The Student Room Group

Pro Bono work C.V

I've just finished my second year of university and I am currently waiting for my results. I'm going to apply for pro bono work in Law. I've just finished editing my C.V. and feedback would be really helpful so if anyone has any constructive criticism that would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Well, it looks good to me - you address all the usual stuff - not sure you need to list all the constituent parts of law - ie public law, contract law - I mean, they'll geddit right? It's a bit studey perhaps? Your commercial awareness bit could easily have some actual evidence of something you have experienced in there I suppose - or you could add an element of commercial awareness to your charity experience or bar work paras - commercial awareness isn't a vacuum, it's just an important consideration regarding pretty much everything - ie red cross pricing policy which you probably worked with yourself. Ditto bar work - probably an remark about commercial awareness you could make in that section.

I personally might edit it to remove my referees details from a public forum!!!

You kept it to two pages - always a good sign in a newbie. Other than that - perhaps have a think about whether you want to apply for work experience or pro bono work. I mean, aren't you looking for work ex and not pro bono? Think who will read your letter first when you submit it and what they will be more used to ie the secretary. Also, address why law a bit in your cover letter.

You sound v professional but ever-so-slightly scary - I mean, what if a law firm could only offer you some shadowing and helping out on this and that? This wouldn't fit the bill of what you are seeking - maybe add in 'keen to learn at all levels' kind of thought? Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending