The Student Room Group

growing up in the 90's and 2000's

Scroll to see replies

I'm shocked this hasn't been mentioned yet as it had taken over the world by the late 90s. :biggrin:

Reply 61
Original post by Clarabella_Bee
lord almighty I'd completely forgotten mona the vampire was ever a thing

the intro to that show was great
Original post by EggsterminateMe

Fruit farming (this could just be my family but we used to go to the fruit farm a lot)
When there were milkmen who used to give milk in those glass bottles

Where I live we still have a milkman in an electric float who delivers milk in glass bottles!

My family also went to the fruit farm once or twice every summer. Strawberries were my favourite.

Other things (mostly about the 90s because in the year 2000 I was 15):

- Charlie Chalk, Stay Tuned (I always misheard it as 'Staytoons'), Tom & Jerry
- Playing conkers at junior school
- Other playground games - cat's cradle, French skipping, What's the time Mr Wolf, duck-duck-goose and that tennis ball on a string tied round one ankle game (Infants school), clapping games and the handstand game (years 3 & 4), football, wallball and cuppie (years 5 & 6. In cuppie there was only one goal, as soon as you score you're through to the next round, last person or pair to score is out, eventually only 2 people or pairs are left and the first to score wins the whole game)
- The sticker craze of 1993 - 1995
- playing computer games from floppy disks - James Pond, Lemmings, Xenon, Son of Gerinus and a Tetris-like game called Arkenoid
- The Point Horror books
- It might seem a bit insignificant, but I remember a particular type of TV advert where there'd be a still of someone's face close up, and then only their lips would move. I think there was a series of them, but I can't remember what they were advertising - I thought they were really funny for some reason.
- whole days spent outside with my sisters, only coming in for meals
- spending hours reading and then going outside to play in the garden for hours
- a special type of ice cream ice lolly brought out for the summer of Euro '96. It was in the shape of a football boot, without any chocolate round it but with a ball of bubble gum as a football.
(edited 9 years ago)
music was so much better back in the 90's and early 2000's - imo
(edited 9 years ago)
-Pogs/Tazos
-Pokemon
-Gameboys and Gameboy Colours being so cool
-Spending a whole entire music lesson in middle school learning the lyrics to Sk8r Boi :laugh:
-The Pokemon rap!
-SM : TV Live, CD : UK, Wonky Donkey
-It's a Knockout
-Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Top Cat, Wacky Races, Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo
-Goosebumps!
-Scoobies
-This bloody image on everyone's phone:

Spoiler

-Spice Girls, Steps, S Club 7
-School Discos (none of this "prom" crap) where you could buy hot dogs for 50p
-Panda Pops
-Harry Potter
-Trouser skirts
-This:

Spoiler

-When girls used to write on their folders that "<insert name> is 10000000000% fit"
-The Bill (I may or may not have had a little crush on Smithy :blush:)
-Girl's magazines like Mizz or Sugar where the super-embarrassing stories were things like "OMG I went to a party and spilled water and this hot boy saw my bra strap!! O NOEZ"
(edited 9 years ago)
Those weird rubbery/jelly alien toys that came in gunk-filled pods, which apparently became pregnant when you stuck them back-to-back :s-smilie:
Original post by jama mj
nostalgia time!!

what were the best things you remember about being a kid or teenager in the 90's and early 2000's?
I remember when being a 90s kid just meant being a kid and NOT WAFFLING ON ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME :angry:

You got older. So did your parents but you don't hear them waffling about the life of a 70s kid, do you?

:soap:
Reply 67
Swapping Beyblades and Yu-Gi-Oh cards with school friends; not being able to watch 'catch up TV' - if you missed it, you missed it; the Internet making a phone-line sound when you connected to it (you know that 'beeee-buuuuuuuuur' sound?); thinking that 'online gaming' meant I had to plug a keyboard and mouse into my PS2; Nandos was still a really special place to go to eat (and used to be worth the money); there was a stigma attached to buying 'basics' brand food - seriously, you used to see full stacks of blue-and-white or orange-and-white labelled food, but now it is the norm to buy it.

Oh, and Gorillaz - the band that made me realise that music was an actual thing (I was 8 when Demon Days came out)
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know if you all have watched Oswald, Pengu, Bob the builder, Scoobie Doobie do, Pokemon, Powerpuff girls and Mickey Mouse club house xD
Music
TV shows
Potter, Potter, Potter. And Spongebob Square Pants.
Original post by CalebFudgeBrownie
Those weird rubbery/jelly alien toys that came in gunk-filled pods, which apparently became pregnant when you stuck them back-to-back :s-smilie:

Was one of the more weirder crazes that one.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Was one of the more weirder crazes that one.

They left awful stains too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by futuredoctorVSB
Addicted to pokemon! :smile:

Original post by Mick876
Dragonball Z and been able to go into the cockpit of a plane.

Original post by MidnightDream
Pinball
Those Beyblades
Tamogotchi
Neopets
My barbie carriage :love:

Pokemon is still around.
DBZ is coming back.

Beyblade is still atound.
I remember when 5 *(the TV channel) was first aired and life before cable. There was almost always something on then, too.
Original post by Tootles
I remember when being a 90s kid just meant being a kid and NOT WAFFLING ON ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME :angry:

You got older. So did your parents but you don't hear them waffling about the life of a 70s kid, do you?

Actually I spent most of my childhood listening to my parents complain about how kids had better things in the 70s than the 90s and going on about the "good old days"...
Reply 76
Original post by Tootles

I remember people going on about being 80s kids when I was a teen in the early 00s. Like Snowyowl I also remember my parents going on about how much better things were when they were kids, except the late 50s /early 60s instead of 70s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by $$$stackemup$$$
Reading this list man, 90's seem depressing as hell!

How old are you?
Original post by OU Student
I remember when 5 *(the TV channel) was first aired and life before cable. There was almost always something on then, too.

I remember this :biggrin:

The Spice Girls launched it. I think it was around Easter. 100% the quiz show used to be on it when it started.
Reply 79
Original post by Wilfred Little
I remember this :biggrin:

The Spice Girls launched it. I think it was around Easter. 100% the quiz show used to be on it when it started.

I remember being excited about there being a new channel and then disappointed when the shows on turned out to be crap.

Anyone else remember ceefax/teletext?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest