The Student Room Group

Is it worth re-sitting my GCSE's at 40 years old, just for the general knowledge?

I dropped out of school early to get into a trade..

I never took sat my GCSE's and I somewhat feel extremely uneducated and unfulfilled.

I can't even remember the last time I read a book.

I know it sounds daft but I don't want to have any regrets and I think that when im on my death bed i may look back and regret not even having a standard education.

Do you think i should just bite the bullet and go re-sit all my GCSE's?

The subjects i would want to take are;
English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and maybe Psychology.

Should I just do it? Or has the shipped sailed?
Reply 1
There is always time to learn, I would say definitely go for it. The more knowledge you have on a subject the better understanding you have of the world around you. The more you know the more interesting life gets :smile: When my father was 37 he went back to college to study Computing and now works for local software company, a big change from previously working in a Bakery!
Original post by ZenDixon
I dropped out of school early to get into a trade..

I never took sat my GCSE's and I somewhat feel extremely uneducated and unfulfilled.

I can't even remember the last time I read a book.

I know it sounds daft but I don't want to have any regrets and I think that when im on my death bed i may look back and regret not even having a standard education.

Do you think i should just bite the bullet and go re-sit all my GCSE's?

The subjects i would want to take are;
English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and maybe Psychology.

Should I just do it? Or has the shipped sailed?

There is nothing stopping you. I knew a guy who was taking English Lit at university in his 70s. Your big problam is how you will take them. Will you need practical exams as part of your Chem and Biol. Are you going to give up work. In that case you could sit English and Maths and then take an Access to Science course at your local college.Are you going to self teach.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Will you need practical exams as part of your Chem and Biol.

For GCSE Science subjects there are required practical questions in the exam however when students do the practicals it’s not assessed/graded by a teacher,as a requirement to pass the subjects,where as in A Level sciences subjects it is.
Many colleges of Further & Higher Education offer GCSEs, particularly in Maths and English, with many different time slots, including evenings and weekends. Now is a good time to get in touch with your local college and see what's available. You might be encouraged to take a less academic adult learners' course, but if your heart is set on GCSEs (and beyond?!), you can just try and push for those. There will also be lots of other adults taking part time GCSEs, and I highly doubt you'll be the oldest in the class.

Good luck!
Take IGCSEs for the sciences and English, and you avoid the practicals problem.

I'm a similar age (40 in December), and sure, I'd retake GCSEs if I felt unfulfilled by my initial results. Why not?
I went back to uni at the age of 37.
You're never too old to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest