The Student Room Group

AQA Maths GCSE Higher Paper 1

What did everybody think? I found it alright until the last few questions, which I found really difficult, was that just me? I need at least an A to do A level so I'm feeling slightly worried

Scroll to see replies

I found it fine apart from the last one.
Just did it too, don't worry about last one, a lot of people would have misunderstood that… i i didn't get an 'answer' but may get 1,2 marks for working.

Heres what i struggled on the most:
- The proof question (last one)
- Inequality graph question (the law firm one) - lost 2 marks
- The standard form complex - 2x10^8 (x^2) = 1.8 x10^8 - I think thats the question, correct me if I'm wrong. Also if anyone can explain how they did this one that would be good. I had no clue, so i just took out of stand form went into loads and loads of 00000's… really messy it was.

2 more papers left, do good in them and you got a real chance of getting an A. :biggrin:
I need an A* for my sixth form courses (Fast-track Maths and FM) but I'm getting the feeling I'm dead already! I think the questions were alright up until the last one with the thrown ball parabola thing, but my body decided to betray me more than anything (cramps and migraine thank u) :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TechBlissTV
Just did it too, don't worry about last one, a lot of people would have misunderstood that… i i didn't get an 'answer' but may get 1,2 marks for working.

Heres what i struggled on the most:
- The proof question (last one)
- Inequality graph question (the law firm one) - lost 2 marks
- The standard form complex - 2x10^8 (x^2) = 1.8 x10^8 - I think thats the question, correct me if I'm wrong. Also if anyone can explain how they did this one that would be good. I had no clue, so i just took out of stand form went into loads and loads of 00000's… really messy it was.

2 more papers left, do good in them and you got a real chance of getting an A. :biggrin:

You had to use foil to multiply out the 2 brackets then simplify
Reply 5
The last question was weird I got like -4x^ - 25 which I don't think is right? Also failed the standard form one and the line graphs equation because I suck at mental maths and crossed out the right answer cause I checked it wrong :L
Original post by Manexopi
The last question was weird I got like -4x^ - 25 which I don't think is right? Also failed the standard form one and the line graphs equation because I suck at mental maths and crossed out the right answer cause I checked it wrong :L

Which was the standard form question?! Dont remember it and worried i missed it.. :frown:
Reply 7
Wait....there was a standard form question?????????????????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by daniellee98
Which was the standard form question?! Dont remember it and worried i missed it.. :frown:

The 1.8 x 10 to the 8 one in an equation
Reply 9
Oh dear i think i've missed the standard form question :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
The 1.8 x 10 to the 8 one in an equation

What was the question about?
Are you sure the standard form wasn't Edexcel? I checked the paper at least 3 times and there was no standard form?!?!
Reply 12
Original post by daniellee98
What was the question about?

Wait did you do the unit2 paper or the linear paper?
It was an equation and there was some numbers using standard form in brackets with x^ out the brackets. Then it was like that is equal to 1.8 x10 to the power of something
Reply 13
I did linear non cal paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by JustAnotherExam
Are you sure the standard form wasn't Edexcel? I checked the paper at least 3 times and there was no standard form?!?!

Same here :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait did you do the unit2 paper or the linear paper?
It was an equation and there was some numbers using standard form in brackets with x^ out the brackets. Then it was like that is equal to 1.8 x10 to the power of something

I did AQA Linear paper! thank god! you had me worried for a minute! :smile:
Reply 16
Reply 17

yeh and then i think you put the -1 outside the brackets and factorize using dif of two squares and then you write the because a square will always be positive, multiplying by -1 will always make it negative. i think don't trust me tho. aside from that it was a pretty okay paper.
Original post by BeeBuzz
Wait....there was a standard form question?????????????????

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't remember one either!! slightly worried now:frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Prerana
yeh and then i think you put the -1 outside the brackets and factorize using dif of two squares and then you write the because a square will always be positive, multiplying by -1 will always make it negative. i think don't trust me tho. aside from that it was a pretty okay paper.

Didn't Factorise cause when I did I gr a positive and negative number for x :/
What did you get forthr standard form? I got te wrong answer but I'm hoping for some method marks lol
And the x^-y^ with the fractions?
And for the number between 20 and 30 one was it just the prime numbers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending