Scroll to see replies

Original post by K3lvin
can someone help me here please

for the railway ticket one my answer was wrong but my method looks right

my final answer was £22.40

the adult ticket was 24 divide by 3 =8 to find 1 third of it

the child ticket was 12x2=24
then it was 60% off so i done 60/100*24=14.4

added the 2 together and i got 22.40 where did i go wrong and PLEASE COULD YOU TELL ME IF I GET 2 OR 3 MARKS CHEERS

you were meant to minus the £8 from 24pounds to get £16 which is the dads total. then you were meant to minus the 14.4 pounds from £24 to get 9.60. then u add £9.60 to 16 pounds to get 25.60.

you'll probably drop 2 marks, 1 for the incorrect answer, and the other for not having the exact prices for each person.
Reply 981
for the box plots question when it said to compare the 2 one was right about the median but i worked out the interquartile range and the top one was bigger than the bottoms one, i worked it out and defoo the top was bigger

do i get the mark for this or not
Original post by K3lvin
for the box plots question when it said to compare the 2 one was right about the median but i worked out the interquartile range and the top one was bigger than the bottoms one, i worked it out and defoo the top was bigger

do i get the mark for this or not

No, they had the same interquartile range. 1 mark for talking about medians but they did have the same interquartile range so not 2 marks.
For the competition question, i got between 42/43. would i drop any marks because mr m's mark scheme for tht question is vague.
Also, for the France question about the kilometres, i put 6hours in my working out, and pointd tht answer to the answer space (which i felt there wasnt any) but only wrote 6. would i lose one mark?
also, for the loci question, is there a certain range u hav to be within to get the full marks?
is there a mark scheme for your paper 2?
Reply 985
ok for the loci question, i drew a line from the patio 3m but kinda rubbed out the middle bit and drew an arc in the place and drew an arc from the other bit cant remember what it was called, i drew the arcs and shaded the middle of the 2 arcs how many marks would i get for this
Original post by BlobBolB
For the competition question, i got between 42/43. would i drop any marks because mr m's mark scheme for tht question is vague.
Also, for the France question about the kilometres, i put 6hours in my working out, and pointd tht answer to the answer space (which i felt there wasnt any) but only wrote 6. would i lose one mark?
also, for the loci question, is there a certain range u hav to be within to get the full marks?

It all depends on what you showed in your workings... my son got an answer within the accepted range but he used 3000 instead of 3600 or 4000. He will most likely drop one mark for this.

You've got to be aware that for this type of question it isn't about the answer but how you get it and what you show (it is a QWC question after all). Apart from the fact there is an asterisk next to the question number, the other clue is that there is NO answer line. The mark scheme will be specifically targeting your method of estimation and the approach you took.
Reply 987
i need to get this straight for the prob tree diagram, part a i filled in the first tree which was right

but for the 2 next to it i took 2 from the top and 2 from the bottom so really i had like 7/8 and 2/8 roughly, do i get any marks for this or not
Original post by Hannah18501
is there a mark scheme for your paper 2?

on his first post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's Edexcel GCSE Mathematics 1MA0 Higher Paper 1 Answers June 2014

1. Fractions

a) 221\frac{2}{21} (1 mark)

b) 415\frac{4}{15} (2 marks)

2. Stem and leaf diagrams

0 | 5 9

1 | 3 5 6 8 9 9

2 | 1 2 3 3 5 7 8 9

3 | 1 2 4

4 | 0

Example key: 1 | 3 = 13 minutes (3 marks)

3. Sports Centre

4 females used the gym (4 marks)

4. Family Railcard

£25.60 (4 marks)

5. Questionnaire

Suitable question with time period and answer boxes (2 marks)

6. Algebra

a) 2m2+6m2m^2 + 6m (1 mark)

b) 3xy(y2)3xy(y-2) (2 marks)

7. Pigs in a field

3 pigs (4 marks)

8. Planting a tree

Correct area shaded (3 marks)

9. Transformations

a) Shape with vertices at (0, -1) (-2, -1) (-2, -3) (-1, -3) (2 marks)

b) Shape with vertices at (9, 3) (9, 9) (6, 9) (2 marks)

10. Milk bottles

The 6 pint bottle is the best value for money. (3 marks)

11. Angles in polygons

36 degrees (3 marks)

12. Temperature formula

a) It is not lower than the minimum (3 marks)

b) F=9C5+32F=\frac{9C}{5}+32 (3 marks)

13. Competition

A wide range of answers will be accepted - possibly between 35 and 50. (4 marks)

14. Driving in France

6 hours (4 marks)

15. Quadratic graph

a) Missing values: 2, -1, 2, 7 (2 marks)

b) Correct U shaped parabola (2 marks)

c) x =4 or x = -1 (2 marks)

16. Box plots

a) 0.75 km (2 marks)

b) 20 (2 marks)

c) The median distance in the second half was lower but the interquartile ranges were the same (other comparisons are acceptable) (2 marks)

17. Indices

a) 1 (1 mark)

b) 0.01 (1 mark)

c) 0.002730.00273 , 27.3×10327.3 \times 10^{-3} , 2.73×1032.73 \times 10^3 , 273×102273 \times 10^2 (2 marks)

18. Simultaneous equations

x = 7 and y = -3 (3 marks)

19. Straight lines

y = 0.5x - 5 (3 marks)

20. Similar shapes

x = 6 (3 marks)

21. Circle theorems

55 degrees (3 marks)

22. More algebra

a) 27x6y1227x^6y^{12} (2 marks)

b) x32x1\frac{x-3}{2x-1} (3 marks)

23. Probability tree diagram

a) Missing numbers: 310\frac{3}{10} , 69\frac{6}{9} , 39\frac{3}{9} , 79\frac{7}{9} , 29\frac{2}{9} (2 marks)

b) 815\frac{8}{15} (3 marks)

24. Vectors

Proof (3 marks)

25. Surds

a) 434\sqrt3 (2 marks)

b) 18 (2 marks)

26. Graph transformations

a) (180, 0) (1 mark)

b) (270, -1) (1 mark)

c) a = 2, b = 3, c = 1 (3 marks)

Here is a mock Paper 2 you can use as part of your revision. It is based on an analysis of the content of Paper 1.

Here are Aerosmith's answers to the mock. He is convinced they are right. I haven't checked.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
How do you do Q16b- I got 4 not 20??? thank you :smile:
im doing last minute revision for tomorrow, but I feel confident with all the topics, any suggestions for what I should do? just loads of papers??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 991
Does anyone know how exactly method marks are allocated?

For the France one I used a different (guessed) conversion so got the answer far off but used the right method
For the milk bottle one I did the correct calculations but evaluated it incorrectly
For the circle theorems one I got everything right up to the angle at centre = twice angle at circumference in which I used the wrong angle at the centre (rather stupidly) and therefore got the wrong answer

Could anyone tell me how many marks I would get out of 4, 3 and 3 respectively?
Original post by ella_chloe
im doing last minute revision for tomorrow, but I feel confident with all the topics, any suggestions for what I should do? just loads of papers??

Posted from TSR Mobile

What topics have you revised for mainly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 123monopoly123
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
How do you do Q16b- I got 4 not 20??? thank you :smile:

There was a very important number you had to work with which was 80 (amount of football players who took part). You had to know some of the stuff yourself as well.

The interquartile range is the width of the box in the middle and it represents 50% of the box plot (no matter how wide it will always represent 50%). That means the upper quartile (line going right outwards from the box) and lower quartile (line going left outwards from the box) are each 25%.

25% + 25% + 50% = 100% (all of these quartiles added together make up all of them).

The question asked how many players were in the upper quartile. So you needed to find 25% of 80. 80/4 = 20 people.

I copy pasted this from my other answer, but this should help clarify that question for you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by K3lvin
i need to get this straight for the prob tree diagram, part a i filled in the first tree which was right

but for the 2 next to it i took 2 from the top and 2 from the bottom so really i had like 7/8 and 2/8 roughly, do i get any marks for this or not

I'll be honest I can't work out what you are saying you have done.

How many of the probabilities on the tree did you do correctly?

1st Column = 3/10

2nd column (top to bottom) = 6,3, 7 and 2 (all out of 9)

I would imagine if you get the first column correct (1 probabilty) you aren't going to get 1 mark. I could be wrong but the only actual Edexcel mark scheme I have ever seen for this type of question (in a Unit 1 modular
Exam) only gave you 1 mark for getting 2,3 or 4 correct.
this is going to make me sound stupid as ****, but how do you work out the lower/upper quartile and median?
Original post by BBeyond
this is going to make me sound stupid as ****, but how do you work out the lower/upper quartile and median?

From the graph you have to find the maximum number that you have plot. Once you found that you find what half of that number was and this would give you the median. To find the lower quartile it is the middle number between 0 and your median. To find the upper quartile it is the middle value between the median and your maximum number

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

any number? i need like the general formulas
for question 3 would I have lost a mark if I drew the key but did not write students at the end of it?

Latest

Trending

Trending