The Student Room Group

Mini Project Ideas for Computer Science degree

So I am preparing to apply for Computer Science degrees at Bath, Birmingham, Exeter, Glasgow, Newcastle and York (I'll remove one when I have been to all the open days).

Basically, to set myself apart I want to complete an extended project sort of thing. I do it in my own time and something that will take up my summer so I can set myself apart from other student who are also planning on doing a CompSci degree.

Basically, I bought this book: Programming Principles and Practice in C++ (Stroustrup) and I've completed 121 pages worth of understanding and practicing C++, granted this book has about 1200 pages in total, but I did in this 3 days so I believe I can finish this whole book in about a month, granted I keep at it which I think I will because it is really interesting.

So far with the skills I have aquired, I have successfully completed 2 (Yea ikr, loads!!) Project Euler projects: the one pythagorean triple which sums to 1000 and the sum of all natural numbers below 1000 which either multiples of 3 or 5. I know not very difficult but with 3 days of C++ learning (and a bit of arithmetic knowledge) well I thought was pretty decent.

However, I want to something a bit bigger. It'll take me a while to complete the whole book and learn about GUI elements and such but just something that I can write on my personal statement that gives me a better chance at earning an offer at Uni.

So if anyone has any ideas which aren't like building your own OS etc. but not small like those project euler things then it would be much appreciated.

Also, if anyone who is currently doing or has firmed an offer for a CompSci degree could tell what they have/haven't done it would also help a lot!

Thanks
Reply 1
I had offers from three of your choices - Bath, Birmingham and York (ended up firming Bath) so feel free to ask any questions.

Project-wise, how about a simple game or similar, like a Sudoku generator/solver, or two-player connect four. You can start with a command-line interface and then create a GUI as you get more experienced and comfortable.
Original post by Damask-
I had offers from three of your choices - Bath, Birmingham and York (ended up firming Bath) so feel free to ask any questions.

Project-wise, how about a simple game or similar, like a Sudoku generator/solver, or two-player connect four. You can start with a command-line interface and then create a GUI as you get more experienced and comfortable.

I was thinking of doing something like that, but it seems too simple. It probably isn't but I mean, other kids must be doing things like making their own business and coding their own website etc.

Did you do anything? And what grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by simpletech668
I was thinking of doing something like that, but it seems too simple. It probably isn't but I mean, other kids must be doing things like making their own business and coding their own website etc.

Did you do anything? And what grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Websites by themselves (the starting point being HTML, CSS and JavaScript) are easy, but the functionality you might want (dynamic content, database interaction etc.) aren't as easy, admittedly. As a rule though, CS courses care more about your compiled languages than anything dynamic you do online. Don't waste your time with web stuff unless you already have the basics down and can do some actual web programming.

I read a few books (The New Turing Omnibus being the best one, I think) did about 40-50 Project Euler problems (sadly it's down now and won't allow you to actually submit any answers) and I did A2 Computing so I spent Upper 6th building a simple enough system that allowed my college's Physics Department to created quizzes and upload them to Moodle to be marked automatically. Check out the write-up (missing the user guide) here.

My grades are in my sig - A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Computing + AC at AS in English Language and Physics.
Original post by Damask-
Websites by themselves (the starting point being HTML, CSS and JavaScript) are easy, but the functionality you might want (dynamic content, database interaction etc.) aren't as easy, admittedly. As a rule though, CS courses care more about your compiled languages than anything dynamic you do online. Don't waste your time with web stuff unless you already have the basics down and can do some actual web programming.

I read a few books (The New Turing Omnibus being the best one, I think) did about 40-50 Project Euler problems (sadly it's down now and won't allow you to actually submit any answers) and I did A2 Computing so I spent Upper 6th building a simple enough system that allowed my college's Physics Department to created quizzes and upload them to Moodle to be marked automatically. Check out the write-up (missing the user guide) here.

My grades are in my sig - A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Computing + AC at AS in English Language and Physics.

Yea I know basic HTML and CSS, nothing that could allow me to make a great website!

Yea I've heard that's pretty good so I was going to see if I could borrow that from my local library! And I'm actually doing something similar to that except I'm building a VLE for my school just without the networking capabilities. It's moving along pretty well and I'll be improving all the GUI elements because at the minute they're pretty primitive and to be fair not great!

And well I'm never going to get any of those grades! I should be able to get 3 As but my teacher was saying that Bath give quite a bit importance to AQA Computing A level. He was saying that they will reduce the grade boundaries to AAB if they see that you have a B in AQA Computing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
my teacher was saying that Bath give quite a bit importance to AQA Computing A level. He was saying that they will reduce the grade boundaries to AAB if they see that you have a B in AQA Computing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's very true. :smile: They're one of the ones who aren't snobbish towards Computing as an A-Level, and I believe anyone regardless of exam board (so OCR and WJEC too) would receive a lower offer. Bath interview for CS but not in the same way as York or Birmingham, it seems.

At York it felt more like a formal interview with problems to solve and the expectation that you'd have questions to ask the interviewer etc. At Birmingham they don't interview before giving out offers but at any point they might invite you to a day of problem-solving exercises and an informal follow-up chat to decide whether they'd like to offer you a Scholarship (if you firm them.) In contrast at Bath it really was more of an informal discussion but it was still pre-offer. Some people I spoke to were even asked whether, in the case of them not having taken A-Level Computing and therefore not getting a lower offer, they'd rather have AAA (the standard offer on their website) or A*AB.

Don't forget your complexity marks regarding COMP 4! They're by far the most important thing that will guarantee you stay in the A*-B bracket. Don't have any O(n2) algorithms? Find an excuse to Bubblesort a list. Using OOP is also another easy way to get bumped up complexity-wise, even if (like in the case of my own project) it's terrible OOP. :smile:
Reply 6
Yea I know basic HTML and CSS, nothing that could allow me to make a great website!

Yea I've heard that's pretty good so I was going to see if I could borrow that from my local library! And I'm actually doing something similar to that except I'm building a VLE for my school just without the networking capabilities. It's moving along pretty well and I'll be improving all the GUI elements because at the minute they're pretty primitive and to be fair not great!

And well I'm never going to get any of those grades! I should be able to get 3 As but my teacher was saying that Bath give quite a bit importance to AQA Computing A level. He was saying that they will reduce the grade boundaries to AAB if they see that you have a B in AQA Computing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason that A level computing isn't asked for in University entry is that it isn't offered in a lot of sixth forms and colleges. It's also because the content from Computing is the same as a lot of the first year content from most Universities.
Original post by Damask-
That's very true. :smile: They're one of the ones who aren't snobbish towards Computing as an A-Level, and I believe anyone regardless of exam board (so OCR and WJEC too) would receive a lower offer. Bath interview for CS but not in the same way as York or Birmingham, it seems.

At York it felt more like a formal interview with problems to solve and the expectation that you'd have questions to ask the interviewer etc. At Birmingham they don't interview before giving out offers but at any point they might invite you to a day of problem-solving exercises and an informal follow-up chat to decide whether they'd like to offer you a Scholarship (if you firm them.) In contrast at Bath it really was more of an informal discussion but it was still pre-offer. Some people I spoke to were even asked whether, in the case of them not having taken A-Level Computing and therefore not getting a lower offer, they'd rather have AAA (the standard offer on their website) or A*AB.

Don't forget your complexity marks regarding COMP 4! They're by far the most important thing that will guarantee you stay in the A*-B bracket. Don't have any O(n2) algorithms? Find an excuse to Bubblesort a list. Using OOP is also another easy way to get bumped up complexity-wise, even if (like in the case of my own project) it's terrible OOP. :smile:

Ohhh, that's interesting because when I went to Bath, they said that they don't usually ask for interviews and I've heard that York interviews are really informal and just ask you some sort of question.... Well, I'll soon find out!!

And also, my teacher was going on about bubble sort and I'll be trying to fit that in, probably to sort students names or something just for the sake of it!! And what's OOP? Rings a bell but can't quite remember what it stands for.

Also, do you reckon doing the British Informatics Olympiad and getting the threshold mark of like 20% is worth putting on a personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cnova
The reason that A level computing isn't asked for in University entry is that it isn't offered in a lot of sixth forms and colleges. It's also because the content from Computing is the same as a lot of the first year content from most Universities.

Yea when I went to Bath Open day, the first year student was telling us about what they did and most of it was what we are doing rn, so I guess it was a good idea to take computing!! All is not lost!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Ohhh, that's interesting because when I went to Bath, they said that they don't usually ask for interviews and I've heard that York interviews are really informal and just ask you some sort of question.... Well, I'll soon find out!!

And also, my teacher was going on about bubble sort and I'll be trying to fit that in, probably to sort students names or something just for the sake of it!! And what's OOP? Rings a bell but can't quite remember what it stands for.

Also, do you reckon doing the British Informatics Olympiad and getting the threshold mark of like 20% is worth putting on a personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath definitely interview for compsci if you live in the UK, but not for many other subjects.

OOP is the object-oriented paradigm - the AQA Comp 3 Wikibook has a good section on it :smile: It's annoying (the Bubblesort thing) but your teacher is right, it's good to have.

Maybe just put that you did it rather than the mark?
Original post by Damask-
Bath definitely interview for compsci if you live in the UK, but not for many other subjects.

OOP is the object-oriented paradigm - the AQA Comp 3 Wikibook has a good section on it :smile: It's annoying (the Bubblesort thing) but your teacher is right, it's good to have.

Maybe just put that you did it rather than the mark?

Ahhhh okay, thanks for that!

That's it, I remember now!! Haha thanks! Yea my teacher just said do something to sort students in a list or class!

We haven't started COMP3 yet because we are doing COMP4 till the end of term then do COMP3 for until the exam.

And I got a certificate for getting the mark so I'll just say I took part and got a certificate or something along those lines....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending