The Student Room Group

Private Parking FInes

I heard that it's illegal to be clamped / fined/ towed away in non-public areas.

So which of the following scenarios can I park and get away without paying charges/ fine ?

1) Parking in a hotel car park (no barriers) where it says £x per hour and not paying ?

2) Parking in a multi-story (with barriers) and not paying ?

3) Parking in residents only parking on a private road in a new block of flats ?

4) Parking on someones drive

5) Parking at Alton Thorpe Park and not paying £10 like everyone else
6) parking in supermarket for more than (3?) hours
Reply 2
If it's council pay up. If it's private they are entitled to claim compensation from you for actual loss of earnings and NOT the mickey mouse "penalty charges" that they try to bully you in to paying.

So, with private parking either offer to pay what it would have cost for your overstay, or, ignore all correspondence.
DO ask for a POPLA appeal number if they reject your offer of paying them 20p or whatever the normal extra charge would be as they have to hand over 25 quid to give you this and they can't claim it back either.

I've got a company trying to charge me £75 for overstaying in a free to use public carpark. Given it was free and the majority of spaces were empty I'm interested to see what their actual out of pocket expenses are going to be if it ever goes to court. As you can imagine I'm deeply hoping that it does so for a giggle since I'll be claiming costs of a full days wages plus travel expenses for a personal court appearance! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by JC.
If it's council pay up. If it's private they are entitled to claim compensation from you for actual loss of earnings and NOT the mickey mouse "penalty charges" that they try to bully you in to paying.

So, with private parking either offer to pay what it would have cost for your overstay, or, ignore all correspondence.
DO ask for a POPLA appeal number if they reject your offer of paying them 20p or whatever the normal extra charge would be as they have to hand over 25 quid to give you this and they can't claim it back either.

I've got a company trying to charge me £75 for overstaying in a free to use public carpark. Given it was free and the majority of spaces were empty I'm interested to see what their actual out of pocket expenses are going to be if it ever goes to court. As you can imagine I'm deeply hoping that it does so for a giggle since I'll be claiming costs of a full days wages plus travel expenses for a personal court appearance! :biggrin:

Thanks JC

So as the law stands you can park on someones driveway and it isn't punishable ?

I don't need to pay for parking when I go to a hotel then, and if they clamp me I just call the cops ?

And I can park at Tescos for a whole week if I please ? :smile:
Original post by antipesto93
6) parking in supermarket for more than (3?) hours

You definiteley don't have to pay this one. The Asda by me always do this and if you don't pay nothing happens.
Reply 5
Original post by redferry
You definiteley don't have to pay this one. The Asda by me always do this and if you don't pay nothing happens.

If you left it a week I reckon they'd clamp

I wonder if you can park in the disabled too
Original post by RevPAR

You probably can, but you'd be a douchebag.
Reply 7
Original post by redferry
You probably can, but you'd be a douchebag.

Oh I wouldn't, don't get me wrong.

I'm just saying that it would not been punishable by law if I drove lengthwise across 3 disabled bays in a supermarket, but it would be punishable if the council owned the car park.
Reply 8
Original post by RevPAR

I'm just saying that it would not been punishable by law if I drove lengthwise across 3 disabled bays in a supermarket, but it would be punishable if the council owned the car park.

While they couldn't penalise you for it directly, the supermarket would be quite within their rights to ban you from visiting, then do you in for trespass if you later flouted that ban. Or they could just charge you double for your groceries. :wink:
Original post by RevPAR

I don't think it would, no.
Reply 10
Original post by RevPAR
Thanks JC

So as the law stands you can park on someones driveway and it isn't punishable ?

I don't need to pay for parking when I go to a hotel then, and if they clamp me I just call the cops ?

And I can park at Tescos for a whole week if I please ? :smile:

Someone once parked on my driveway.
I parked behind them and told them they could collect their car the following day as I wasn't planning on starting my car again that day.
Guy called the Police... "civil matter, nothing we can do sir".
They returned 24 hours later for their property...

Is it punishable? No... but people can get their own back if you're being unreasonable.

If you leave your car in Tesco's for a whole week they'll assume it's abandoned and have it towed.
Reply 11
Original post by RevPAR

Depends... from a legal point of view if it's a private carpark it's just lines painted on the ground that don't mean anything.
Council carpark will get you a ticket if you don't have a blue badge.

You're a cock if you do park in disabled bays without a blue badge though...

Parent and child bays are fine, though... no reason to be inconvenienced because someone can't keep their knees together. Not to mention they tend to have wider bays which is useful if you've got a nice car and don't want to pick up parking dings from muppets that can't work out how far to open their doors!
Reply 12
Original post by JC.
Someone once parked on my driveway.
I parked behind them and told them they could collect their car the following day as I wasn't planning on starting my car again that day.
Guy called the Police... "civil matter, nothing we can do sir".
They returned 24 hours later for their property...

Is it punishable? No... but people can get their own back if you're being unreasonable.

If you leave your car in Tesco's for a whole week they'll assume it's abandoned and have it towed.

Brilliant :smile:

Is it legal to have your car towed off though ?
Original post by JC.

You're a cock if you do park in disabled bays without a blue badge though...

Parent and child bays are fine, though... no reason to be inconvenienced because someone can't keep their knees together. Not to mention they tend to have wider bays which is useful if you've got a nice car and don't want to pick up parking dings from muppets that can't work out how far to open their doors!

TBH it's really annoying when you see someone parking in parent and child bay minus kids. The spaces are wider to allow you to open doors wider so you can lift a child in & out(with or without carry cot or pram on backseat) as you need more room than just squeezing yourself out (unless person is a fat git). It's safer and prevents parent trying to get kid out in a smaller space which is more likely to create dings in neighbouring cars and kids also do have a habit of swinging doors wide open.
Reply 14
Original post by laalNick
TBH it's really annoying when you see someone parking in parent and child bay minus kids. The spaces are wider to allow you to open doors wider so you can lift a child in & out(with or without carry cot or pram on backseat) as you need more room than just squeezing yourself out (unless person is a fat git). It's safer and prevents parent trying to get kid out in a smaller space which is more likely to create dings in neighbouring cars and kids also do have a habit of swinging doors wide open.

What if you are fortunate enough to own a wide car and need a large bay ?
Original post by RevPAR
What if you are fortunate enough to own a wide car and need a large bay ?

If you buy a wide car and didn't care about the average sized parking space you have to try squeeze it into then I'm guessing then you are probably one of those people that park in the middle of 2 ordinary parking bays so no one can park beside you! Or like the other day when I returned to my car only to find some big 4x4 parked in the bay beside me trapping me in so I had to climb through the passenger side to drivers seat as couldn't get to or open the drivers door. But parent-child parking is for safety not protecting someone's car which is worth less than a life.
Reply 16
Original post by laalNick

They are perfect for people who own decent cars - too many prats that just open their door onto you!

I did once have some silly fat woman challenge me about it when I went to Tesco's in our Daimler. I just patted the roof and said "this is my baby". :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending