The Student Room Group

Physics vs History/Photgraphy A level for medicine?

I have to my make my decision as to which a levels I'm going to take within the next week and I'm unsure what to take.

I plan to study medicine at uni and my original choices were : Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I planned to drop physics the second year.

However, I heard that people with a non science subject have an advantage because they're different so I planned to replace physics with either history because it's a decision based subject or photography. I didn't do history at GCSE so I don't know what it's like.

I'm was good at physics at gcse and i was wondering what history a level is like and whether I should do history or photography instead of physics and if it's worth doing it and coming out with a bad grade.:confused:
People with an alternative subject do not have an advantage at all, I think UCL is perhaps the only university to say this. Which do you enjoy most? You have three very suitable choices for medicine so I'd advise you to choose the subject you like most and are more likely to get a top grade in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
History is brilliant for university skill such as source analysis, independent research and extended writing, but mainly in the second year...
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
People with an alternative subject do not have an advantage at all, I think UCL is perhaps the only university to say this. Which do you enjoy most? You have three very suitable choices for medicine so I'd advise you to choose the subject you like most and are more likely to get a top grade in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes sense :smile: I enjoy physics the most because im a bit of a maths nerd and I think i'd be more likely to get a good grade in it, but I have a feeling that photography would be more fun
History is a far better choice than photography; you learn skills such as extended writing and independent research that will really set you up for uni, but mainly in year 2. A good, all round subject tho!
Original post by salmaomarie
Makes sense :smile: I enjoy physics the most because im a bit of a maths nerd and I think i'd be more likely to get a good grade in it, but I have a feeling that photography would be more fun

Photography isn't a very respected subject for something like medicine, so just choose the one you'd enjoy more out of physics or history. You're not at a disadvantage for doing all sciences so don't feel like you can't take physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by salmaomarie
x

If you want to do Physics and you think you're capable of getting a good grade in it, then go for it. At the end of the day you need to fairly sure you can get an A/B grade at AS for the fourth subject...other than that just go with what you enjoy :smile: You will not be disadvantaged by studying three sciences and maths. There are other ways to show that you're well-rounded :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest