The Student Room Group

Product Design or Engineering?

I can't choose between product design or engineering. Which one shall I do. Please can I have descriptions of both subjects, how hard they are and usefulness for the future.

Original post by 123silentboy
I can't choose between product design or engineering. Which one shall I do. Please can I have descriptions of both subjects, how hard they are and usefulness for the future.

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Maths, science and technology forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

Do you have any gut feeling about which subject you think you'd like better? :smile:

If you're more interested in art then I would do product design as it is largely based around the design and development of products, taking into account aesthetics and ergonomics. If you like sketching products, then going on to model them and refine prototypes, then choose product design.

Engineering is basically applied physics, with a large proportion of your time being spent calculating things like material properties, the action of fluids and how objects behave in certain conditions. So if you like maths and physics I'd choose engineering.

A product designer will design the product, but the engineer will make it work.
Reply 3
To be honest,I'm not confident in either :/

Thanks so much for your reply :smile:
If it's Edexcel Engineering, keep as far away from it as you can :afraid:
To be honest,I'm not confident in either :/

Thanks so much for your reply :smile:

Original post by Arithmeticae
If it's Edexcel Engineering, keep as far away from it as you can :afraid:

Oh if you mean for A Level, most universities see A Level Engineering as near useless for an engineering course, you'd be much better off taking physics and maths.

However if you want to do product design at university, an A Level in it is probably a must!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending