The Student Room Group

Being a waitress

Any advice for a new waitress? This is my first time waiting tables and I’m very nervous. I would really appreciate the help! Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Queen Rose
Any advice for a new waitress? This is my first time waiting tables and I’m very nervous. I would really appreciate the help! Thanks!

Maybe just recheck every order you take with your customers to make sure you have taken every order correctly. Check you are taking the correct order from the menu. Always smile and be exceptionally polite even if they are not. If you are not sure what to do in a situation then ask a colleague. If you are asked a question and you don't know the answer to it then go and check.
Don't worry if you make mistakes as you have never done this before.
You will be fine!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Cote1
Maybe just recheck every order you take with your customers to make sure you have taken every order correctly. Check you are taking the correct order from the menu. Always smile and be exceptionally polite even if they are not. If you are not sure what to do in a situation then ask a colleague. If you are asked a question and you don't know the answer to it then go and check.
Don't worry if you make mistakes as you have never done this before.
You will be fine!

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by Queen Rose

Make sure your hair's tied back properly so it's not dangling in plates or cups when you're taking them out or clearing up :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Make sure your hair's tied back properly so it's not dangling in plates or cups when you're taking them out or clearing up :smile:

Noted
First thing I learned to do when I was doing silver service, was how to carry three plates at the same time.

Put one in your left hand on top of your three middle fingers but with your pinkie and your thumb on top. Then place another plate on top of your pinkie, thumb, and wrist sort of area.
The pick up the third plate with your right hand.

(reverse this if you're left handed).
Reply 6
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
First thing I learned to do when I was doing silver service, was how to carry three plates at the same time.

Put one in your left hand on top of your three middle fingers but with your pinkie and your thumb on top. Then place another plate on top of your pinkie, thumb, and wrist sort of area.
The pick up the third plate with your right hand.

(reverse this if you're left handed).

That’s very helpful. Thank you so very much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending