The Student Room Group

Is it OK to wear a white jacket to a wedding?

So, I know it is generally frowned upon for a wedding guest to wear a white dress. Would you say it's acceptable for a wedding guest to wear a white jacket, provided that the dress she is wearing it over is not white?

My dress is pale green with white spots and I can't find anything to wear over it that looks ok, other than this white jacket. I'm a bit clueless about weddings (never been to one before) and clothes generally, so figured it'd be worth asking people's opinions - I don't want to attract adverse attention for the way I am dressed...
Original post by Flourella
So, I know it is generally frowned upon for a wedding guest to wear a white dress. Would you say it's acceptable for a wedding guest to wear a white jacket, provided that the dress she is wearing it over is not white?

My dress is pale green with white spots and I can't find anything to wear over it that looks ok, other than this white jacket. I'm a bit clueless about weddings (never been to one before) and clothes generally, so figured it'd be worth asking people's opinions - I don't want to attract adverse attention for the way I am dressed...

It is bad luck to wear green to a wedding

But, if the bride is not in white and you do not stand near her for the photos you should get away with your jacket
Yeah it should be fine; it's not like you are wearing a white dress. Just take it off if you are in photos with the bride out of politeness because she might mind but she might not want to tell you
Don't worry, I'm going to a wedding and I will be wearing a white dress and I'm not worried about 'not wearing white' thing. However I have everything else including my blazer in mint/turquoise. So as long as you not dressed in white completely you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with the above users, it's not like your whole outfit is white so you should be fine :smile: but like satanicgecko said, maybe take it off for the photos
I'm sure it'd be fine. It's not like you'll be turning up in a floor-length white gown.
Reply 6
Thanks very much everyone for your help - pretty happy about it now. Also relieved - I'd already bought the white jacket when it occurred to me that maybe it might not be OK to wear it, plus the wedding's next Saturday and I'm pretty busy this week so it would've been awkward to find something else in time!

Thanks again.
Original post by Flourella

You can wear white jackets at the weddings, nothing wrong in it.
The jacket will be fine. It's not the dress that will be white so it's all good. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Well, more and more brides accept bridesmaids wear white, it's surely ok to wear white for you as the guest.
And you are not going to wear a white gown but just a jacket.
The last thing, it's a good idea to take off the jacket when taking photos with bride.
of course yes and its color white so there will be no problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest