The Student Room Group

Risk management

Hi guys,

I currently work for a retail banks' risk management division. Has anyone worked for an IB risk management division? What's the day to day work like?
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Hi guys,

I currently work for a retail banks' risk management division. Has anyone worked for an IB risk management division? What's the day to day work like?

Work shadowed in Market Risk at a BB - So Trading support:

- Look at previous day trading positions and make sure everything is sound
- Assess the financial risk to the firms reserves
- Stress testing
- Writing reports to regulators
- Advising traders on potential problems regarding risk
- Coming up with solutions to mitigate risk on certain investment

Technically these guys are just mathematically able to say the least
Original post by Demographics
Work shadowed in Market Risk at a BB - So Trading support:

- Look at previous day trading positions and make sure everything is sound
- Assess the financial risk to the firms reserves
- Stress testing
- Writing reports to regulators
- Advising traders on potential problems regarding risk
- Coming up with solutions to mitigate risk on certain investment

Technically these guys are just mathematically able to say the least

I'd imagine they'd need a good grasp of economics, specifically understanding the current UK market and how it affects trades on a daily basis. Is this a prerequisite, or something that can be learned in the role?
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I'd imagine they'd need a good grasp of economics, specifically understanding the current UK market and how it affects trades on a daily basis. Is this a prerequisite, or something that can be learned in the role?

You should be going in with as much knowledge as applicably possible. However you do get training if you're a successful applicant. For instance at one of the BBs they get flown out to NY for training to really understand what they're getting in to. For Risk Management, ideally you'd wan to have a quantitative background (if anything). I think mathematical ability takes precedence in roles associated with Risk.
Risk management is involve by analyzing the market and its credit risk, As I know it is analyzing the market so it is a field work. Well investment banking is built into different offices, here you have to manage project risks, issues and dependencies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending