The Student Room Group

3 plates, 4 plates and beyond!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C.Almasy
Technique is so important isn't it? That is what has surprised me with all of this, just how much of a difference working on the actual lift in a methodical/intelligent manner is.

I feel that I will need to work on plyometric/speed work in due course. There is always a weakness to work on really. I do feel confident my bench will improve a lot over the coming months though. Short term goal is to get to 80kg.

Yeah definitely, as with anything it just takes practice to get the muscle memory down. The speed work is just to get your fast-twitch muscle fibres working so you can power through sticking points in heavy bench sets, I just threw some in to break through that last plateau; I didn't do it for speed work's sake if that makes sense :smile:
Reply 41
Workout from today:

Squat 122.5kg: 3x5 completed all reps but it was a mixed performance. I tried to get as deep as I can but not all reps were good. I had reps where i really struggled/didn't get below parallel. Some reps were great, some really weren't. Legs were sore when i got back home, i struggled to get up the stairs. In the workout too , my legs were sore man after the sets. It felt really taxing at times.

Bench Press 65kg 3x5: 5,5,6. Completed all the reps and it was easy with my corrected form. Great stretch, great burn, great reps. A real improvement. 67.5kg next time.

Rows: 70kg 3x5. Completed all the reps with great form and in the final set I did 7 reps. It felt light really at times.

Then did some core and triceps accessory work, nothing too heavy.
Reply 42
With gains inevitably come stretchmarks. :frown:
With gains inevitably come stretchmarks. :frown:

really?
Reply 44
Original post by tehforum
really?

On my knee and shoulders. Cocoa butter should help.
Reply 45
Gah.

Bad session today. Squats were a total fail. 122.5kg felt like a tonne. I did 3 reps and then totally collapsed. It has to be a recovery issue surely. The other day it felt do-able. I am eating at 500 cals above maintenance now rather than 350 above. Yet, this squatting today felt so laboured, I was fatigued still.

Deadlifts 127.5kg : New 5 rep PR. Final rep was a grinder and staggered up. Will repeat next week to sort this out.

Overhead press: 52.5kg : Good sets. 3 sets of 5 done. Felt very heavy at the end. So, ohp and bench seem to be much improved now but Squats and deadlifts hitting problems.

Frustrating.
Reply 46
First day on Bill Starr's/Madcows 5x5 tomorrow. Yuhhhhhh!

meh, you still have more to gain from linear progression imo but your choice
Original post by illusionz

this guy is proof
Reply 49

Cbf with Rippetoes anymore.
Reply 50
this guy is proof

I have grown to despise Rippetoes and the emphasis on GOMAD. I find the whole Rippetoes 'movement' a bit offputting. For example, I find it is really not for me in terms of the bench press.
I have grown to despise Rippetoes and the emphasis on GOMAD. I find the whole Rippetoes 'movement' a bit offputting. For example, I find it is really not for me in terms of the bench press.

Your reasons for quitting are illogical.

You don't need to go GOMAD, just work hard, and eat lots.

Have you deloaded your bench press if you've failed twice?

Linear progression is not limited to SS.

You do not need to follow GOMAD to get protein/calories. In fact GOMAD is pretty bad if you can get protein from other sources. It's only good if you struggle to get the required calories.

I don't understand what you mean with your last sentance.
Reply 53
Your reasons for quitting are illogical.

You don't need to go GOMAD, just work hard, and eat lots.

Have you deloaded your bench press if you've failed twice?

I have deloaded the bench press once. However, I hate the lack of volume.

Also, squat is such a fail lately. I struggled to hit past 3 reps of 122.5kg last time. Did not even get to set 2. I don't see why now would be a bad time to move onto the Madcows 5x5 when more experienced members here such as Michael XYZ moved onto the programme when they were lifting quite a lot less than I was in their early days.

Also, I hate the Rippetoes worship across the internet. That is largely why I want to stop doing it, because I hate the fanaticism regarding the programme.
I have deloaded the bench press once. However, I hate the lack of volume.

Also, squat is such a fail lately. I struggled to hit past 3 reps of 122.5kg last time. Did not even get to set 2. I don't see why now would be a bad time to move onto the Madcows 5x5 when more experienced members here such as Michael XYZ moved onto the programme when they were lifting quite a lot less than I was in their early days.

Also, I hate the Rippetoes worship across the internet. That is largely why I want to stop doing it, because I hate the fanaticism regarding the programme.

As I said above, linear progression is not limited to starting strength. As a foundation of compound movements it is excellent.
Reply 55
As I said above, linear progression is not limited to starting strength. As a foundation of compound movements it is excellent.

The programme is not optimal for my goals. I want more volume for more mass gain. Primarily on the chest. People are so dogmatic with Rippetoes that it makes me cringe.
The programme is not optimal for my goals. I want more volume for more mass gain. Primarily on the chest. People are so dogmatic with Rippetoes that it makes me cringe.

You're not even reading what I'm posting lol
Reply 57
You're not even reading what I'm posting lol

No, I am reading what you are writing. I just do not like the Rippetoes manner of linear progression. It is unflexible, dogmatic, I hate what his programme represents. It is everything I hate about the fitness community, I hate his followers. I hate him. I hate his "know it all" persona even with far superior lifters and authorities with better cv's. He's a fad.
No, I am reading what you are writing. I just do not like the Rippetoes manner of linear progression. It is unflexible, dogmatic, I hate what his programme represents. It is everything I hate about the fitness community, I hate his followers. I hate him. I hate his "know it all" persona even with far superior lifters and authorities with better cv's. He's a fad.

At what point did I suggest doing Ripptoes? Personally I don't like it due to lack of volume and no accessory work. That does not mean that a program based around linear progression is not good.
Reply 59
At what point did I suggest doing Ripptoes? Personally I don't like it due to lack of volume and no accessory work. That does not mean that a program based around linear progression is not good.

Madcows is weekly linear progression. I am fine with that. I am physically unable to progress session to session with Rippetoes anymore. Otherwise, I would be adding weight ad infinitum still and satisfied with doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest