University of York
York
Hiya i'll be doing biology too!
Reply 3
Yeah I'm doin Biology!
Reply 4
me me
Reply 5
Thats good to know!! Are u guys excited about going to york?? I can't wait til freshers week- going to be crazy! Do u know wat accomodation you are in yet?
Reply 6
Excited? definitely! I haven't gotten anything yet though...me being so far away and all
Reply 7
Yeah I'm really excited. I havn't got an accomodation pack yet. I fink I'm gunna try 2 get en-suite.
Reply 8
You guys are in for a treat - biology at York is pretty awesome. Too bad you've narrowly missed Dr. Martin Rumsby, he retired at the end of this last academic year, his lectures were incredible.
Reply 9
Astaroth
You guys are in for a treat - biology at York is pretty awesome. Too bad you've narrowly missed Dr. Martin Rumsby, he retired at the end of this last academic year, his lectures were incredible.

Just what i needed to hear :smile: ! Was going through the phase - wondering whether i made the right choice with york:biggrin:
Reply 10
I am finishing my M.Res. Bioinformatics today..
with the small class sizes, is lecture attendance monitored, or at least noticed?
Reply 12
What small class sizes are you talking about?

Attendance is only mandatory (i.e. a required part of the course) for tutorials. Everything else is pretty much at your discretion.

Most lectures are attended (or are supposed to be attended) by either 110 or 150 people (this depends on whether Biochem students are meant to be there or not). Attendance is never taken for lectures. You WILL miss a lot of lectures whether you intend to or not.

As for practicals, most of them are split into 2 or 3 groups, and even though attendance is not really taken, there may sometimes be a relevant hand-in, so people generally don't miss practical sessions.

As for tutorials, they are conducted in groups of 3 or 4 so you really cannot miss tutorials. Anyway, tutorials are bloody awesome so I don't understand why anyone would ever want to miss one.

(Disclaimer: The above only stands for biology. As far as I know, it's the only department that doesn't take attendance for every session.)
Reply 13
i think what Astaroth says is about undergraduate classes.. in postgraduate classrooms the class size is normally between 20-30 (that is what i used to see in Biology department)..

If you are scoring well in all the modules then attendence is not so important.. In york they watch you closely..
cbaunni
i think what Astaroth says is about undergraduate classes.. in postgraduate classrooms the class size is normally between 20-30 (that is what i used to see in Biology department)..

If you are scoring well in all the modules then attendence is not so important.. In york they watch you closely..

Im thinking of biochem, you see. From Astaroth's numbers, theres about 40 biochem students. Are they always in with biologists, or do they have lectures alone too? In such small numbers, you might be noticed. Im from Imperial and attended about 10% of lectures. No one knew of would care, in a year of about 150+
Reply 15
rock_eleven
Im thinking of biochem, you see. From Astaroth's numbers, theres about 40 biochem students. Are they always in with biologists, or do they have lectures alone too? In such small numbers, you might be noticed. Im from Imperial and attended about 10% of lectures. No one knew of would care, in a year of about 150+

As far as I know (for the 1st year), the only module biochemists had completely on their own (i.e. with no biologists or chemists) was the scientific skills module in term 3. In all their other modules they were either with biologists or with chemists. Of course, biologists and chemists had additional modules that biochemists did not attend.

As I already said, I know for a fact that for undergraduates in the Biology department, the only part of the course you are REQUIRED to attend is the tutorials. You are explicitly told this at the beginning of the year.

The only time I have seen attendance being taken was in an extremely important set of practicals in term 3. (or was it term 2? it's been a while)
Reply 16
I just chanced upon this while looking for the autumn timetables and thought I'd post it:

From this extremely useful website
Attendance

What should you go to? We regard tutorials as a compulsory central component of the programme, and take a very severe view if you miss tutorials without a very good excuse. Attendance at lectures and practicals is not compulsory, but continuous assessment of modules means that you would almost certainly lose some of your final degree marks by not attending, or fail your progression hurdle. In general, we would not be happy with your missing a significant number of lectures or practicals unless your work showed clearly that your biological education was progressing satisfactorily. Some modules may be partly assessed by a practical write-up. Note that to submit work for assessment from a practical that you have not attended is academic misconduct.

Biochemistry students should note that attendance at all Chemistry practical classes is compulsory. You will contacted by the Secretary of the Biochemistry Executive Committee if you fail to attend without good reason and without contacting the practical organiser in advance and excusing your absence.
ah, great link Astaroth. I had been there before a while ago but couldnt find it again now. Theres all the module synopses too, for each year. Win, thanks

--Joe
Reply 18
Is it true that the biologists have the earliest lectures??
Reply 19
Um, well yes, you will have 9:15s every morning, but that isn't just for biology, I'm sure many other departments have this. Don't worry, you'll get used to it, you will just wake up for your 9:15 and as soon as it's over you will just go back to bed since you usually won't have anything else until after lunch.

Latest