The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Question: would you rather Willian departed than Schurrle?
Tough question, problem is our style of play involves a lot of possession retaining against weaker teams, against stronger teams depending on how we are we will play periods of possession retention and we'll also spend periods sitting deep staying compact.

I'd keep Willian instead of Schurrle, but that is a tough question.
Original post by Mackay
Question: would you rather Willian departed than Schurrle?

I've always been a fan of Willian over Schurrle. I think Willian, despite his lack of end product, is much more consistent than Schurrle and his high workrate means he frequently wins back the ball on the right hand side, especially when Ivanovic goes AWOL.

Schurrle has had a few games where he's been excellent, but (especially this season) he has mostly been mediocre. It's a shame because he was developing well, but his illness seemed to really knock him back (I read that he lost >10kg, but this sounds like way too much to be realistic) and he never fully recovered.
Original post by Nichrome
I've always been a fan of Willian over Schurrle. I think Willian, despite his lack of end product, is much more consistent than Schurrle and his high workrate means he frequently wins back the ball on the right hand side, especially when Ivanovic goes AWOL.

Schurrle has had a few games where he's been excellent, but (especially this season) he has mostly been mediocre. It's a shame because he was developing well, but his illness seemed to really knock him back (I read that he lost >10kg, but this sounds like way too much to be realistic) and he never fully recovered.

You've got to wonder whether it's a mentality thing with the Germans now.

They've won the World Cup - a lot of them must be asking "where do we go from here?". Mertesacker has been vocal about his motivational issues this season, and it could be the same for Schurrle.
Original post by Mackay
You've got to wonder whether it's a mentality thing with the Germans now.

They've won the World Cup - a lot of them must be asking "where do we go from here?". Mertesacker has been vocal about his motivational issues this season, and it could be the same for Schurrle.

Meh they're both playing at CL level clubs so I don't believe that at all, especially when both Schurrle and Mertesacker were bit part players.
Has the Schurrle deal gone through then or what? :confused:
Has the Schurrle deal gone through then or what? :confused:

Not formally but I think everything is lined up on both deals?
Original post by Zerforax
Not formally but I think everything is lined up on both deals?

That's what I thought, but BBC is saying the German window closes at 17:00 so I thought we'd have heard something by now.
That's what I thought, but BBC is saying the German window closes at 17:00 so I thought we'd have heard something by now.

They have to have submitted to the current transfer list of the German Football League Association before 17.00, which has already been done:

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/medien/transfers/

They can then formalise the rest afterwards I believe.
Never liked the German. Had such a small rat face.

Cuadrado is a weird one. He's playing alongside quality so he won't flop but if you watch Fiorentina he's boring. Very selfish. Shoots too much. And tbh he won't have the space he has in Serie A. One dimensional. Receives the ball. Has space. Runs into the space. Takes one or two players on. Repeat.
Original post by Zerforax
They have to have submitted to the current transfer list of the German Football League Association before 17.00, which has already been done:

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/medien/transfers/

They can then formalise the rest afterwards I believe.

Ahhh, thanks for the explanation!
Original post by Bubzeh

Cuadrado is a weird one. He's playing alongside quality so he won't flop but if you watch Fiorentina he's boring. Very selfish. Shoots too much. And tbh he won't have the space he has in Serie A. One dimensional. Receives the ball. Has space. Runs into the space. Takes one or two players on. Repeat.

Tbf to Cuadrado he has been playing as a no.10 this season.

Also same thing can be said for Alexis Sanchez wrt Cuadrado's style.
It's been confirmed now :frown: It's a shame, but hoping Cuadrado will give us a better option.
Original post by Bubzeh

Don't be bitter.
Goodbye, Schurrle. I'd have taken him at Anfield.
The first transfer of Mou's second spell leaves :frown:

Still remember his goal which was assisted by Cesc
Reply 5676
Always liked Schurrle, sad to see him go but really his style of play doesn't suit ours at all. He will do well in Germany for sure, especially the way Wolfsburg play he will be able to really impress imo. Probably score 20+ goals a season in all comps at least.

Think Cuadrado is much more in the model of our current style of play (and players). He's tricky, can dribble and take a man on, and he's quick. I think he will thrive playing around similar players who he can combine with and be on the same wavelength.

See how it pans out though. Not sure if he'll go straight into the team or be expected to fight it out for a while before really getting a run.
Reply 5677
Original post by Enoxial
The first transfer of Mou's second spell leaves :frown:

Still remember his goal which was assisted by Cesc

Wouldn't really put Schurrle down to Mou, it was already coming even a year before Mou joined it just took us awhile to get him. Think he was bought purely as part of our buy to sell policy.
Reply 5679

Latest