The Student Room Group

Looks are subjective?

This poll is closed

Pool

Subjective - depending who you asking 100%
Objective0%
Total votes: 11
I know that some features are universal like good hair, fitness body. But apart it's subjective depending on person who asking.
Reply 1
It’s a bit of both. There is usually some consensus if someone is stunning. But attractiveness is the real measure and is very much about more than looks. And beauty in the wide sense is very much in the eye of the beholder
I think it's a combination of both...and I think it's also important to understand the difference between what makes someone pretty, and what makes someone attractive.

IMHO, there are certain things that are universally agreed that makes someone pretty. These may include things like good facial symmetry / proportions; good clear healthy skin; a nice smile; button nose; cheekbones; a good physique etc. How pretty someone is (or handsome for guys) depends on how many of these things they have and how well they radiate them.

On the other hand, (IMHO) attractiveness, is more to do with how you present yourself. This includes how you dress and carry yourself; how you wear your hair / make up; your overall vibe etc.

Personally, I think there's not much you can do about how pretty you are (unless you've got some spare cash, and you know a good plastic surgeon)... but anyone can make themselves look attractive, with a bit of help / guidance if they really wanted to.

I know it's a bone of contention here, but the other thing to bear in mind is the whole league malarkey. With those who are "stunners" (i.e. those who have a large quantity of both the pretty and attractive attributes), they will be noticed by most people they meet (well the ones who aren't blind at least lol). However, when it comes to more average people, most will be indifferent... but to those who go for whatever "type" the average person is, they will obviously stand out to them more.
If someone is very ugly or very attractive then it’s usually obvious to everyone, but if someone is more in middle then there’ll be some who kind they’re good looking and some who don’t
Original post by revizorek
I know that some features are universal like good hair, fitness body. But apart it's subjective depending on person who asking.
People say Bella Hadid is the most beautiful in the world but i don't see it. Just because I don't see it doesn't mean i think shes ugly, i just prefer different features. The key word 'prefer'. I think someone is better looking on whats attractive to me, but this doesn't make anyone who doesn't fit those traits to be ugly. This is why i think its subjective 100%.
Not only this but you'll go on social media, see someone with a body that isn't considered "the best" but people will still be giving them compliments. So i don't think there are any universal traits. The only things I can imagine that everyone finds ugly is if they were infested with lice 24/7, or had fungus growing out of them or even like smelling like dog poo - stuff like that.
Original post by cherrycosmos
People say Bella Hadid is the most beautiful in the world but i don't see it. Just because I don't see it doesn't mean i think shes ugly, i just prefer different features. The key word 'prefer'. I think someone is better looking on whats attractive to me, but this doesn't make anyone who doesn't fit those traits to be ugly. This is why i think its subjective 100%.
Not only this but you'll go on social media, see someone with a body that isn't considered "the best" but people will still be giving them compliments. So i don't think there are any universal traits. The only things I can imagine that everyone finds ugly is if they were infested with lice 24/7, or had fungus growing out of them or even like smelling like dog poo - stuff like that.

Yeah I don't think she's the most beautiful either. Definitely beautiful, but not the most beautiful. I'm not convinced there is someone who is the most beautiful, because different people appeal to different tastes. For all I know I might be someone's most handsome man in the world, and to me the most beautiful person I've ever seen is actually one of my friends who I like a lot but know is out of my league.
Original post by cherrycosmos

Original post by Doomotron
Yeah I don't think she's the most beautiful either. Definitely beautiful, but not the most beautiful. I'm not convinced there is someone who is the most beautiful, because different people appeal to different tastes. For all I know I might be someone's most handsome man in the world, and to me the most beautiful person I've ever seen is actually one of my friends who I like a lot but know is out of my league.

I don't know how it was or who decided that Bella Hadid was the world's most beautiful woman, but in the era of "Lads- Mags" (e.g. 90's 00's), FHM magazine would conduct annual public pols on who was... and the number of participants was large enough to be considered an official count. Winners included those you might expect (e.g. Hallie berry, Jenifer Lopez, Jennifer Aniston etc.), but one year apparently Marge Simpson got a respectable place .🤣😯🤪

And yes, I agree that there should be some adverse feature(s) that "Makes" a person ugly (i.e. the opposite of what makes someone "pretty"... something like a lopsided face, a very large wonky nose, missing teeth etc.). However, it seems that people today just use the term Ugly to mean anyone who's not stunning. What ever happened to just normal /average e.g. a simple "Plane Jane"?
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I don't know how it was or who decided that Bella Hadid was the world's most beautiful woman, but in the era of "Lads- Mags" (e.g. 90's 00's), FHM magazine would conduct annual public pols on who was... and the number of participants was large enough to be considered an official count. Winners included those you might expect (e.g. Hallie berry, Jenifer Lopez, Jennifer Aniston etc.), but one year apparently Marge Simpson got a respectable place .🤣😯🤪
And yes, I agree that there should be some adverse feature(s) that "Makes" a person ugly (i.e. the opposite of what makes someone "pretty"... something like a lopsided face, a very large wonky nose, missing teeth etc.). However, it seems that people today just use the term Ugly to mean anyone who's not stunning. What ever happened to just normal /average e.g. a simple "Plane Jane"?

Honestly those people you mentioned wouldn't be the people I'd consider for the list myself, even if Halle was a great Bond girl.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending