The Student Room Group

Was Henrik Larsson the most unfulfilled career of all time?

BRB scoring a goal a game for 7 years in Scotland
BRB peak years in a pub league
BRB leaves for Barca/Utd when he's well past his peak and still looks a million bucks

If he'd came to England at 25 I wonder how many goals he'd have got? Probably a 20+ a season man for one of the top teams, often wonder why he wasnt bought.

Also missed the Zlatan era for Sweden, peak for Henrik.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is he actually still playing?
Currently managing Falkenbergs.
Kluivert was a disappointment considering his career peaked when he was a teenager. That car crash incident ruined his career.

Owen also had an unfulfilled career. Teen sensation in 1998, Ballon D'or in 2001, but not much after that.
Reply 4
Original post by Endless Blue
Is he actually still playing?

No. Well, not really. He has been retired from professional football for a few years now, but he's done some management (both as the big boss and the assistant), and when doing that registered himself as a player, making the very occasional appearance when his teams are hit with an injury crisis.

To say he has an unfulfilled career, simply because a few BPL fanboys think their league is the greatest on earth, and that he did only half a season in it for Man U means his career wasn't worth much, is insanity. If anything, he is probably far more fulfilled than most players. He spent seven unforgettable years at a club he loved dearly. He gained unparalleled respect in Scotland. Even the Rangers fans could only stand back and applaud his performances and attitude to the game, you'd be hard pressed to find someone in Ibrox have a bad word to say about him.

He became part of the Celtic family, and it visibly broke his heart to leave in 2004. But, he had those other experiences, in La Liga, and in the BPL. He has a Champions League winners medal, a World Cup Bronze medal, two La Liga titles, an English Premier League title, and 4 Scottish Premier League titles. Any footballer who has that as a list of achievements has had an exceptional career, no question.

If he really felt unfulfilled in his career, he'd have accepted Sir Alex Ferguson's offer of a contract renewal with Man United in '07. But that was never Henrik's way, he was a true professional of his sport, he fulfilled his Helsingborg contract and retired happily in his home town.

Forget these idiots that chase money and chase as many trophies as they possibly can - Larsson knew how to lead a life in football better than pretty much anyone. He struck the perfect balance. You contrast it two different players at opposite ends of the scale; Daniele De Rossi, a Roma idol, paid more than anyone else in Italy, regrets not going abroad in his early 20s - and then there is Túlio Maravilha, who has played for more clubs than Larsson has scored goals, he has been everywhere, but feels the need at 45 years of age to keep going, that his career isn't fulfilled yet.

Larsson is a rare case of a footballer that can actually act as a proper role model to young players.
"Was Henrik Larsson the most unfulfilled career of all time?"

sure, if you're a ****ing moron with no understanding of, or appreciation for, the game. the fact that someone was stupid enough to ask this question is beyond depressing. the original poster should refrain from future discussions about football, as he's clearly absurdly uninformed about the topic at hand. fail. such a huge fail. my head literally hurts from the idiocy of this question.
legend met him at Parkhead-(my Dad's a huge Celtic fan)
Reply 7
To be honest, he just did well to come back from that leg break at Celtic.

That was legitimately one of the worst injuries I've ever seen. It was right up there with Cisse and Busst's for me. To show the prolific nature of his goalscoring ability once he returned was nothing short of extraordinary. He was a great player, and certainly wasn't unfulfilled.
Original post by Mackay
To be honest, he just did well to come back from that leg break at Celtic.

That was legitimately one of the worst injuries I've ever seen. It was right up there with Cisse and Busst's for me. To show the prolific nature of his goalscoring ability once he returned was nothing short of extraordinary. He was a great player, and certainly wasn't unfulfilled.

You could argue he actually got better after the break, which is just amazing. He was a brilliant player and his variation of goal were great too.
Reply 9
Original post by samiz20891
You could argue he actually got better after the break, which is just amazing. He was a brilliant player and his variation of goal were great too.

Absolutely. How many players come back from a leg break that severe? I can't think of many. I'll be intrigued to see how Luke Shaw manages.
He's still won La Liga twice, the Premier League, the Champions League, played in a World Cup semi final and won countless individual honors like the European golden shoe. That's a better honours list than Gerrard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest