The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

When should I arrive at Manchester?

Hello. I am an international student starting in Manchester this September

and I would like to know that if I fly to Manchester on the 14th Sept (probably around after lunch), will it be too late?

I'm worried I won't have time to do all the preparing stuff (since I don't even know what we have to do when we actually arrive there, but I guess unpacking/buying groceries or whatever)

Please help me! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi! I will be a EU student, so I am also arriving in Manchester from outside UK. I am not sure if arriving on the 14th is too late, but I guess not really ... although you will miss the activities on orientation week, activities that are not mandatory, but the staff at the university strongly recommends that international and EU student attend these activities as they aim to give you information that is important for your stay in Manchester and to help you with your studies. There is this core presentation which you should attend. It is held also on the 14th, but I am not sure about the hour ...

As for unpacking, buying stuff and whatever, I think you should not worry. The first week (15th September - 21st Sept.) will be the welcome week, so you will have time to prepare yourself for the actual start of the courses and things like that.

What will you be studying ??
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by VladCa
Hi! I will be a EU student, so I am also arriving in Manchester from outside UK. I am not sure if arriving on the 14th is too late, but I guess not really ... although you will miss the activities on orientation week, activities that are not mandatory, but the staff at the university strongly recommends that international and EU student attend these activities as they aim to give you information that is important for your stay in Manchester and to help you with your studies. There is this core presentation which you should attend. It is held also on the 14th, but I am not sure about the hour ...

As for unpacking, buying stuff and whatever, I think you should not worry. The first week (15th September - 21st Sept.) will be the welcome week, so you will have time to prepare yourself for the actual start of the courses and things like that.

What will you be studying ??

Thank you for the response :smile: I have checked with the Orientation team and they said the exact same thing :smile:) I will try to go to the core presentation if the time (and flight) allows.
I'll be studying Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering!
Reply 3
Hi! I am a Eu student from Italy and I was wondering the same thing. I was planning on coming around the 10th of september, I hope it's not too late! Where are you from?
Original post by kappa1995
Hi! I am a Eu student from Italy and I was wondering the same thing. I was planning on coming around the 10th of september, I hope it's not too late! Where are you from?

I'm from Thailand :smile: If you are going on the 10th, I think its actually ok because from uni website they say accommodation contract might only start around then (i think..?) and you'll still have a lot of time to unpack/look around for a few days.
Reply 5
ok thank you :smile: I think I might arrive around that date then!
Hey, that will definitely be too late! Orientation for international students is on the 12th and it says it's compulsory, so you might be in trouble if you get there later.
Reply 7
Hi! I'm an EU student from Italy and I was wondering the same thing! where are you from? I was planning to arrive around the 10th of september, I hope it's not too late!
Reply 8
Original post by alejandro_o
Hey, that will definitely be too late! Orientation for international students is on the 12th and it says it's compulsory, so you might be in trouble if you get there later.

Is it compulsory ?! I was informed that none of the events are mandatory unless you are a Study Abroad and exchange, ERASMUS or Science without Borders student. The university indeed strongly recommends to attend the core presentations on the orientation program, but they are not mandatory from what I know.
Reply 9
Hi! I'm an EU student from Italy and I was wondering the same thing! where are you from? I was planning to arrive around the 10th of september, I hope it's not too late!

Hi ! I'm from Romania. If you arrive on the 10th you will definitely not be too late. You will actually be a bit too early I think.
Original post by VladCa
Is it compulsory ?! I was informed that none of the events are mandatory unless you are a Study Abroad and exchange, ERASMUS or Science without Borders student. The university indeed strongly recommends to attend the core presentations on the orientation program, but they are not mandatory from what I know.

Oh yeah maybe not. It's probably better to go to these things, but if you really can't I guess you'll be okay.
Hope you don't mind, I have a question for existing students, as I am a transfer student going onto Year 3 in Manchester Business School.

As I see on their website that the term starts on 15 September. Does it mean proper lessons do start on 15 September or it is actually an orientation week? and proper lessons starts the week after 15 Sep?

And also can anyone verify if do we need to attend the orientation week(especially the talk for international students?)

Thanks!
Original post by goodenuff
Hope you don't mind, I have a question for existing students, as I am a transfer student going onto Year 3 in Manchester Business School.

As I see on their website that the term starts on 15 September. Does it mean proper lessons do start on 15 September or it is actually an orientation week? and proper lessons starts the week after 15 Sep?

And also can anyone verify if do we need to attend the orientation week(especially the talk for international students?)

Thanks!

Hi I'm also an international student but I think the week of 15 September is mostly an introduction week.

PS: Is anyone else not having their rooms open until 14th? This means I will miss the orientation things on the 12th as well :frown:
Well I think 10th is good! But a day or two later wouldn't be a problem too. I'm an international student from Hong Kong, but I have been am international student in Singapore for my past education! Most importantly just take note of any orientation programmes you would like to attend and arrange accordingly. If I didn't remember wrongly accommodation is open to us only from 10th onwards!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Kappa I'm from Italy too and I'm planning to arrive Saturday 11th! Stay in a hotel I guess and then start the year fresh and on time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending