintaining the status quo

We have a poor maths GCSE that serves almost no individual and certainly does not provide society with mathematically literate individuals

To keep it because that is "safe" or easy would be lazy

Change is needed, sadly I do not think Gove has made the corret changes

what do you mean by Gove has not made the correct changes? I though you were in favour for the new spec
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't like the idea of foundation because to me it seems like they are not bothered to put in extra effort to help so instead make them sit papers that they know will only get them grades that employers don't want. It's how they divide society.
I am thinking of current B grade Highers who would struggle

TBH I am thinking of a couple of AS students who would

with regards to this do you still aprove of the new spec?

Quick Reply

Latest