The Student Room Group

Cant stop smoking - help?

I currently smoke one 8gram bag of golden virginia smooth every 2 days.

I really want to quit.

Ive tried cutting down, that failed.
Ive tried working through inferior brands of tobacco. That also failed.
Ive bought an E lite but it doesnt taste the same or relieve the symptoms and makes me cough.

Does anyone have any good ideas?
Reply 1
Even though it's a tough habit to kick as the addiction is both strongly physical and psychological just remember it's not impossible. I would suggest you focus on your mental state when your cravings kick in, keep yourself occupied and allow yourself to think of something else.

It would be great if you could use the energy from frustration towards something more productive like a project. Even reading is a good way to distract yourself.
It might also be helpful to practice some meditation when it gets hard. It can help clear your mind, keep you calm and let you focus on why it is that you're quitting.

Remind yourself of your reasons for quitting, how woefully unhealthy smoking is and with every cigarette you poison your bloodstream, cause irreparable damage to your lungs, diminish your health and make yourself age faster. I wish you the best of luck for quitting, it's a great thing to do for yourself and others around you :smile:
If you wholeheartedly want to quit. You will be able to. If part of you still wants to smoke, it will be a struggle.

It's your responsibility and your choice. Addiction or not. Whether you buy tobacco. Light up and smoke a cigarette is entirely your choice and its as simple as making the choice not to do it despite the urge to. I'm not saying its easy, but it really is that simple. It will work if you want it to work, if you make excuses, you don't want to quit that much. You might have occasional slip ups. But remember a slip up doesn't mean you have to fall off the wagon and give up giving up.

E cigs won't taste the same, that's not the point the point is to give you the substance you're addicted to in as close a way as possible without the damage. If you're going to use them to help you, invest in a good one like totally wicked and some good liquids and don't expect it to feel or taste the same, expect it to take the edge off your craving. It makes you cough... Really... Didn't smoking when you started.

If you wholeheartedly want to stop, stop making excuses and do it. If you don't. Carry on.

Quick Reply

Latest