The Student Room Group

Why are football fans so passionate ?

I just want to know why you are really passionate about your team and what made you support them ?

I support Bradford and we have a good away following and the crowds at home is decent to, but at times even when losing the fans dont stop singing, but not just that some can get really aggravated too, buts its all part of being a hardcore supporter. Fans not just Bradford really spend a lot of money on tickets and travel and some even to enhance the atmosphere use flares, flags everything to give their team that edge to win.

I sometimes have other supporters wishing me luck for next season, its a nice gesture, but why do I need luck im not playing, but being a fan is being part of that team. Lets face it without fans football wouldnt be great as it is. Football is greatly entertaining too.

Lastly, what team do you support and why do you think YOUR fans are really passionate. Also why do you support your team and best atmosphere you have witnessed.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cause football is the *******s.
Original post by IMBCFC
I just want to know why you are really passionate about your team and what made you support them ?

I support Bradford and we have a good away following and the crowds at home is decent to, but at times even when losing the fans dont stop singing, but not just that some can get really aggravated too, buts its all part of being a hardcore supporter. Fans not just Bradford really spend a lot of money on tickets and travel and some even to enhance the atmosphere use flares, flags everything to give their team that edge to win.

I sometimes have other supporters wishing me luck for next season, its a nice gesture, but why do I need luck im not playing, but being a fan is being part of that team. Lets face it without fans football wouldnt be great as it is. Football is greatly entertaining too.

Lastly, what team do you support and why do you think YOUR fans are really passionate. Also why do you support your team and best atmosphere you have witnessed.

Thanks

I can understand people from Brad being passionate for Bradford, but what I find weird is 'die hard United fan' from London or Yorkshire
Reply 3
Original post by TheAnusFiles
I can understand people from Brad being passionate for Bradford, but what I find weird is 'die hard United fan' from London or Yorkshire

Exactly glory supporting, they dont know the meaning of supporting a team and never been to an away match
Original post by IMBCFC
Exactly glory supporting, they dont know the meaning of supporting a team and never been to an away match

Even if you have, I can't understand when you support a team from a place you don't belong to
Reply 5
Even if you have, I can't understand when you support a team from a place you don't belong to

Yeah chanting songs about Manchester when you live in London :s-smilie:
Reply 6

It's quite easy.

And I don't particularly like West Ham. Joke club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Because they are sad.
Original post by Ggmu!
It's quite easy.

And I don't particularly like West Ham. Joke club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you are from London and support United, for the sake of supporting a team?
Reply 9
So you are from London and support United, for the sake of supporting a team?

I support them cause my brother told me to when I was a little kid... I didn't have much choice in choosing my team.

Class of 92 mate. Lot of people fell in love with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
I support them cause my brother told me to when I was a little kid... I didn't have much choice in choosing my team.

Class of 92 mate. Lot of people fell in love with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only people without any real connections to football teams beforehand. Are you a Spain fan too?
Reply 11
Only people without any real connections to football teams beforehand. Are you a Spain fan too?

My family moved here in the 70's so no, I have no 'real connection' to football teams.

Does this mean I don't have a right to support a team? Should I wait till we've been here for a few generations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
My family moved here in the 70's so no, I have no 'real connection' to football teams.

Does this mean I don't have a right to support a team? Should I wait till we've been here for a few generations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no if I moved to a new country I'd bring my kids up to support a local team but each to their own
Reply 13
Well no if I moved to a new country I'd bring my kids up to support a local team but each to their own

My parents had no concern for football.

You know, there's no rulebook on what teams should be supported and where from these supporters should be based.

I'm not really into this type of tribalism nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
My parents had no concern for football.

You know, there's no rulebook on what teams should be supported and where from these supporters should be based.

I'm not really into this type of tribalism nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But football is tribalism. That is the mentality behind it. Otherwise its just men in different coloured shirts kicking a ball
Reply 15
But football is tribalism. That is the mentality behind it. Otherwise its just men in different coloured shirts kicking a ball

I suppose.

For me it's about loving the sport itself and the way my club play.

I don't go to games or learn the songs. I'm interested in the football itself. The kicking around is what I love to see most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
it's fun. it's a hobby and identity. you say tribalism, but no different to other sport.
Original post by Ggmu!
I suppose.

For me it's about loving the sport itself and the way my club play.

I don't go to games or learn the songs. I'm interested in the football itself. The kicking around is what I love to see most.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, if that's what you like about it I can't really fault you
Original post by huraga
it's fun. it's a hobby and identity. you say tribalism, but no different to other sport.

In England it is different to other sports
Support who you want. I blame Sky really, most kids now will only support one of the Sky 6 if their parents don't take them to matches from an early age, and most can't afford to go regularly, so the Sky 6 win. Such a piss take.

I think some people who support the glamour clubs often wonder what it'd be like to follow their local clubs and be able to go to matches regularly without getting ripped off on travel & tickets they just won't admit it on here.

Quick Reply

Latest