The Student Room Group

aqa physics as unit 2 june 2010

Hi Im unsure of the equation used to derive an answer in this exam can anyone explain the calculation or what the formula used is?

Figure 4 shows a gymnast trampolining

(figure of a girl in the air at point B, and a girl at point A which is on a stretched trampoline)

In travelling from her lowest position at A to her highest position at B, her centre of
mass rises 4.2 m vertically. Her mass is 55 kg.
4 (a) Calculate the increase in her gravitational potential energy when she ascends from
position A to position B.
I worked out this using Ep=mgh (2266J)
4 (b) The gymnast descends from position B and regains contact with the trampoline when it
is in its unstretched position. At this position, her centre of mass is 3.2 m below its
position at B.
4 (b) (i) Calculate her kinetic energy at the instant she touches the unstretched trampoline.
I cannot work out this answer and how they got to it

4 (b) (ii) Calculate her vertical speed at the same instant.

this one must found by rearranging Ek=1/2mv^2 but Ek needed from bi)

so to work out bi) i need to use an equation to find out Ek but its not using the Ek=1/2mv^2 equation so what equation was used?

The mark scheme does 3.2/4.2 X 2264 why have the done this?
(edited 9 years ago)
The kinetic energy when she comes back down on to the trampoline will be found from the potential energy she has lost in falling from the maximum height to the trampoline.
Loss in PE = gain in KE.

She starts with no KE at the top.
Reply 2
Original post by michaela holmes
Hi Im unsure of the equation used to derive an answer in this exam can anyone explain the calculation or what the formula used is?

Figure 4 shows a gymnast trampolining

(figure of a girl in the air at point B, and a girl at point A which is on a stretched trampoline)

In travelling from her lowest position at A to her highest position at B, her centre of
mass rises 4.2 m vertically. Her mass is 55 kg.
4 (a) Calculate the increase in her gravitational potential energy when she ascends from
position A to position B.
I worked out this using Ep=mgh (2266J)
4 (b) The gymnast descends from position B and regains contact with the trampoline when it
is in its unstretched position. At this position, her centre of mass is 3.2 m below its
position at B.
4 (b) (i) Calculate her kinetic energy at the instant she touches the unstretched trampoline.
I cannot work out this answer and how they got to it

4 (b) (ii) Calculate her vertical speed at the same instant.

this one must found by rearranging Ek=1/2mv^2 but Ek needed from bi)

so to work out bi) i need to use an equation to find out Ek but its not using the Ek=1/2mv^2 equation so what equation was used?

The mark scheme does 3.2/4.2 X 2264 why have the done this?

Hi! I know this is a slightly delayed post but i am confused on this too!
I dont know why it is 2264 and not 2266 which is what we calculated earlier????
If you know how to do this I would really appreciate your help. Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest