The Student Room Group

IQ or Top grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Soph96xxx
Very true. I have an IQ of 142, good memory, got good grades.
My sis has an IQ of 100. Terrible memory, grades...not so good lol.

Is that relative to you because 100 is supposedly the average IQ?
Original post by slg60
Is that relative to you because 100 is supposedly the average IQ?

Yeah 'SUPPOSEDLY'!
Original post by BlueSam3
Willingness to work hard at stuff is a significant part of intelligence.

I think yes, they are correlated, but not very tightly. There's people like Mycroft Holmes---lazy, intransigent, but with a brain the size of Israel---and then there's people like the stereotypical East Asian---work hard, work hard, work hard, but maybe of average intelligence at best.

I've got personal experience on this. I've done well on so-called "intelligence" tests, but have not had success in the Canadian educational system because it tests a wide range of mandatory subjects. Social sciences are the most boring thing ever (especially sociology), so I wouldn't even try, and would fail miserably as a result.

But those are outliers. Still, I think the best predictor of success as a whole is the American SAT test. It's a "grade", but it's also so tightly correlated to the IQ test that you may as well CALL IT an IQ test. On the other hand, the ACT test is a crock of sh!t, and so is any test that requires you to write instead of bubble in an answer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sanctimonious
None. You needn't any to be a success.

Evidence

Joey Essex
Peter Andre
Paris Hilton
Kim Kardashian

Its more about who you know and how far you're willing to go.

You must be joking? Being an idiot isn't my definition of success, popularity != wealth/power/status

Both are rubbish indicators one quantifies something fluid the other is just a memory game with little room for creativity.
Original post by DErasmus
You must be joking? Being an idiot isn't my definition of success, popularity != wealth/power/status

Both are rubbish indicators one quantifies something fluid the other is just a memory game with little room for creativity.

In today's capitalist world people equate success with money and the 4 people mentioned have it. In the eyes of many these would be seen as successful people.
Reply 65
For success I would say grades. IQ means you are smart, but that doesn't mean you are putting the work in.
Original post by Sanctimonious
In today's capitalist world people equate success with money and the 4 people mentioned have it. In the eyes of many these would be seen as successful people.

No I don't think they do, you speak of 'people' as though there is some sort of bloc sharing the same sentiments, the reality is quite a lot of people don't consider wealth as the sole indicator of success, even in capitalism.
What is intelligence without information? My perl program won't process sockets if I don't have the module, my point being how can someone make/interpret something if they don't have the adequate information (which has to be memorised).
Whether or not you have a Trillion A*s is pointless if you want to find the cure to Cancer or prove the Riemann Hypothesis.

On the other hand profound intelligence and a bit of inspiration would allow you to be capable of solving these problems and more during your lifetime quite easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by piguy
You'll find a lot of drop-outs got extremely high grades - they usually drop out of very academic places (like Harvard, Stanford etc. not exactly London Met.), so it's safe to say they would have had very good grades - e.g. Zuckerberg, Bill Gates (who famously enrolled at Math 55, supposedly the hardest undergraduate maths course in the world)

And most of them are affluent in the first place.
Original post by arrow900
Whether or not you have a Trillion A*s is pointless if you want to find the cure to Cancer or prove the Riemann Hypothesis.

On the other hand profound intelligence and a bit of inspiration would allow you to be capable of solving these problems and more during your lifetime quite easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hasn't worked for anyone else yet... might want to rephrase that.
Hasn't worked for anyone else yet... might want to rephrase that.

I think you missed the "profound" part of intelligence. The combination itself is incredibly hard to find.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arrow900
I think you missed the "profound" part of intelligence. The combination itself is incredibly hard to find.

Posted from TSR Mobile

'quite easily' you make the very unintelligent assumption that there is an answer to these problems (maybe we can't completely cure all cancers with the resources we have?). Quite easily implys some sort of hindsight... even the greatest minds in hundreds of years have failed to answer these questions.
'quite easily' you make the very unintelligent assumption that there is an answer to these problems (maybe we can't completely cure all cancers with the resources we have?). Quite easily implys some sort of hindsight... even the greatest minds in hundreds of years have failed to answer these questions.

For me success has be due to hard work and an interest in what I am doing. At A level 30 years ago when there was no such thing as retakes i got BC and an O level pass. I got into uni by the skin of my teeth but won the dissertation prize. Doing Masters level study I got a merit and the prize of the school of Education.

I am now doing a PhD as a distance learner. I love my chosen career (Speech and Language Therapist) and I am really enjoying working all day and studying every evening. The question is surely not about my outcome in an IQ test - it is the understanding i have of my subject.

For those of you who think that leaving university means that your studies are over - hahaha
Reply 74
Original post by honeywhite
I think yes, they are correlated, but not very tightly. There's people like Mycroft Holmes---lazy, intransigent, but with a brain the size of Israel---and then there's people like the stereotypical East Asian---work hard, work hard, work hard, but maybe of average intelligence at best.

I've got personal experience on this. I've done well on so-called "intelligence" tests, but have not had success in the Canadian educational system because it tests a wide range of mandatory subjects. Social sciences are the most boring thing ever (especially sociology), so I wouldn't even try, and would fail miserably as a result.

But those are outliers. Still, I think the best predictor of success as a whole is the American SAT test. It's a "grade", but it's also so tightly correlated to the IQ test that you may as well CALL IT an IQ test. On the other hand, the ACT test is a crock of sh!t, and so is any test that requires you to write instead of bubble in an answer.

Rubbish! SAT's and ACT are easy to me because I've done A levels not because of my innate intelligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by rachel2014
For me success has be due to hard work and an interest in what I am doing. At A level 30 years ago when there was no such thing as retakes i got BC and an O level pass. I got into uni by the skin of my teeth but won the dissertation prize. Doing Masters level study I got a merit and the prize of the school of Education.

I am now doing a PhD as a distance learner. I love my chosen career (Speech and Language Therapist) and I am really enjoying working all day and studying every evening. The question is surely not about my outcome in an IQ test - it is the understanding i have of my subject.

For those of you who think that leaving university means that your studies are over - hahaha

What is the point of this post except to say that you did bad in A levels and then went on to do well at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by honeywhite

No, I'm saying that if you aren't willing to work at stuff, then you're not intelligent, a priori. It's a fundamental part of any definition of "intelligent" worth mentioning.

But those are outliers. Still, I think the best predictor of success as a whole is the American SAT test. It's a "grade", but it's also so tightly correlated to the IQ test that you may as well CALL IT an IQ test.

The SAT test is awful and tests functionally nothing worthwhile.

On the other hand, the ACT test is a crock of sh!t, and so is any test that requires you to write instead of bubble in an answer.

This is garbage. If your idea of "intelligence" is limited to ticking boxes, it's not a useful metric of anything.
Original post by Arieisit
What is the point of this post except to say that you did bad in A levels and then went on to do well at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point of the post was to answer your question. It was to give you the background to my opinion which is that success comes from neither having a supposedly high IQ nor top grades. My experience has shown me that success comes from hard work and an interest in what you are doing.

I wish you well in doing the first and having the second.
Interesting thread OP

I know people who are (not stupid, just of the sort you wouldn't assume are geniuses) who get top grades (better than I did in fact. But all that really takes is memorising.

Then I know people are geniuses, can remember anything, and I hang onto every word they say, but they get poor grades due to structure or something else which is unlucky.

However, sometimes these geniuses aren't unlucky and are just plain lazy, and can't be bothered to simply put the work in.

It's a contentious issue. I don't judge anyone with the exception of lazy people and perhaps sexists/racists/homophobics and all those other hate groups.

So perhaps a decent IQ with a valued work ethic? I don't care if they failed as the system isn't perfect, just to know that they tried.
Reply 79
I would say that an IQ test is an indicator of intelligence whereas grades are a measure of someones ability to understand, present and demonstrate ones knowledge in that subject. I would also say that grades are a measure of someones determination and strength.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending